• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Zika virus

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...-of-brazils-microcephaly-outbreak-doctors.htm

A group of Argentine physicians claim that the sudden microcephaly outbreak in Brazil was not caused by the Zika virus, but by a larvicide injected into the country's water supplies.*

I read something similar recently too. Colombia has a similar level of confirmed zika infections as Brazil yet has no recorded incidents of birth defects. The one difference being that Colombia doesnt treat their water with Monsanto produced larvicide.

I anticipate intense efforts to suppress this information.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
These 'Scientists' have forgotten major points, but importantly -
"Correlation is NOT Causation"

An epidemiologist uses data to show to determine the cause (or lack of) from a correlate. In this situation - these will come to light soon enough regardless of conspiracy theories.

Knowns... Zika crosses the placenta, Zika can be transmitted via semen, Zika is transmitted by a specific mosquito that also carries other viruses, this mosquito is spreading to warm climates, people w/o immunity to Zika can become infected... etc

It will be confirmed soon enough based on Zika vectors and clinical sequela.

Does Monsanto control the CDC?
Does Brazil have motivation to keep this info suppressed or downgrade the impact due to the Olympics?
Do these 'Scientists' include Dr Jenny McCarthy?

Let's not let Facts get in the way of gut feeling... seems to be the way of the world nowadays.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
These 'Scientists' have forgotten major points, but importantly -
"Correlation is NOT Causation"

An epidemiologist uses data to show to determine the cause (or lack of) from a correlate. In this situation - these will come to light soon enough regardless of conspiracy theories.

Knowns... Zika crosses the placenta, Zika can be transmitted via semen, Zika is transmitted by a specific mosquito that also carries other viruses, this mosquito is spreading to warm climates, people w/o immunity to Zika can become infected, symptoms of infection only show up in ~20% those infected... etc

It will be confirmed soon enough based on Zika vectors and clinical sequela.

Does Monsanto control the CDC?
Does Brazil have motivation to keep this info suppressed or downgrade the impact due to the Olympics?
Do these 'Scientists' include Dr Jenny McCarthy?

Let's not let Facts get in the way of gut feeling... seems to be the way of the world nowadays.
Does Monsanto control the cdc. Nope but there us certainly regulatory capture at the FDA. Michael Taylor DC for policy would be the lynchpin there.

Anyway back to correlation and causation.

Zika infected women in Columbia are not giving birth to Microceph babies. Sitka infected women in Brazil are giving birth to Microceph babies. What's the correlation there?

Microceph babies are born without zika infections. Microceph baby's are born in countries that are uninhabitable / inhospitable / too cold for mosquitoes. Correlation? Causation?

Endocrine disruptors are usually the cause of birth defects and larvicide is an ED. That's how it kills the larve it's an organophosphate.
http://www.ewg.org/research/dirty-dozen-list-endocrine-disruptors

I'll also add this huffpost article on why these scientists may be wrong. Access to abortions and other factors may play into this.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/zika-monsanto-pyriproxyfen-microcephaly_us_56c2712de4b0b40245c79f7c

Last edited:

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
I'm a little concerned right now about Zika. We have a cruise scheduled and Disney sent us a travel alert about the areas we will be going (Bahamas and Castaway Cay). I don't think I'll change our plans however.

I'm done having children and my kids are ages 9-15. I'm hoping that they find Zika doesn't stay in semen more than a couple years, for the sake of my older boys. I don't think they'll be having babies until they are at least in their mid-twenties (I hope).

We obviously don't want to wear long sleeves and pants while visiting the islands. If we do get sick, I guess they'll be immune when they are older and starting their families. I don't want Guillain Barre for anyone either, but I hope that risk is very low.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
How Scientists Misread the Threat of Zika Virus - by NPR Staff/ Public Health/ Shots/ National Public Radio (NPR)/ npr.org

"The world wasn't prepared for Zika to fly across continents in the span of a few months. In 2015, when the virus began rapidly spreading across the Americas, health workers were surprised, and researchers were caught flat-footed when it came time to provide information to protecting the public's health.

Scientists misjudged Zika virus as a minor and trivial ailment when it was discovered in 1947, says Dr. Ken Stuart, the founder and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research in Seattle. That oversight is one reason for the dearth of medical knowledge around the virus..."

zika-fumigation_custom-9a1183042142be697475a61d2540874b0d666aff-s800-c85.jpg

A health worker in Lima, Peru, fumigates against the mosquito that spreads Zika virus, dengue and chikungunya.
Martin Mejia/AP

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Irradiated Mosquitoes to Help Zap Zika's Power - from RelaxNews/ Yahoo!News/ news.yahoo.com

"The atmosphere inside the laboratory on the outskirts of Vienna is literally buzzing with armies of male mosquitoes locked up inside net-covered boxes. Their sole mission in life: stop females from breeding.

Better known for keeping a close watch on countries' nuclear activities, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has joined the fight against Aedes aegypti -- the notorious mosquito responsible for spreading dengue, chikungunya and now the Zika virus..."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mosquito deterrents: The Good, the Bad and the Potentially Effective - by Emily Matchar/ Innovation/ SmithsonianMag.com

"With Zika and other mosquito-borne illnesses on the rise, researchers are looking for the next best way to keep the bugs from biting.

There’s not much that's good about mosquitoes. The itch-inducing little suckers kill about 725,000 people a year worldwide through the diseases they transmit: malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, encephalitis, chikungunya, and West Nile virus, just to name a few. Now, with news that the mosquito-borne Zika virus may be causing an epidemic of severe birth defects across South America, Central America and the Caribbean, there’s been an increased focus on mosquito control. Here, we’re highlighting some of the most interesting anti-mosquito innovations of the past few years, some more effective than others..."

mosquito-biting.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

(CDC/PHIL/Corbis)

Richard

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
my kids are ages 9-15. I'm hoping that they find Zika doesn't stay in semen more than a couple years, for the sake of my older boys. I don't think they'll be having babies until they are at least in their mid-twenties (I hope).

I read this in my local newspaper via AP:
The CDC says there is no evidence to suggest that Zika poses a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies. The virus remains in the blood of an infected person for only about a week.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Study Shows Zika Might Cause Guillain-Barre Syndrome - From Aljazeera and Agencies/ Health/ News/ aljazeera.com

"A new study has provided the first evidence that the Zika virus may be the cause for a spike in cases of a severe neurological disorder called the Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).

The study, published in the medical journal Lancet, showed 42 patients developed symptoms of GBS, which causes the immune system to attack parts of the nervous system.

The neurological symptoms include acute motor axonal neuropathy, which is characterised by severe paralysis. It also caused respiratory problems in about a third of the patients who needed medical assistance to breathe properly, the report said.

However, none of the patient-subjects died..."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stopping Zika: The GMO Mosquito that Kills Its Own Offspring - by Sandee LaMotte, CNN/ Health/ cnn.com

" (CNN)OX513A may soon be a household name in the fight against Zika in Florida.

No, he's not a new member of the Star Wars cast. OX513A is a male Aedes aegypti mosquito, genetically engineered to pass along a lethal gene to wild females that makes the females' offspring die. He's the product of Oxitec, a small biotechnology company launched by Oxford University professors in 2002, now owned by global biotech giant Intrexon.

And depending on the outcome of public comments to the FDA, OX513A could make his first appearance in Florida later this year as part of a trial, testing his ability to fight Zika-carrying mosquitos in Florida..."

Editor's Note: This is part three in a four-part series about the efforts to stop or slow the spread of Zika virus though the use of modified and engineered mosquitoes. See All 4 pieces here

Richard

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Duplicate - sorry

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Does Monsanto control the cdc. Nope but there us certainly regulatory capture at the FDA. Michael Taylor DC for policy would be the lynchpin there.

Anyway back to correlation and causation.

Zika infected women in Columbia are not giving birth to Microceph babies. Sitka infected women in Brazil are giving birth to Microceph babies. What's the correlation there?

Microceph babies are born without zika infections. Microceph baby's are born in countries that are uninhabitable / inhospitable / too cold for mosquitoes. Correlation? Causation?

Endocrine disruptors are usually the cause of birth defects and larvicide is an ED. That's how it kills the larve it's an organophosphate.
http://www.ewg.org/research/dirty-dozen-list-endocrine-disruptors

I'll also add this huffpost article on why these scientists may be wrong. Access to abortions and other factors may play into this.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/zika-monsanto-pyriproxyfen-microcephaly_us_56c2712de4b0b40245c79f7c

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...is-the-cause-of-severe-brain-defects-at-birth

After months of hesitation, U.S. health officials now say that the Zika virus is indeed the cause of severe brain damage in the infants of some women who were infected with the virus during pregnancy.

A CDC review published online Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine describes evidence of what U.S. health officials now call a causal relationship between the virus and a severe form of microcephaly and intracranial calcifications.

The study marks a turning point in the current Zika outbreak, says Dr. Tom Frieden, chief of the CDC. "There's still a lot that we don't know, he says. "But there is no longer any doubt that Zika causes microcephaly."

Last edited: