• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking about doing the timeshare thing...

bwfoster15

Reaction score
Like others, I know people that either love or hate the idea of timeshares. My wife's uncle is a big fan of timeshares. He has 4 through RCI and he has let us use some of his points before. I really like the idea of the points and I've been checking out different places on RCI to see how many points I'd need for different places. So here is my question. Can you by a place that's not points, and then convert it to points? If so, how and how much? Thanks in advance!

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are much better off buying one already converted to points as points is points.

Of course, if you have a favorite resort if you can get a points converted interval there you will get owner's ARP - that may be what you want to do.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's very expensive to convert to points...

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to buy something that isn't exactly what you want. There are so many TS available resale. If you look hard enough, you will find exactly what you want.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
If y'all don't mind, check out these ebay auctions and let me know what you think. We tend to go to the Orlando area a lot, but I'd love to have the freedom that the points give you to travel anywhere. That being said, I don't want a timeshare in the Orlando area because of the restriction with DVC. Your input is much appreciated. I'm a little apprehensive about the ones that don't take credit card or paypal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150755642619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300668493088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160745742517?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160746577791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are buying to trade, the Vacation Villages (Bonaventura, Weston and the Parkway) have excellent maintenance fee to points ratio. The problem is that you do not know what the MFs will be in the future. And you are stuck even if the points are not what they are now.

I have a points account and use it frequently. I am seeing fewer and fewer places that I want to go --- in points. They still are there on the weeks
side. :(

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked out the first one - Vacations Village at Weston. With property tax, the MFs are $846. On Redweek, there are currently 5 units being offered for rent. One is a floating week in December (around week 51). It's being offered for rent for $699 and that's one of the higher ones. Some in March are being offered for under $400.

The usual advice given on these boards is Why buy when you can rent for cheaper than the maintenance fees? If you can't travel that year and want to rent it out, you will have a difficult, if not impossible, time recovering your MFs.

Also, if down the road you decide that this timeshare unit no longer fits into your plans and you want to divest yourself of ownership, you'll have an equally difficult time even giving it away. After all, other "buyers" will likely adopt the same philosophy: Why "buy" when you can rent for cheaper than the MFs?

rrlongwell

Reaction score

Took a look at the acutions. Three out four were for RCI points. I do not know much about these. I would go with Wyndham or one of the other large Points based systems. You might want to look at a points contract that is large enough to handle a 2 bedroom in high demand season for a resort you are interested in.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do research on TUG, which I recommend, before jumping in with both feet

If y'all don't mind, check out these ebay auctions and let me know what you think. We tend to go to the Orlando area a lot, but I'd love to have the freedom that the points give you to travel anywhere. That being said, I don't want a timeshare in the Orlando area because of the restriction with DVC. Your input is much appreciated. I'm a little apprehensive about the ones that don't take credit card or paypal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150755642619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300668493088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160745742517?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160746577791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There are many opinions when it comes to Points. Are you sure that RCI Points is going to be the best "points" system for you?

Many are of the opinion that the underlying week doesn't matter and there are some that place value on the underlying week. The underlying week is only one of my criteria. Another thing that I consider is the points-to-maintenance fee ratio. At least two of those auctions would not fit this criteria for me because the ratio is more than a penny a point. If you determine that the underlying week is of no importance to you, then I believe you can find timeshares being given away with better ratios than these auctions. One of my Points resorts has an annual MF of $480 and I get 67000annual points for it. The underlying week is also a prime week in a free-standing unit, which can be rented or I enjoy staying in when I use the actual week.

Timeshare resales aren't going any where and prices aren't going up any time soon. Easier to buy than get rid of if you find it's not working for you.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
There are many opinions when it comes to Points. Are you sure that RCI Points is going to be the best "points" system for you?

Many are of the opinion that the underlying week doesn't matter and there are some that place value on the underlying week. The underlying week is only one of my criteria. Another thing that I consider is the points-to-maintenance fee ratio. At least two of those auctions would not fit this criteria for me because the ratio is more than a penny a point. If you determine that the underlying week is of no importance to you, then I believe you can find timeshares being given away with better ratios than these auctions. One of my Points resorts has an annual MF of $480 and I get 67000annual points for it. The underlying week is also a prime week in a free-standing unit, which can be rented or I enjoy staying in when I use the actual week.

Timeshare resales aren't going any where and prices aren't going up any time soon. Easier to buy than get rid of if you find it's not working for you.

I'm leaning towards RCI for the chance to get into a Disney resort. We go to Disney in the off season, so I'd think it would be easier to get in then. Are there any others that can trade into Disney?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - RCI weeks also has access to Disney.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also seeing fewer places in Points than I once did when I bought about 4 yrs ago

I have a points account and use it frequently. I am seeing fewer and fewer places that I want to go --- in points. They still are there on the weeks
side. :(

If you buy into RCI Points, you are basically stuck with RCI, whether it works for you or not. That is another reason that I consider the underlying week. I want it to be a decent week that I most likely can resell or at least giveaway if I want out. I have bought several converted RCI Points timeshares that I have removed from RCI Points because the underlying weeks more valuable than keeping them in Points. Somebody paid big money to convert these timeshares to Points. If you do decide to go with RCI Points, you absolutely need to buy a timeshare that is already converted.

