• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did I make the right decision?

luvs2trvl

Reaction score
After a sales pitch at Westin Beaver Creek we just purchased a 2 bdrm 1 week. The sales rep recommended we buy a unit at Westin in Cancun which gives us 148,100 points. We have no intention of vacationing in Cancun but will at many of the other Starwood vacation resorts or Starwood hotel properties. Did we make a good decision? Any advice? We have 10 days to rescind.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
After a sales pitch at Westin Beaver Creek we just purchased a 2 bdrm 1 week. The sales rep recommended we buy a unit at Westin in Cancun which gives us 148,100 points. We have no intention of vacationing in Cancun but will at many of the other Starwood vacation resorts or Starwood hotel properties. Did we make a good decision? Any advice? We have 10 days to rescind.

I dont own Starwood but I will say if you ask the question you are clearly having second thoughts.....the general advice here would be to rescind

Then do your homework, read the info posted here, ask questions and then if you think that this will be a wise purchase,(which I doubt) that deal will still be available

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You made several good decisions...

1. Getting into timeshares. Awesome way to travel.
2. Finding TUG. The best place to learn about timeshares.
3. Paying attention to the rescinding details. It's not too late!

I'm sure you'll make many more good decisions in the days and months to come.

As for buying from the developer, I suspect that you probably already know the answer to that. Look around and see how much you could buy the same thing (or even something better) for resale, then weigh out the price difference and the developer perks. It's almost NEVER worthwhile to buy from a developer. 11 days after buying, most timeshares are worth 1-10% of what you paid for them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You need to rescind. I think you should learn about timeshares here on TUG and make an informed decision at a later time. You only have a short time to rescind, and I know many of us wish we knew then what we knew now. We made two developer purchases years ago and have regretted both.

Simply look at resales and see what that timeshare you were going to buy (hopefully WERE) would sell for today. Better than that, look at what a week with 148,000 Staroptions costs on eBay. Look at the Westin Maui, for example.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
I agree completely with the previous posters, and it is unfortunately very true that the value of your timeshare drops severely after purchase. It would probably be best to rescind. Buying from the developer is extremely expensive and often not worth it. Why not a buy a resale at a timeshare that you WILL vacation at. I think its nice to own where you want to travel. Starwood is pushing Cancun, but you could get a nice mandatory (check Starwood FAQ) resale in a desirable location for you and still trade within Starwood's system.Good Luck!

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
luvs, ... "did I make the right decision"?

Probably not! However, your post is not clear about where you bought - Riverfront or Lagunamar. It makes a difference. And, I would hate to have you rescind a purchase of a Riverfront 2-br in the right season.

If you bought a float 2-br in the highest season at Riverfront (in Avon, not in Beaver Creek) you should not rescind because, IMO, that location in that season is a unique property and will hold its value better than any other timeshare. That type of 2-br ski week will always have rental value that exceeds the annual assessment.

The only thing that, IMO, possibly comes close in value retention due to its uniqueness is the 2-br loft at the Bay Vista portion of the Westin St. John.

However, if you bought anything anywhere else in the Starwood Vacation Network, including a 2-br in a lesser (non-ski week) season at Riverfront, you should rescind. No question! The reasons will be explained in the other posts in this thread. GLTY! ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Luvs,

I would also rescind.

As Jarta mentioned, there are sometimes reasons that it makes sense to buy from a developer, but in most situations, it does not make sense to spend the extra money.

I would spend a little time learning more about the resale options available to you (and the usage limitations from buying resale at certain resorts). After that time, you will be in a better position to commit to your timeshare purchaser, whether resale or direct.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

luvs2trvl

Reaction score
Many Thanks!

Thank you all for the quick replies. I will take the advice to read more on TUG before deciding whether or not to rescind in the next 8 days. A couple more questions:
1. The property I bought into is Westin Lagunamar, WEEK 31. The sales rep said the week # is irrelevant since my contract week is floating and I really have no (at least right now) intention of vacationining in Cancun. Is this true? Would I be better off asking for a preferred week in Mexico? Like Wk 3-20?

2. If I want to find a Starwood timeshare for resale, where do I go?

3. Anyone have a Starwood TS that can share your experience on how they are to work with?

4. The rep pitched hard access to properties outside the starwood network using the international affiliation program (I forget the exact name of the group). Any experience with this?

Again, thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy where you want to stay.

Yes, timeshares are great for trading for traveling all over the world, but I don't suggest buying somewhere that you never plan on visiting.

I don't own Starwood, but lots of members here do. I am sure they can suggest threads to read.

If you really want Starwood, do an ebay search for starwood timeshares. Also, if you join here for $15., you will have access to the marketplace where members on this site are selling their timeshares.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Definitely rescind

The property you bought -- Lagunamar -- sells on the resale market for pennies on the dollar. The reason it sells so cheaply is that the StarOptions that you will get on your developer purchase do not transfer. That means your TS will be worth far less to anyone other than you.

You state that you don't intend to go to Lagunamar, that you will use the StarOptions to trade into Riverfront. If that is your intent, you should purchase a Westin Kierland on the resale market for about $15,000; Kierland StarOptions do transfer to resale purchasers.

Read the sticky at the top of the Starwood board for details. Unless and until you understand the intricacies, you shouldn't be purchasing anything.

CAVEAT: there is no guarantee that you will actually be able to use StarOptions to trade into Riverfront whether the StarOptions come from a developer purchase at Lagunamar or a resale purchase at Kierland; owners at Riverfront will have priority for reservations.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
luvs, ... In case you didn't get what I was saying:

The only way to get into Riverfront (timeshare section) during ski season is to own there or to rent a room from an owner at way more than MF. It is even harder to get into than WSJ or HBR. There are only 48 2-br lockoff units at the resort. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thank you all for the quick replies. I will take the advice to read more on TUG before deciding whether or not to rescind in the next 8 days. A couple more questions:
1. The property I bought into is Westin Lagunamar, WEEK 31. The sales rep said the week # is irrelevant since my contract week is floating and I really have no (at least right now) intention of vacationining in Cancun. Is this true? Would I be better off asking for a preferred week in Mexico? Like Wk 3-20?

Welcome to TUG!

You would be better off not buying in Mexico at all. Mexico has far more timeshare supply than demand, so it is very easy to trade into and very cheap to rent there - not a good value to own there.

2. If I want to find a Starwood timeshare for resale, where do I go?

ebay has the lowest prices

3. Anyone have a Starwood TS that can share your experience on how they are to work with?

This is a very broad questions, so I suggest that you read the FAQ at the top of the forum and then come back and tell us what questions you have.

4. The rep pitched hard access to properties outside the starwood network using the international affiliation program (I forget the exact name of the group). Any experience with this?

Interval International Exchange company. In a nutshell, you can buy a resale at a Starwood resort for pennies on the dollar, and use it to trade into other Starwood resorts for a fraction of the cost of buying from the developer. The reason you can trade for other Starwood resorts through II with an inexpensive resale is that ALL Starwood owners have first priority for Starwood to Starwood trades through II. Caveat: Trading through Interval International does not work well for Westin St. John, Harborside, or holiday weeks. It is quite doable for most other Starwood resorts, including Hawaii.

Many people think that Sheraton Desert Oasis is the best value for the II trader - there are many threads about this on the forum.

Last edited:

nvrenoughtrvl

Reaction score
I own 5 weeks with Starwood. I have purchased them all from the developer. I understand that I pay more than sometimes available ownerships on the secondary market. However, they all count toward my 5 Star Elite Platinum status and I have access to all the SP and villa options.

I have two weeks in Maui, one in Princeville and two in Cancun. I purchased Cancun so I don't have to give up my Hawaii weeks to travel elsewhere. It is true that Cancun does have the lowest dues, half my Maui dues. I have not yet been to Cancun, no plans to do so yet, but I have heard great things about it.

I love my ownerships and the experiences they have provided my family. If you stick with it you'll love it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
nvrenoughtrvl - Welcome to TUG!

I'm am happy that you are pleased with your ownership, but even if the OP is planning on reaching 5 Star Elite, he doesn't have to buy all the weeks from the developer, and starting off with a purchase at Lagunamar is not a good strategy. He can accomplish the same thing for far less money, so rescinding is indeed the right thing for him to do at this point.

nvrenoughtrvl

Reaction score
I go to maui and kauai every year so it makes sense for me to own those Hawaiian Properties. I probably purchased Cancun for the same reason the OP did, he does not want to go to the same place every year. This provides him the least expensive (ownership and maint.) developer ownership with all the benefits. I believe it is the best ownership Starwood is currently offering right now. He probably also got a ton of points.

I find that everyone on these pages are all so negative. Why? How about making people feel good about the choices they made. Many smart successful people have bought timeshare and really like it. I am one of them. Thanks.

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What does it cost to rent versus to own? Owning a timeshare was a great idea when we bought 20 years ago (not in Starwood) and luckily our maintenance fees, coupled with the fact that we have a lockout unit, still make it a worthwhile proposition (but ONLY if we travel in prime time such as Xmas or New Years). Anything else outside of that is cheaper to rent. With today's economy and ludicrous maintenance fees I don't see any value in buying and if I had to do it again, I would definitely rent instead of making a long term committment to something whose value, and my requirements have drastically changed over time (i.e. 20 years ago we had 3 small kids - as such a 3 bedroom timeshare with a full kitchen and low maintenance fees was a great deal. Today the kids are grown up so a 3 bedroom (or even a 1 or 2 bedroom timeshare) has little value for us. We would rather stay in luxurious hotels with full facilities and eat out than be in a timeshare with a kitchen, moderate facilities by comparison, and no daily housekeeping services). Before you make a long term commitment I would do a thorough cost versus benefit. Too many people have bought timeshares not realizing the lifelong commitment they have made. Even in our case in 20 or whatever years, how are we going to get rid of the timeshare? We will be too old to travel and the kids don't want it so where does it leave us (and the thousands of other owners who will be in the same situation)? Many resorts wont take back the week and charities don't want timeshares.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find that everyone on these pages are all so negative. Why? How about making people feel good about the choices they made. Many smart successful people have bought timeshare and really like it. I am one of them. Thanks.
The OP didn't come here and say "Make me feel good about my choice." He came and asked if he made a good decision and if we had any advice. I think that (coming here and asking) was a great choice. He's received plenty of advice and I think he'll make more good choices (including rescinding and buying resale).

If I had a friend who just bought a used 2004 Corolla for $30,000 from a dealership come to me asking if he made a good decision, I wouldn't be much of a friend if I made him feel good about his choice. Sure, he could get great use out of his car and maybe the dealership will give him free oil changes for life, but his best choice would be to return the car and buy something similar (or better) for a fraction of the cost.

nvrenoughtrvl

Reaction score
One last thing, I have traveled all of the world both staying in Starwood hotels and villas. I have done a extensive research, I could not have experienced the same quality and experiences through Starwood if I purchased through resale.

I have a family of 5. Two hotel rooms and 3 meals out a day does not save money. Our family time is important to us. Quality villa accommodations are expensive. I did the math and it made sense financially for our vacations. Because of us our children love to travel. 5 kids, 5 weeks...you do the math. They are all excited about their ownership.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I go to maui and kauai every year so it makes sense for me to own those Hawaiian Properties. I probably purchased Cancun for the same reason the OP did, he does not want to go to the same place every year. This provides him the least expensive (ownership and maint.) developer ownership with all the benefits. I believe it is the best ownership Starwood is currently offering right now. He probably also got a ton of points.

Why would we want to make someone feel good about a bad financial decision? He is very lucky, because he can still get out of his purchase, do his homework, and make the right decision for his family - with no pressure.

Everyone who has posted in this thread owns timeshares and likes timeshares. But we also know that there are strategies that one can use to buy and own timeshares for a fraction of the cost of buying them all from the developer. No offense, but you probably spent at least twice as much as you needed to to reach 5 Star Elite. There are better ways to accomplish the same thing, for a fraction of the cost.

I could not have experienced the same quality and experiences through Starwood if I purchased through resale.

Actually, you could have purchased at least half your timeshares resale and accomplished the exact same thing. We have lots of people on this forum who have done so.

Also - please note that not everyone wants to be 5 Star Elite, and if that's not your goal, there is little or no reason to buy from the developer that makes $$$ sense.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My first piece of advice is that if you love to stay in Starwood hotels, and do not already have a Starwood AMEX card, to find as generous a signing bonus as possible (visit FlyerTalk for this) and start using the card for everyday purchases. You'll rack up 1 SP for every dollar you spend on the card for $65/year. If you spend $30k on the card per year, you'll be automatically upgraded to SPG gold.

Secondly, I'd advise you to rescind today, and do some thinking and number crunching. Regardless of what the salesman told you, the same deal will be on the table next week, but the ability to rescind will not. So relax, and take your time to really determine how this timeshare purchase is going to impact you and whether it's right for you.

You said that Starwood hotels are a big draw for you. That means that the ability to convert your 2 bdrm into StarPoints is probably a big draw for you. You should know a few things right off the bat:

1) SVO has never increased the number of SPs owners get for converting their timeshare. If history is any indication, if your timeshare converts to 72k SPs today, in 5 years it'll still convert to 72k SPs. So as time goes by, your value will decrease, except in the unlikely event that MFs decrease.

2) On the other side of the equation, Starwood is continually updating its SP redemption chart. If 72k SP will get you 5 nights in a Category 5 hotel today, in a year or two, it may only get you 4 nights.

3) Some SVO timeshares have already reached the break-even point where it is actually just as cheap (or cheaper) to purchase SPs directly off the SPG website, than it is to convert using a timeshare. So paying tens of thousands of dollars to buy from the developer may ultimately only give you the ability to buy SPs at the current market rate.

That being said, WLR is probably the cheapest way to get 148,100 points from the developer. But, as others have said, there may be more fiscally prudent ways to achieve the same goal. For instance, you can buy a resale 2 bdrm at Sheraton Desert Oasis worth 148,100 SPs for ~$1500 FIRST and THEN go buy the same WLR unit, which Starwood can grandfather into the SVN program for no additional dollars (though you may not have the ability to convert the SDO unit to SPs. Not sure about that). That's the current best approach for getting the most bang for your buck if you're set on buying from the developer.

The key is to do research so that you're buying with your eyes wide open. Many of the bitter posters here have bought from the developer and didn't fully explore the risks of owning. IMO, there are two huge downsides with owning at WLR for you: 1) If you want to sell, you'll be lucky to recoup a fraction of what you paid because it's a voluntary resorts; 2) It flies in the face of owning where you want to buy. Exchanging into a ski resort during ski season is NOT as easing as calling up SVN and saying, "Hey, I have 148,100 SOs and want to exchange in." Having the right number of points is actually the easiest hurdle to overcome, especially now that SVO allows owners to bank their points for future years. I daresay you'll be lucky to get into one of those prime weeks EVER, let alone repeatedly.

BTW, welcome aboard! Wishing you many happy vacations no matter what path you choose.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
One last thing, I have traveled all of the world both staying in Starwood hotels and villas. I have done a extensive research, I could not have experienced the same quality and experiences through Starwood if I purchased through resale.

I have a family of 5. Two hotel rooms and 3 meals out a day does not save money. Our family time is important to us. Quality villa accommodations are expensive. I did the math and it made sense financially for our vacations. Because of us our children love to travel. 5 kids, 5 weeks...you do the math. They are all excited about their ownership.

You may be confusing negativity with the candor that comes from experience and knowledge...

OP - The Rescind/Research/Resale/Requal threads and II threads are good places to start.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For instance, you can buy a resale 2 bdrm at Sheraton Desert Oasis worth 148,100 SPs for ~$1500 FIRST and THEN go buy the same WLR unit, which Starwood can grandfather into the SVN program for no additional dollars (though you may not have the ability to convert the SDO unit to SPs. Not sure about that).

Yes - you can convert a requalified week to Starpoints. After it is requalified, it is treated exactly like a developer purchase.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
nvre, ... I own 7 Starwood weeks. 6 are in the SVN and count toward my 5 Star Elite status. I am happy with Starwood. I can relate to what you are saying about being satisfied.

However, I urged luvs to rescind - unless he had purchased a 2-br ski week at Riverfront.

I believe the best way to get to 5 Star Elite is to retro a non-developer week or upgrade a week each time you buy from Starwood. Without the retro and upgrade, there is just too little residual value to justify paying full price.

There are other 5 Star Elites who post on TUG. However, most TUG posters are not interested in getting to 5 Star Elite. I find their anti-Starwood aggressiveness annoying. But, in most cases, they have good advice for most who come here. But, they have not experienced the benefits of 5 Star Elite. If they only knew ... ... eom

GiantDolphan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lagunamar Developer Purchase

Not sure If I should have started a new thread. I have the same question. Here are my details:

Just returned (yesterday AM) from WKORVN via a special Westin Promotion that I received last spring for 5 nights/6 days (~$700) with a reduced fare rental car. We received the pitch on Friday (1/6) for the 2BR/2 bath WKORVN. During the final stage of the pitch they changed gears and pitched the Lagunamar property with a higher Starwood point incentive. Probably since we would not vacation as often in Maui since we live on the East Coast. We decided on the Lagunamar property since the incentive seemed better for the same type of property (Platinum Plus week). Here are the details:

Property: Westin Lagunamar 2 BR Lockoff, Week 16 - Platinum Plus (Annual Floating Week/Float Unit)
Purchase Price: $44,900.00
SVN StarOptions: 148,100
SPG Starpoints: 72,000 (every other year)
SPG Points Incentives: 150,000 at signing. Four certificates for 80,000 each redeemable at $1,550.00 per certificate. Must exercise by 12/31/2012.

All other fees are the same as mentioned on TUG.

So here is my question - Should I rescind or not? This is our first timeshare purchase and I wished I had found this site prior to the sales pitch.

ALL comments are welcome.