• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your Favorite Masks?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
N95 is a U.S. standard - National Institute for Occupation Safety and Health (NIOSH) - and has a strap that goes around back of your head below the ears and a strap that goes around the crown of your head.

KN95 is a Chinese standard and has ear straps.

There's a decent discussion of the differences at:

I bought a pack of 20 KN95 masks from Amazon along with a couple of boxes of simple 3-layer masks to keep in my car and truck. DW had gotten us some cloth KN95-compliant masks with replaceable filter inserts - that's the one I typically use. I had tried a silicone one with replaceable filter from GIR, but didn't like it because the filters kept slipping out. I started out this thing using an N95 mask I had previously used while chipping concrete for a bathroom remodel and was happy to replace that with the cloth KN95 one when I got it. I replace the filter insert about once a week and keep the mask on the dashboard of my truck - sunshine and heat are great disinfectants.

Comparison Chart for N95 & KN95 masks:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
After my N95 Respirator my favorite Mask is hand sewn by Patti. Two layers of cotton sheets and in between the two layers of of cotton sheets is two layers cut from an old pair of Patti's Nylon Stockings. She does two different attachments - loops around the ears or lower and upper tie behind the head.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
After my N95 Respirator my favorite Mask is hand sewn by Patti. Two layers of cotton sheets and in between the two layers of of cotton sheets is two layers cut from an old pair of Patti's Nylon Stockings. She does two different attachments - loops around the ears or lower and upper tie behind the head.

great job.......sounds like all you need is the bow tie.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally would like to hear more about this former (note I did not use the word "old") girlfriend.

It is pretty simple. I try never to burn bridges and have cordial relationships with my 2 ex-wives and 3 or 4 "former" girl friends. I keep in closest touch with Ex-Wife #2 who is the Mother of our 3 kids...

George

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I have ordered cloth masks from both of these companies, and have been happy with the purchases:

I'm considering buying a neck gaiter for when it gets cooler. It would be convenient in certain situations to be able to move it off and on your face quickly. Maybe something like this:
1593658631434.png

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
n95s are very common on farms because of the grain dust, so we found a few kicking around the shop. Also have a few disposables for quick usage. Had some really nice large paper napkins that I was able to make disposables from (following the folded bandana w/rubber bands pattern) when they were originally hard to find. I also made some of the folded ones from cloth napkins but they were too thick to breathe comfortably.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What you see below is from the NY Times Climate Forward newsletter. It describes effectiveness of the four popular kinds of masks but also comments on how environmentally friendly they are.

There are basically four choices: N-95 respirators, surgical masks, reusable cloth face coverings and disposable paper masks.​
N-95 respirators, which create a facial seal, and surgical masks offer the best protection. Experts say that for general use, though, the difference in safety is small while the contrast in sustainability is vast. The best bet for a reasonable balance of protection and sustainability, some say, is a reusable cloth mask.​
Mark Nicas, an adjunct professor at the University of California Berkeley’s School of Environmental Health Sciences, estimated that, when worn properly, surgical masks and cloth masks are about equal (75 percent effective) when it comes to reducing the spread of viral droplets to people around you.​
Cloth masks are less efficient at protecting you against droplets from others (about 50 percent effective for cloth, compared with 75 percent for surgical masks).​
In terms of sustainability, however, “there is no question” that cloth masks are better for day-to-day use, said Gang Sun, a researcher in fiber and textile chemistry at the University of California, Davis.​
That’s because medical grade N-95 masks and surgical masks are generally not reusable and usually made from synthetic materials that, like plastic, derive from petroleum and similarly do not break down quickly in landfills.​
The same is true of disposable paper masks, which usually contain a lot of microplastics.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
IMG_0927.jpg

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We bought a couple masks from Crazyshirts- I love their Kliban Cat shirts and now I have a mask. It fits great, comes with several flexible nose pieces that can be removed for laundering, and I can breathe better than with the disposable or cotton fabric ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Great beach wear! yeah baby!

5f822c7b954647f03c0d822bb6444dd8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My favorite mask:

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 7.55.54 PM.png

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have lots of different types of masks. I have found that the easiest ones to breathe in are the disposable kind. They are cooler and I can wear them a lot longer without needing to go to a corner to breathe for a minute.

Also be careful with dark masks. I have lots of black ones or navy blue. They are impossibly hot when wearing outside doing physical activities or even just carrying on a conversation.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the swimming mask idea!! Right now I prefer the blue surgical or a Joann fabrics made mask.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Breaking New: The President Wears A Mask for the First Time in Public

Note: This is not a discussion about politics. It is simply an announcement that the President is finally wearing a mask. This is good news for the country. Hopefully, if people see the President wearing a mask, there will be fewer mask fights.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Breaking New: The President Wears A Mask for the First Time in Public

Note: This is not a discussion about politics. It is simply an announcement that the President is finally wearing a mask. This is good news for the country. Hopefully, if people see the President wearing a mask, there will be fewer mask fights.
Good !

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been making masks since they were recommended. I started out with a simple pleated pattern but after a friend sent me one with a filter pocket, I switched to making those. In addition to the filter pouch, they have a channel into which I insert a piece of pipe cleaner to keep the mask up over the nose and close the gap a bit.

I’ve worked from home for 13 years, so am used to not going it much. Just runs to the grocery and wine shop and vet visits, so I haven’t had to wear them for too long at a stretch. so far, so good.

My SIL is a nursing supervisor in a NICU unti and I made a batch for her. It turned out that one pattern (the cats) went perfectly with some scrubs that she had given her nurses, so I ended up making 25 so each could have one. I give the rest to family and friends. I find it very therapeutic.

Attachments

• B8287693-513F-42C4-8FA9-897DC88B7375.jpeg
    B8287693-513F-42C4-8FA9-897DC88B7375.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 19

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
One of my "pet peeves" are people who wear a mask with their nose uncovered or worse yet, with the mask covering only their chin.

I've seen people working in medical facilities do this. I've seen phamacists and dentists do this. They should know better.

I wonder if a person is a "nose breather" and their nose is uncovered, if the mask does nothing at all.