As mentioned previously, the Weston Resort (with its high maintenance fee) and inland location would be very hard to give away if you decided in the future that the RCI Points weren't working for you. Tread carefully and make the best "informed" decision that you can. Plenty of cheap rentals out there until you find what will best suit your vacation needs.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards RCI for the chance to get into a Disney resort. We go to Disney in the off season, so I'd think it would be easier to get in then. Are there any others that can trade into Disney?

I'm going to re-state what was said previously... why buy when you can rent?

Seriously, you have no idea where these maintenance fees are going to go, and the recent trends are up, up, up. Unless you are absolutely sure this is what you want. If so, buy into a system that you plan on using. Don't rely on the exchange companies, you'll be a lot better off in the long run.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
Ok, how about this. The better bang for your buck points to MF ratio looks like it is in Orlando. At least on ebay it is. Being in Orlando, I can't get into a Disney resort. But, I can rent the points at $.01 a point and get into Disney using those points because that timeshare that I'm getting the points from isn't in the Orlando area? Then I would be free to use my points anywhere else.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, how about this. The better bang for your buck points to MF ratio looks like it is in Orlando. At least on ebay it is. Being in Orlando, I can't get into a Disney resort. But, I can rent the points at $.01 a point and get into Disney using those points because that timeshare that I'm getting the points from isn't in the Orlando area? Then I would be free to use my points anywhere else.

Is there anything closer to home? If you get a week at a local resort, you might get day use and bonus time. Then, you could use your week towards a trade into DVC.

Have you looked at WorldMark? They have a very high trading power and you can join RCI and trade for DVC. Worldmark won't have a home resort, but you will be able to use any of their resorts as your home resort.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
Is there anything closer to home? If you get a week at a local resort, you might get day use and bonus time. Then, you could use your week towards a trade into DVC.

Have you looked at WorldMark? They have a very high trading power and you can join RCI and trade for DVC. Worldmark won't have a home resort, but you will be able to use any of their resorts as your home resort.

I have no idea what WorldMark is, but I'm about to google it!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think that is true; at least not from my personal experience

The better bang for your buck points to MF ratio looks like it is in Orlando.

I personally will not buy in Orlando for a couple of reasons. I bought a Points timeshare with 95,500 annual points and a MF of $624 (excellent ratio) on eBay (rare find) located in North Carolina. About a month ago, I bought another timeshare in North Carolina with 73,500 annual points with a MF of $624 (not as great, but still a very good ratio) on eBay. My timeshare with 67000 annual points and a MF of $480 is located in Tennessee, also bought on eBay. Points timeshares with good to very good ratios can probably be found in most areas. You just have to look for them.

I think your strategy to buy in Orlando and sell your points in order to rent a DVC is more work than you need to do to get into DVC.

Keep asking questions and don't be in any rush to buy something.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
I personally will not buy in Orlando for a couple of reasons. I bought a Points timeshare with 95,500 annual points and a MF of $624 (excellent ratio) on eBay (rare find) located in North Carolina. About a month ago, I bought another timeshare in North Carolina with 73,500 annual points with a MF of $624 (not as great, but still a very good ratio) on eBay. My timeshare with 67000 annual points and a MF of $480 is located in Tennessee, also bought on eBay. Points timeshares with good to very good ratios can probably be found in most areas. You just have to look for them.

I think your strategy to buy in Orlando and sell your points in order to rent a DVC is more work than you need to do to get into DVC.

Keep asking questions and don't be in any rush to buy something.

I doubt that I would sell my points. They would get used, I'm sure. Where did you find your deals, if you don't mind me asking? Other than ebay?

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, if you own ANY resorts in the Orlando area, a block from booking DVC is put on the entire account, so I am not sure that your idea of renting other points to book DVC will work.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
From what I understand, if you own ANY resorts in the Orlando area, a block from booking DVC is put on the entire account, so I am not sure that your idea of renting other points to book DVC will work.

See, thats what i thought too. But there is an ad in the TUG classified section that says otherwise. Who knows?

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if it blocks all. I just know that I saw a few separate posts from people who were blocked because they owned in Orlando. Maybe they the will chime in here. I do know that when DVC was with Interval International the block was 50 mile local radious. I always assumed that it was just II's policy. But I guess Disney liked the policy so much, they insisted on it when they moved over to RCI.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it block out all of DVC or only Orlando DVC?

It's my understanding the block is about being 30 miles or less than a DVC resort. So, owning Orlando would only block the Orlando DVCs.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

To OP bwfoster15:

So far, you don't seem particularly open or amenable to the suggestion, but I'll nonetheless add my voice to those of others who have already suggested that you "rent --- don't buy".

Orlando timeshares are a dime a dozen. You can usually rent there for less than the cost of the annual fees associated with actual (and very permanent) ownership. In renting, you can also try different places, at different times. Accordingly, what do you find so alluring about buying / owning in Orlando? :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

Last edited: