• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Be Careful When Reps Manipulate Your Points

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a situation occur yesterday that I have had happen once before. Called in to Wyndham Presidential Reserve to make a reservation from cancelled Pres Points.. and not touch Regular Pres Points which would be drawn from first online. Everything seemed to go fine. Next day [today], I take a look and Not only did they change the use year from Dec 2012 expiration to Sept expiration on the Reg Pres Points... but they moved 5/7ths of the 2013 Dec expiration allocation into 2012 to expire Dec 2012... then completely erased over 1.5 Million Regular Club Wyndham Plus Points from a handful of contracts from 2013 (future years)... [keep in mind, no 2013 reservations were ever made.. ever in this member #)... during the manipulation of points to reissue reg presidential points and take from cancelled presidential points... The Presidential Reserve representative completely screwed up the account. I have a high attention to detail (and have had similar situations occur in the past), called in asap this morning, and obviously I am being told it is fixed and will be reflected tomorrow online.. and it was all fault of a "system glitch" HAH! I know for a fact it is "operator error" but eh.... Just a word of caution... if you ever have a Wyndham Representative manipulate your points... take a SCREEN SHOT of your points summary that day before it updates... to see if there manipulation work is valid the next morning... has saved me one time when I had to prove their mistake... others like this example are more obvious and don't need proof.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe part of the reason the stock is up big in another post, some people don't catch this ...

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to send the operator $100 not to mess up your account.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Recently I cancelled one reservation and expected to use the points for a upgraded alternative. The cancelled points were not available for 48 hours. I was concerned that the upgrade option would be taken so I called Wyndham. After three tries it is still not quite right. They still have 57k points moved from 2013 into 2012. I probably will pool these along with another 200k still remaining in 2012, so I just gave up.

I am not too convinced that there is any high priced talent at the other end of the line. But, I don't believe that they are intentionally trying to deceive the owners.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Recently I cancelled one reservation and expected to use the points for a upgraded alternative. The cancelled points were not available for 48 hours. I was concerned that the upgrade option would be taken so I called Wyndham. After three tries it is still not quite right. They still have 57k points moved from 2013 into 2012. I probably will pool these along with another 200k still remaining in 2012, so I just gave up.

I am not too convinced that there is any high priced talent at the other end of the line. But, I don't believe that they are intentionally trying to deceive the owners.

For canceled points they may not show under the points screen for up to 48 hours but they are available for use via the computer. If you go into the reservations section and go ahead and make a new reservation, you will see when you get to the right screen that they are showing available for use in real time. This is assuming they went back into a use year that is within the usable timeframes.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
rrlongwell

Maybe you have some magic that I don't have. It was on a Saturday that I cancelled and tried to rebook online. I needed 350k for the new booking and had only 293k left without the 231k I just cancelled. The online system kept repeating that I did not have enough points. Where exactly should I have gone? I tried on Sunday and still did not have the points available.

I am certainly willing to learn more about the online system.:)

rrlongwell

Reaction score
rrlongwell

Maybe you have some magic that I don't have. It was on a Saturday that I cancelled and tried to rebook online. I needed 350k for the new booking and had only 293k left without the 231k I just cancelled. The online system kept repeating that I did not have enough points. Where exactly should I have gone? I tried on Sunday and still did not have the points available.

I am certainly willing to learn more about the online system.:)

When you cancelled your reservation and looked at it under the on-line points section, did they show up in a usable use year or in a future start date for a use year? Sometimes when you cancel points it throws them to a future use year.

To check what I am talking about, go back to the points screen and look at the begining date for use and the ending date for use. The system may have put them back into a future use year. As far as I can tell, this happens mostly when you make a reservation that lets you use, for instance, this years points that expire in December 2012 for a Januray 2013 reservation (I know, some people say that the computer does not let you do this). The cancelled point would show up in a use year that had January 2013 in it. This effectively extends the time frame to use the points, but shorts you on the short term by moving them out of a current use year. I have had this happen to me.

The reverse can also happen. You can borrow points, if available, and schedule a reservation in the near future. This would then drop the cancelled points into the current use year, effectively moving up the date that they have to be used by. I spent a significant amount of time last year experimenting to learn what happens when on managing my points.

Last edited:

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
rrlongwell, you are correct that although the point summary may not be updated that day, cancelled points from a cancel reservation [in that day] are available to immediately re-book.... however, I have now encountered the same issue as jebloomquist.... I cancelled a reservation to rebook different dates, and the cancelled points are not available to re-book the reservation... effectively not represented anywhere (point summary or available points in initial booking of a reservation)... I believe this may be because it is the weekend....?? and that it may take a day for the cancelled points to become avail ..?? never had this occur.. coincidence it was just mentioned by jebloomquist.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
rrlongwell, you are correct that although the point summary may not be updated that day, cancelled points from a cancel reservation [in that day] are available to immediately re-book.... however, I have now encountered the same issue as jebloomquist.... I cancelled a reservation to rebook different dates, and the cancelled points are not available to re-book the reservation... effectively not represented anywhere (point summary or available points in initial booking of a reservation)... I believe this may be because it is the weekend....?? and that it may take a day for the cancelled points to become avail ..?? never had this occur.. coincidence it was just mentioned by jebloomquist.

Maybe something has changed in the computer system.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I would bet money they are making changes to their system. Several areas work differently then they used to. I, too, have had weird things happen with the points. I've had cancelled points put in a use year I don't have. And I have had them not be accessible for a current year reservation (but put into the future, so not totalled stranded). It's not consistent either. Definitely good advice to keep track of them (always has been, but be extra careful these days).

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservation that was just cancelled will place the points in the current use year, regardless of the date of the cancelled reservation. If you then attempt to book a reservation in a future use year, those points would not be available for that particular transaction. This is my guess as to why you are not seeing the points you've just cancelled.

An easy way to confirm where the points have been placed is to search/perform a transaction in each use year just short of actually committing it. In the screens leading up to the formal commitment, you will see how many points you have available for that particular reservation date.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservation that was just cancelled will place the points in the current use year, regardless of the date of the cancelled reservation. If you then attempt to book a reservation in a future use year, those points would not be available for that particular transaction. This is my guess as to why you are not seeing the points you've just cancelled.

An easy way to confirm where the points have been placed is to search/perform a transaction in each use year just short of actually committing it. In the screens leading up to the formal commitment, you will see how many points you have available for that particular reservation date.

Hi Jim,

Unless you are describing a new phenomenon since their very recent computer updates, in my experience, the points will go into the use year of the cancelled reservation's TRAVEL dates, which may or may not be the current use year.

I agree with Sandi and Longwell that what is being described by Kaio and jebloomquist is likely a new result of recent computer updates. In the past, I have not experienced the problem they are describing.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Hi Jim,

Unless you are describing a new phenomenon since their very recent computer updates, in my experience, the points will go into the use year of the cancelled reservation's TRAVEL dates, which may or may not be the current use year.

That's what happened when I cancelled an October reservation - the points went in to my October 1 UY, instead of my current Jan 1 UY.

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, Appreciate the input... but that is not consistent with what I was doing, and I'd have to agree with learnalot. In fact, I have actually confirmed with Wyndham a few weeks back that a cancelled reservation for a future use year (say 2013 reservation w/ 2013 points) should never be issued back into the current use year (2012) as Cancelled Points... This is because it would go back to the Original Post of this thread... that would be a way around using all 2012 points and tapping into 2013 for a current year reservation... :rofl: But last I checked, Wyndham is adamant about not letting this occur. Anyway... my Cancelled Points were reissued this morning for me to use now... and they went back into the use year from which the points were taken from. I think that Wyndham has been having system glitches... and due to the weekend, they were probably messing with things, which created some odd phenomenon's to us whom never rest...

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what happened when I cancelled an October reservation - the points went in to my October 1 UY, instead of my current Jan 1 UY.

Likely they came from your Oct allocation then (especially if you had points left from this UY and made it online).. however, if they did infact originally come from your Jan UY contract, and you want those 3 extra months to make reservations from your now cancelled points... Very likely a Wyndham Mistake... Call Wyndham Owner Relations... and they will fix it.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

My comments about the points returning to the use year of the travel dates apply to everyone with a single use year. As has been discussed previously, owners with multiple use years will experience different results with regards to cancelled points.

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I found the answer to my problems.. cannot borrow "cancelled points" from future UY. agh.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... my Cancelled Points were reissued this morning for me to use now... and they went back into the use year from which the points were taken from. I think that Wyndham has been having system glitches ...

Just booked a reservation, as a test, it used my oldest points. Then I canceleed it. The cancelled appoints were then available for immediate use. So what ever happened over the weekend apparently is attributable to the "Computer Ghosts". Not being able to borrow cancelled points from a future use year is something I found out the hard way. If you do not make a habbit of this, give reservations a call and tell them you messed up and they sometimes will cut you a break and let you.

Last edited:

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey rrlongwell, thanks, much appreciate your response! I'm going to call my contact and see what he can do to help me out... I also found out the hard way about not being able to borrow cancelled points.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let me add a bit of clarification to my earlier question/issue concerning missing canelled points.

In September 2011 I booked a July 7, 2012 2br deluxe at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian for 231k points.

On March 3, 2012 (a Saturday) I decided to go with a Presidential for 350k points for the same dates instead. I had 293k unused points remaining in 2012.

I cancelled the 2 br deluxe for 7-7-2012 and expected to use those 231k plus 119k of my unused 2012 points to book a 2 br Presidential for 7-7-2012 at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian (the same date, the same resort). The cancelled points showed nowhere that day, Saturday 3-3-2012 or on Sunday.

I found a phone number for Wyndham on Sunday an called. The rep said that I didn't have enough points. I asked, "well where did my cancelled points go?" I was told that they would not show up until Monday, but that she could borrow some from my 2013 year points and then replace them Monday.

Well Monday, they still didn't show up, so I called again. And again. Finally, I got the correct number of points, but 57k from 2013 has been shifted into my 2012 usage. I gave up. I'll just pool them if I don't use them. I still have time since I am VIP Platinum for a few more months. Then that will disappear also and I will be Gold.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... And again. Finally, I got the correct number of points, but 57k from 2013 has been shifted into my 2012 usage ...

From the looks of this post, when you made the orginal reservation, for some reason, 57k points were used from 2013. When they were cancelled they went back to your current use year.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No. I was listed at 902k points for 2013, which is what I will receive. It has been that way for months, up until 3-3-2012. After all this, my 2013 is now at 845k. I can't explain it either.