• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking about doing the timeshare thing...

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you said that you were going to rent your Points out

I doubt that I would sell my points. They would get used, I'm sure. Where did you find your deals, if you don't mind me asking? Other than ebay?

My confusion.

I found all my deals on eBay. Terrible place to sell, great place to buy (price wise).

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
To OP bwfoster15:

So far, you don't seem particularly open or amenable to the suggestion, but I'll nonetheless add my voice to those of others who have already suggested that you "rent --- don't buy".

Orlando timeshares are a dime a dozen. You can usually rent there for less than the cost of the annual fees associated with actual (and very permanent) ownership. In renting, you can also try different places, at different times. Accordingly, what do you find so alluring about buying / owning in Orlando? :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

Agreed . . . 100%.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked, but didn't see the MFs listed.

I think if you're patient, you can do better. One of my Points timeshares is at the other resort managed by this group. I believe you're going to pay the same MF for lesser points with weeks 23 and 40, as opposed to a summer week. You might as well get the most points that you can for your annual maintenance fee (JMHO).

There are just too many timeshares out there being give away. If you're patient, you probably could find the same thing for free. Although, this person may be willing to negotiate.

Have you checked the TUG Marketplace under Bargain Deals for Points?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
With all the timeshares out there, your goal should be to get in for free and
Maybe even with a free years worth of usage. Be patient!! The right one will
Come along. If you do find exactly what you want you may have to pay some
Toward closing or transfer fees.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Aloha

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

Ok. I'm open to the renting thing. Anyone you recommend, or just look through the classifieds?

1. Decide where (and when) you want to go.

2. Check out posted ads on RedWeek, MyResortNetwork, TUG, Craigslist, VacationTimeshareRentals for advertised weeks in the date frame and location range you have identified.

3. Make your deal directly with the advertiser.

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Watch out before buying

You need to be very careful before you buy a timeshare as the majority of timeshares for sale are worse than worthless.

I have owned two different timeshares in my life and i bought them both off ebay (generally the best place to buy them imo as their prices are generally the best you will find).

The key to finding out the value of a timeshare is seeing if the liquidated rental fee via ebay covers the cost of the annual maintenance fees. You may be surprised to see most timeshares can be rented for less than the annual maintenance fee (dont look at asking prices for rentals look at completed auction prices).

You have to ask youself why do you want a timeshare? That is the true question. I believe that the only value to a timeshare is if you want to go to the same destination (and not trade it). Once you trade your week, you pay fees to a company and not the owner and you lose leverage. Why would anyone pay money for a timeshare for the obligation to pay maintenance fees that EXCEED the amount of rent you can get from the week you own the property?

Dont believe me, look at ebay. People are staying at the Mahatten club in NYC for a week for $1400 (owners pay maintenance fees over $2200), westin in hawaii rent for $1000 or less (owners are paying $2500 a year in dues).

We dumped our one timeshare we had because of the exchange fees. We kept the other cause the maintenance fees are less than we would pay to rent that same week (and we love the location, Whistler).

Bottom line, timeshares are bad investments financially because you can rent for hundreds (sometimes thousands) less than the owners pay in dues/fees annually. Timeshares do offer utility cause you get pride of ownership in a unit.

But your much better off financially renting a week from a timeshare owner, cause the saying is true...

Cash is King.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
westin in hawaii rent for $1000 or less (owners are paying $2500 a year in dues).

Just be aware that this is not the norm. A 2 Bdm. ocean view at this resort normally rents for $3,600. Even a studio goes for $1,550.

Last edited:

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of norm...

I agree that the values we both mentioned dont represent the average market rate.

The rate i quoted $1,000 for a week at the westin in Hawaii generally represents a last minute liquidator via ebay, and the price you mentioned $3,600 represents a prime week (xmas, new years, etc) with months to go before the actual check in date.

Truth is the market price for a week at Westin Hawaii is somwhere in between for the general public. I suspect it is in the $2,000-$2,500 range for a week in a 2bed/2bath oceanview with minimal amount of research needed to find a property to rent whether it is Tug, Redweek, or another site.

That highlights the OP's question about timeshares. You have to ask yourself if you can rent a week for less than the maintenance fees (you can in westin hawaii and those timeshares still sell for thousands on ebay), why expose yourself to the financial risk as maintenance fees growth continues to outpace rental rate growth.

It surely isnt an investment as it has a negative ROI and that doesnt include possible assessments.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Truth is the market price for a week at Westin Hawaii is somwhere in between for the general public. I suspect it is in the $2,000-$2,500 range for a week in a 2bed/2bath oceanview with minimal amount of research needed to find a property to rent whether it is Tug, Redweek, or another site.

Nope: Christmas - New Years weeks actually will rent for over $4,000. and I have rented my own (non-holiday) week there for $3,500-$3,600 for about 5 years is a row. In fact it's already been rented for 2012 and 2013 at that price.

The market for upscale accommodations in Hawaii is still very healthy. As I said before, the person who rented to you for $1,000 was probably an inexperienced owner that didn't understand their many options. There is no reason to rent for that price, unless you just don't know what else to do.

Last edited:

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Different approach than slip

I think slip is right that you could find a timeshare for free with one years dues paid for. We did that about seven years ago when we got a week in fort lauderdale fixed week 52 on ebay.

They covered maintence fees for that year, paid closing costs, and fees. The trading power with rci was high cause it was a fixed week 52 (36 points via rci for the 1 bed/2 bath unit) with maintenance fees of $585/year.

I wouldnt recommend this approach unless you have research how to get rid of the timeshare if you dont want it anymore. Often times, you CAN'T. You may be left with either paying the fees and taking the loss each and every year, defaulting (which not only damages your credit, but opens you to legal liabilities).

Have a clear and realistic exit strategy before you buy in case you need/want to sell.

I dont personally believe that many (if any) timeshares have any real value as their MF>average rental income, but if you are dead set on buying one, i recommend buying one with perceived value.

But if you buy a timeshare that has perceived value via ebay, you can at least unload it if it becomes necessary. Not saying you should spend Tens of thousands, but buy something that you are confident can be unloaded in the future. Here is one i found on ebay. Definitely agree with other posters though, take your time and get what you want.

Be picky, it is a buyers market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marriotts-C...=Timeshares&hash=item256d180ac1#ht_5311wt_922

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who prefer variety of locations to travel, owning in each destination is impractical. So the option is to either rent or buy cheap traders. The latter is my approach.

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting info

Glad to see myself proven wrong, you definitely have weight when it comes to my eyes as the moderator for tug. As a finance guy, i honestly questioned why anyone would buy a timeshare with MF of $2600 when you rarely get rents to cover that.

I look forward to hearing more of your insight about timeshares in the future. I bought a two year tug membership as i want to learn more about the industry.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pmuppet - My MF at the original resort is actually $2,180, but yes, it's really high. We bought this timeshare 10 years ago, from the developer, and we didn't know what we were doing! :D When we bought it, the MF was only $1,100 which seemed very reasonable for an ocean view 2 bdm. at the newest resort on Maui. We could split the lock-off, and go for two weeks for $550 a week. Unfortunately, the MF has doubled in 10 years! :eek: Fortunately, it is an excellent renter.

bwfoster15

Reaction score
Ok, so I just secured RENTING a week at a DVC resort for way less than I would have ever thought. I'm still going to be on the lookout for a timeshare deal, seeing how we LOVE to travel, but I'm glad i thought of this renting thing. I wish someone would have suggested it to me. :D

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations OP

Wanted to say congratulations OP. You made a wise decision in renting, i suspect. You deserve kudos in my eyes cause i think you really wanted to buy (and become an owner), but you "let the math decide for you."

The problem most people have when they originally enter this "what if" exercise is they know what they want to do (generally, they are trying to find a reason to justify the purchase), and work the numbers to sell it to themselves cause you can prove anything you want to prove with data.

But if your endpoint is fiscal responsibility, you calculate the true value and what is the better alternative (renting vs buying), it isnt that hard because all the variables are known.

Congratulations cause you took a step back, reevaluated everything, and decided it was in your best interest to rent at this time. Takes some guts to change directions like that. Congrats on making a solid decision in my eyes.

BTW, i didnt "let the numbers set me" and i am paying dearly for it. ;)

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont believe me, look at ebay. People are staying at the Mahatten club in NYC for a week for $1400 (owners pay maintenance fees over $2200), westin in hawaii rent for $1000 or less (owners are paying $2500 a year in dues).

Can you help/direct me where I can find Manhattan Club for a week for $1,400?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe if you are a member of SFX then you can get it for $189 a night.

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Beefnot and thegortons for quick replies. I am not a member of SFX - is that a problem for the rate? Is it easy to become one?

Lastly any other ideas for good values on nice properties in NYC in June-July for a week or less? West 57th by HGVC is very nice place - any possibilities good value deals there?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Beefnot and thegortons for quick replies. I am not a member of SFX - is that a problem for the rate? Is it easy to become one?

Lastly any other ideas for good values on nice properties in NYC in June-July for a week or less? West 57th by HGVC is very nice place - any possibilities good value deals there?

As long as you own a TS, it is easy and free to sign up.

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you own a TS, it is easy and free to sign up.

Well the thing is that thanks to this Forum I don't yet. I have attended multiple presentations and was almost convinced to purchase and then found this forum. So my goal is to learn as much as I can and make an informed decision, that is economically sound (even if that means renting timeshares vs purchasing, as I have read a lot about in this forum).

So bottom line I am not currently a timeshare owner - is there a way to get the deal thru SFX? I think I am a member of Diamond Resorts and their logo was on SFX - would that help me any?

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any help please?

I would really appreciate if anyone with knowledge could respond to my earlier question, which is: is there a way to get this deal without owning a timeshare? According to SFX website, it says the following under the Manhattan Club description: "As a special offer to our SFX members and their friends and family, this is virtually requirement free." Based on this they don't seem to be very restrictive if friends of timeshare owners can get this deal. Any advice, please?

Any other ideas for affordable but nice place to stay in Manhattan? Going there next week and then again in June and July.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you own a timeshare, there is (as far as I know) no way to join an exchange co. That's how you get to be a 'member'. If this is an offer for 'members' and friends. Perhaps you have to provide the member's number. But I might be wrong. Call them and report back.

Jim