• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Zion National Park in December

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister loves her Yaktrax and gave me a set a few years ago, but I haven’t had the need to use them - yet. Looking at Dave’s weather post, I hope I won’t need them when we’re in UT. @winger, we’ll be leaving when you’re coming into town. Enjoy your trip!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
TY - we are arriving Sun 12/25 so will keep an eye out on the weather before then. But, may just order some spike/cleats thingys just in case. Assume these will last a lifetime since we normally try to avoid snow/icy, but with our travel bugs, we likely will encounter the white stuff, again.

I have a set I bought years ago, and have never needed. Better safe than sorry. Leave them in the package, and if it turns out you don't need them, you can send them back to Amazon.

Dave

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
What is the reason you went with these coil designs and not the ones with actual metal spikes in them?
I've used both. I currently have nano spikes and they are far superior to yaktrak. They have metal nubs that provide good traction on ice. You can also get some with more pointy spikes as well. For your purposes, I"d go with the nano spikes.
The coils are ok in snow with some give to it. On ice, not so much. The spikes are good for deeper snow where you want good traction. The nano spikes are good on both ice and snow that has been packed down. For Zion, the latter is more likely. For fresh snow, you just need shoes/boots with decent traction and won't need any thing else. So bring along shoes that have some good grip on the bottom. Also, for whatever ice assists you get, when in doubt, size up. Most involve stretching some tough rubber over your shoes. As time goes on, they get stiffer and harder to stretch.

nano spikes

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
What is the reason you went with these coil designs and not the ones with actual metal spikes in them?
At the time they were what was in stock, lol. I've used them for two seasons now. No slipping and other than that, I don't know that I'm wearing them. Last January we hiked about 25 miles over 3 days in snow and ice in Yosemite valley. I would just read the reviews and go from there. I just don't have any first hand experience with the others.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
yaktrax are cheap and easy to carry. We use them all the time in the winter. I won't go anywhere icy without them. I don't want to slip on ice and ruin my trip. I slip them right over my hiking boots. We use these: https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Trac...ocphy=9032737&hvtargid=pla-337005193377&psc=1
I've used both. I currently have nano spikes and they are far superior to yaktrak. They have metal nubs that provide good traction on ice. You can also get some with more pointy spikes as well. For your purposes, I"d go with the nano spikes.
The coils are ok in snow with some give to it. On ice, not so much. The spikes are good for deeper snow where you want good traction. The nano spikes are good on both ice and snow that has been packed down. For Zion, the latter is more likely. For fresh snow, you just need shoes/boots with decent traction and won't need any thing else. So bring along shoes that have some good grip on the bottom. Also, for whatever ice assists you get, when in doubt, size up. Most involve stretching some tough rubber over your shoes. As time goes on, they get stiffer and harder to stretch.

nano spikes
The Nanospikes seem to be due running/regular sites and I will be wearing my hiking boots. Do you have any experience with the microspikes type to tell they are overkill for Zion winter use?

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The Nanospikes seem to be due running/regular sites and I will be wearing my hiking boots. Do you have any experience with the microspikes type to tell they are overkill for Zion winter use?
Spikes are overkill and might give problems with TSA??

You are most likely to find either bare dirt or some snow that has been packed down. Spikes are not good on bare dirt (and really bad on rock); better on deep snow. The nano and yaktrak work ok on short stretches of bare trail so they are more flexible.

If you need any kind of ice/snow assist, make sure the trail you choose for that day fits the conditions. Snow that has been packed down by hundreds/thousands of feet is REALLY slippery. The nano etc will help, but they can't work magic. If you are on a steep hill (like Walters Wiggles) with people in tennis shoes (or probably flipflops ;)) around you waiting to take you out like a bowling ball, go elsewhere. Angels Landing gets all the hype, but only go there if it is bone dry. It's really too dangerous for most of the people who go there with zero experience (noted by their footwear). I think the trail past it is better, but you still have to deal with the conga line up Walters Wiggles.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spikes are overkill and might give problems with TSA??

You are most likely to find either bare dirt or some snow that has been packed down. Spikes are not good on bare dirt (and really bad on rock); better on deep snow. The nano and yaktrak work ok on short stretches of bare trail so they are more flexible.

If you need any kind of ice/snow assist, make sure the trail you choose for that day fits the conditions. Snow that has been packed down by hundreds/thousands of feet is REALLY slippery. The nano etc will help, but they can't work magic. If you are on a steep hill (like Walters Wiggles) with people in tennis shoes (or probably flipflops ;)) around you waiting to take you out like a bowling ball, go elsewhere. Angels Landing gets all the hype, but only go there if it is bone dry. It's really too dangerous for most of the people who go there with zero experience (noted by their footwear). I think the trail past it is better, but you still have to deal with the conga line up Walters Wiggles.
TY

BTW we are driving so no TSA to contend with if we were bringing spikes.

We are only going to go on easy peasy rated hikes (like the Zion Overlook Trail) so just purchased nanos for everyone.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@winger, it looks like you’ll have beautiful weather in Zion. We’ve been hiking the last few days and it’s been cold in the canyon in the early morning, but after the sun comes out it’s glorious!

Do carry your ice cleats with you, even if the trailhead looks clear. Many of the trails in the canyon have sheets of ice on them when you gain elevation or go under rock ledges in the shade. We didn’t have cleats and wished we did. We were envious of those with “crunchy boots” passing us on the trails. (We still managed to do 20 miles,)

Also, GO EARLY! The park has been really busy this week. Kolob Canyon (northern entrance off I-15) is a stunning, less visited part of Zion NP.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• F439F108-DC61-4285-A82F-C834FD1FF450.jpeg
    F439F108-DC61-4285-A82F-C834FD1FF450.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just another day in Zion!

Attachments

• 68C07EAB-0388-4E63-9EAB-5BD2970BABBC.jpeg
    68C07EAB-0388-4E63-9EAB-5BD2970BABBC.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 23

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Just another day in Zion!
What a beautiful photo! I’d like to use it as my iPad wallpaper, if okay with you. We loved our visit to Zion in September 2021.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So @winger, did you make it to Zion? How is it? Weather here in Mesquite, Nevada is nice and sunny, so I'm hoping you have similar good weather in Springdale.

Dave

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
So @winger, did you make it to Zion? How is it? Weather here in Mesquite, Nevada is nice and sunny, so I'm hoping you have similar good weather in Springdale.

Dave
So, we just finally slowed down today to do normal stuff - it's been a fast paced week.

Weather was great in Zion, we ended up hiking the Canyon Overlook Trail on Dec 25 (Christmas Day) starting around 3PM right after we arrived in Springdale and did an early check in. Construction at the west Entrance did slow things down a bit, but we were able to find parking in the lot located a hundred yards or so past the tunnel exit. The next day, we hiked Watchman's (got a bit muddy on the way back down), Riverside Walk then Weeping Rock Trail. The last trail, although short, was a little dicey with ice on the first part of the trail, but we managed without the spikes (just walked gingerly like everyone else before and after us). Basically, this was a full day for us - maybe the elevation had something to do with it, but for sure, it was a lot of walking.

Luck was on our side this visit with cold/wet weather occurring before and after our visit. We bumped into a guest at our hotel while in Springdale who had just arrived from Bryce. Apparently, roads were clear but some trails were icey.

Overall, wonderful experience, worth a revisit at some point for sure!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So, we just finally slowed down today to do normal stuff - it's been a fast paced week.

Weather was great in Zion, we ended up hiking the Canyon Overlook Trail on Dec 25 (Christmas Day) starting around 3PM right after we arrived in Springdale and did an early check in. Construction at the west Entrance did slow things down a bit, but we were able to find parking in the lot located a hundred yards or so past the tunnel exit. The next day, we hiked Watchman's (got a bit muddy on the way back down), Riverside Walk then Weeping Rock Trail. The last trail, although short, was a little dicey with ice on the first part of the trail, but we managed without the spikes (just walked gingerly like everyone else before and after us). Basically, this was a full day for us - maybe the elevation had something to do with it, but for sure, it was a lot of walking.

Luck was on our side this visit with cold/wet weather occurring before and after our visit. We bumped into a guest at our hotel while in Springdale who had just arrived from Bryce. Apparently, roads were clear but some trails were icey.

Overall, wonderful experience, worth a revisit at some point for sure!

Sounds like a lot of fun! Come back in the Spring or Fall - avoid the Summer heat and crowds. Zion has a very different feeling then. (And a lot more people.)

Dave

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun! Come back in the Spring or Fall - avoid the Summer heat and crowds. Zion has a very different feeling then. (And a lot more people.)

Dave
Yes will try Spring or Fall next visit, but won't have an opportunity for that timeframe at least for two or more years based on work schedule. I do not plan on any summer visit, crowds are not my cup of tea.