• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yosemite

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What is the best way to see the main Yosemite attractions in fall ? Im not opposed to taking a tent. I was thinking of Yosemite Valley or Village. The Housekeeping Camp was suggested by friends as a very cool spot to wake up and see nature.

Thanks
Bill

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to see the main Yosemite attractions in fall ? Im not opposed to taking a tent. I was thinking of Yosemite Valley or Village. The Housekeeping Camp was suggested by friends as a very cool spot to wake up and see nature.

Thanks
Bill

Housekeeping is camping, IIRC. It's gets pretty chilly in the fall. All the waterfalls will be dried up, but Yosemite Valley is breathtaking no matter the season. You may be able to find a good deal in Awhahnee in the fall, as it is off-season. Can you say "heated room?" Did I mention it gets darned cold at night in the fall?

I don't remember whether the Camp Curry tentcabins are heated or not. I enjoyed staying there in the summer. I also enjoyed staying in Wawona.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My personal preference is to camp in the valley but we have friends who do the housekeeping camp thing and seem to like it. The tent cabins are very close to each other and even though the sites in the valley are small, they seem spacious compared to the housekeeping tents, imo. If you are camping this fall you need to get a reservation asap. We usually stay in the valley, and we're not at all picky about the particular campground. Often we have to take what we can get but your experience as a timeshare owner will prepare you well for looking for an upgrade to your campsite. :p

When we camp late winter/early spring we rent an RV in Clovis and drive it in. They also rent gear so that is an option that would make your life easier if you are flying in.

As far as lodging in the valley, the Yosemite Lodge has been recently updated but honestly the only thing going for it is location. Otherwise it is a very average accommodation for an above average price tag. The Ahwahnee is even more expensive but since we're saving that experience for a later stage of our life (after camping) I can't comment on if it is worth the price. We always have a meal or two there while we are in Yosemite - the dining room is amazing!! The public areas are worth a look as well.

We're headed up there in three weeks. I can hardly wait!

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
You'd have to pay me to stay in one of those housekeeping tents. They are so close together that you are going to hear somebody snoring several tents away.

The motels in the valley are over priced for the accommodations but it's location, location, location. Ahwahnee is worth lunch at the bar but is WAY out of my price range even in the off season. I've looked at the various options and always end up staying at Bass Lake and driving in. Being able to go home to a 2 BR condo at night is worth the extra drive especially once you compare the costs. It's maybe an hour to Glacier Point which is great in the fall. The Valley is always pretty, but the lack of water makes this a much better option in the spring.

In Sept, if you want to see the high country on the east side of the park, look at renting condos in June Lake or Mammoth Lakes. There are tons of them and they are at most, 45 minutes to Tioga Pass.

Sue

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'd have to pay me to stay in one of those housekeeping tents. They are so close together that you are going to hear somebody snoring several tents away.

The motels in the valley are over priced for the accommodations but it's location, location, location. Ahwahnee is worth lunch at the bar but is WAY out of my price range even in the off season. I've looked at the various options and always end up staying at Bass Lake and driving in. Being able to go home to a 2 BR condo at night is worth the extra drive especially once you compare the costs. It's maybe an hour to Glacier Point which is great in the fall. The Valley is always pretty, but the lack of water makes this a much better option in the spring.

In Sept, if you want to see the high country on the east side of the park, look at renting condos in June Lake or Mammoth Lakes. There are tons of them and they are at most, 45 minutes to Tioga Pass.

Sue

I seem to recall Mariposa being a good 40 minute drive from the Valley, and Bass Lake a good 45 minutes further. That's a 3 hour daily round trip commute to the Valley...Remember that the Valley to Mariposa is pretty slow going, with twisty curvies and coyotes in the road.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I could probably get a unit at Worldmark Bass Lake but we were thinking we would like to wake up and have coffee with a view of something nice like the mountains from Yosemite Village. The Yosemite Lodge has no vacancies for our dates. This is a spur of the moment trip that is an add on to our Lake Tahoe trip. I was told to expect about a three hour drive, hence the over nite stay idea.

We might just drive up from Tahoe and hang out for a day and see how it goes. If these mountains are anything like the Cascades then it should be a colorful drive in fall.

Thanks
Bill

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could probably get a unit at Worldmark Bass Lake but we were thinking we would like to wake up and have coffee with a view of something nice like the mountains from Yosemite Village. The Yosemite Lodge has no vacancies for our dates. This is a spur of the moment trip that is an add on to our Lake Tahoe trip. I was told to expect about a three hour drive, hence the over nite stay idea.

We might just drive up from Tahoe and hang out for a day and see how it goes. If these mountains are anything like the Cascades then it should be a colorful drive in fall.

Thanks
Bill

It's gonna be closer to 4 hours. As I was reminded in another thread, though the drive to Lee Vining can go pretty fast once you get out of the mountain twisties around Tahoe, You're not going to make intense speed going through the park. The drive back at night could be dreadful after a long early morning drive there and a very active day in the Valley.

On the other hand, if you were to choose to stay in Bass Lake a couple nights, You're pretty much driving 5 hours one way, taking 88 to 49.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
It's 16 miles from WM Bass Lake to the park entrance = 30 minutes unless you aren't good at driving windy roads.

I've done the day trip from Tahoe to Yosemite multiple times and it really only works for a visit to the Tuolumne Meadows area, which is pretty nifty anyway, especially in the fall when the aspens are turning color. However, we should probably define fall. The aspens turn in mid-late Sept and then the snow starts to fly by early Oct. If your trip is in October, then you will want to focus on the west/south side of the park where snow won't be an issue. If Sept, then a few nights on the east side at Lee Vining or June Lake/Mammoth Lakes would work on the way to Bass Lake. Check the closing dates for the campground at T Meadows; it seems like it's been closed when I've been there in the fall.

The mountains are completely different from the Cascades which is why I like it. I love the Cascades and consider real mountains to have a glacier or two, but also love the granite of Yosemite. For mountain options, I'd focus on Glacier Point. You are high above the valley looking over the mountain ranges with an easy dome to climb for the iconic Yosemite experience. Bass Lake can fill up in the fall but the waitlist will probably work especially if you time it for midweek.

The Eastern sierra are spectacular with much more than just Yosemite. There are lots of wonderful hikes around Mammoth Lakes which has lots of lodging options.

Too many options, too little time.

Sue

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 16 miles from WM Bass Lake to the park entrance = 30 minutes unless you aren't good at driving windy roads.

I've done the day trip from Tahoe to Yosemite multiple times and it really only works for a visit to the Tuolumne Meadows area, which is pretty nifty anyway, especially in the fall when the aspens are turning color. However, we should probably define fall. The aspens turn in mid-late Sept and then the snow starts to fly by early Oct. If your trip is in October, then you will want to focus on the west/south side of the park where snow won't be an issue. If Sept, then a few nights on the east side at Lee Vining or June Lake/Mammoth Lakes would work on the way to Bass Lake. Check the closing dates for the campground at T Meadows; it seems like it's been closed when I've been there in the fall.

The mountains are completely different from the Cascades which is why I like it. I love the Cascades and consider real mountains to have a glacier or two, but also love the granite of Yosemite. For mountain options, I'd focus on Glacier Point. You are high above the valley looking over the mountain ranges with an easy dome to climb for the iconic Yosemite experience. Bass Lake can fill up in the fall but the waitlist will probably work especially if you time it for midweek.

The Eastern sierra are spectacular with much more than just Yosemite. There are lots of wonderful hikes around Mammoth Lakes which has lots of lodging options.

Too many options, too little time.

Sue

It is 49.7 miles from the WM Bass Lake to Ahwahnee Lodge. I admire your driving skills!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

It is 49.7 miles from the WM Bass Lake to Ahwahnee Lodge. I admire your driving skills!

Both of these are right. It doesn't take that long to get to the park entrance. Once inside the park, it's still a drive to the floor. It's a beautiful drive, though, so it doesn't seem so bad unless you are hungry or need a potty break!

I stayed at WM Bass Lake and drove into Yosemite 2 days. One day we did the floor and we did spend an entire day doing that. The other day we did Mariposa Grove, which is a shorter drive. We thought about doing a third day of driving into the park, but I was recovering from an illness and we were just too tired to make the effort again. I think I'd have no problem with another day when I am in a normal healthy state because it is a very scenic area.

I looked at other places to stay, but WM Bass Lake was just all around a better option. I am not sure if I would camp in the park. I like the idea of using a RV, but then it makes traveling around inside the park more difficult unless someone else brings in a car. When I have money to burn, I'll probably stay at Awahnee during the cold season. That day may never come, but a girl can dream. I do like to camp, but what I saw didn't look appealing.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both of these are right. It doesn't take that long to get to the park entrance. Once inside the park, it's still a drive to the floor. It's a beautiful drive, though, so it doesn't seem so bad unless you are hungry or need a potty break!

I stayed at WM Bass Lake and drove into Yosemite 2 days. One day we did the floor and we did spend an entire day doing that. The other day we did Mariposa Grove, which is a shorter drive. We thought about doing a third day of driving into the park, but I was recovering from an illness and we were just too tired to make the effort again. I think I'd have no problem with another day when I am in a normal healthy state because it is a very scenic area.

I looked at other places to stay, but WM Bass Lake was just all around a better option. I am not sure if I would camp in the park. I like the idea of using a RV, but then it makes traveling around inside the park more difficult unless someone else brings in a car. When I have money to burn, I'll probably stay at Awahnee during the cold season. That day may never come, but a girl can dream. I do like to camp, but what I saw didn't look appealing.

Nah, you can drive an RV in the park, no problem! You'll be the person sue1947 is cursing and shaking her fist at because she is stuck behind you at 35 :hysterical:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confused by this. Mariposa Grove road has been closed since early July and will not open until approximately spring 2017.

She means the other day as in the third of three days, the first two having been spent in the Valley.

Awww, they are removing the gift shop. :(

Removing the tram tour, too, but I always thought that was silly.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If its a four hour drive from South Lake Tahoe to Yosemite Valley I might have to skip it. We have a week in Tahoe and had planned on seeing some friends in Reno, heading to some silver mine, fishing and wandering around the Lake Tahoe area. It seems to me that Yosemite might be its own trip. I would overlap this trip to go to Yosemite but we are heading to Sun Valley right after the week is up.

Thanks

Bill

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
So, didn't know that Mariposa Grove would be closed until Spring of 2017. Guess I'll have to see if there are any other Giant Sequoias around the area to see. I have a pending week exchange request with a range of June to mid July 2016 for World Mark Bass Lake so I would be there when the waterfalls in Yosemite were still decent and most areas in the park would be open (early June). Not sure how hard this exchange is for that time period.

Greg

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, didn't know that Mariposa Grove would be closed until Spring of 2017. Guess I'll have to see if there are any other Giant Sequoias around the area to see. I have a pending week exchange request with a range of June to mid July 2016 for World Mark Bass Lake so I would be there when the waterfalls in Yosemite were still decent and most areas in the park would be open (early June). Not sure how hard this exchange is for that time period.

Greg

There are, though less spectacular collections and a more strenuous hike back up to parking in both cases. Check out Merced Grove and Tuolumne Grove. And of course there are some small stands in other parks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Another option that a lot of people don't know about is The Redweeks in Yosemite, which is an enclave of private vacation homes/cabins within the park. Accommodations range from rustic cabins to large luxury homes.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Greg

If you have a car, you could drive down to Sequoia National Park for the day. You may even want to stay in there for one night during your week at Bass Lake, just for the convenience. The drive up and down the mountain to Sequoia is pretty intense and I wouldn't want to come down it the dark.

I don't know if you will see any waterfalls in June/July. I went in May last year and the waterfalls were drying up. Other people who visit there more often can probably give you a better idea, but I was told a few times that it was normal for the waterfalls to completely dry out in early June. You may want to add May into your request. It will be a hard match at any rate because that is the high season. I don't know how many rooms WM has there, but it isn't a very large complex.

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the tent cabins in Curry Village, there are also wood cabins for rent that include a full bathroom. We stayed in one in June and they are SO MUCH NICER than the canvas tent cabins or even staying at Yosemite Lodge. You can go online, catch a cancellation, and pick up Yosemite accommodations pretty easily a week or two before check-in. I highly recommend the wood cabins. They are listed on the website for Curry Village as "Yosemite Cabins with Bath". They are spaced much further apart, include a nice front porch, a full bath, and are in a great location in the heart of Yosemite Valley.

As for Housekeeping Camp, it is right on the river and that area has it's charms during the summer -- but I would not be inclined to stay there in the Fall. 3 sides are concrete block, but the 4th side is a canvas flap and it gets SOOOOO cold in Yosemite at night. We stayed in them one summer, and my husband refuses to ever stay in those again!!

http://www.yosemitepark.com/curry-village-cabins.aspx

--- Rene

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Greg

There is a good list at the bottom of this article:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Another option that a lot of people don't know about is The Redweeks in Yosemite, which is an enclave of private vacation homes/cabins within the park. Accommodations range from rustic cabins to large luxury homes.

We rented a house in the Redwoods and were pleased with our accommodations and the location.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Thanks Tylon1 and presley. I had picked the earliest as 1st of June so that Glacier Point rd would most likely be open by then. This might be a two trip endeavor to get the spring and then summer season.

Greg

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tylon1 and presley. I had picked the earliest as 1st of June so that Glacier Point rd would most likely be open by then. This might be a two trip endeavor to get the spring and then summer season.

Greg

If you've never been there, you are going to learn that twice is not enough. It cannot be sufficiently described in words or even by video or photos to convey the feelings you will have while in the valley, up on the point, etc.

One thing I will tell you: Early Summer is a great time to go as the falls haven't dried (unless there is severe drought over the Winter) and all points are accessible.

HOWEVER, during that time, the Valley is like Disneyland on Memorial Day Weekend. I've rather enjoyed the times I went earlier in the Spring when crowd counts were a little lower and the falls were all raging, even though Tioga Pass was a no-go.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
If you've never been there, you are going to learn that twice is not enough. It cannot be sufficiently described in words or even by video or photos to convey the feelings you will have while in the valley, up on the point, etc.

Sounds like Glacier National Park in that respect. I could go there several more times and still not see everything. And like you said pictures don't even convey the feelings of being there (coming upon on a emerald green iceberg filled lake and glacier ringed on one side by mountains after a long hike).

Greg

Last edited:

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Bill

Bill,
Besides it being extremely & bitter cold at Yosemite at night in the Fall, I would not recommend staying in the campgrounds. Just this year they have had a couple of branches fall on campers and kill them in their tents. In the past, they have had the hauntavirus outbreaks from deer mice, and now they are in the news again - this time with a plague outbreak (rodents transmitting plague virus to fleas) and they have just closed one of the campgrounds this week.

Our family loves Yosemite, but we choose our sleeping accomodations very carefully since the hauntavirus outbreak. We feel strongly that it is worth paying extra to have enclosed accomodations that (as much as possible) keep you from inhaling urine/feces from tiny deer mice, rodents, or squirrels. For us that means either a wood cabin or hotel room on the valley floor. The least expensive options would be the wood-sided cabins or hotel rooms @ Curry Village or Yosemite Lodge. For those with more to spend -- the Awanahee is pretty deluxe.

The units in housekeeping camp are too open to critters and meandering bears. We stayed there once, and my husband had to make a midnight run to the john. While he was out we heard a bear growling and going through the camp. I was huddled in a corner, because one wall is just a canvas tarp with no way to secure it. Then, we heard someone shooting a gun after the bear. Everything is wide open and my husband is pretty shaken because of course there are no real doors at the bathrooms either, a bear could just walk right in. Finally, it quieted down enough that my husband returned and went right back to sleep, but I was wide awake for the rest of the night tossing and turning and imaging strange noises. The next morning we asked the rangers about it, and apparently someone in the camp had food in a cooler, not in their metal bear-box, where you are supposed to store your food. So, the bear had enjoyed a tasty feast, and the rangers used rubber bullets to chase him out that night. It appears the bears do not really want people (there were kids were sleeping outside under the trees in cots and on the ground in sleeping bags), but apparently the Yosemite bears are like Yogi and have a real affection for people-food.

As for the waterfalls, when we were there June 15/16 the falls were still going, but not very strong. Maybe a couple of weeks of life left in them, but there had been a late snow in May. I finally got to take a rafting trip on the Merced River which runs through the Valley, but the river only knee-deep and hardly moving at all. We got great exercise just using our paddles trying to move down a non-moving river, still the scenery was breathtaking! First time we have ever seen a deer standing in the river eating leaves off a bush. Also, we were there mid-week and the park was not crowded at all. Weekends are the worst for crowds because alot of people will do a Fri-Sat-Sunday trip to Yosemite.

Yosemite campground closing after 2 squirrels die of plague

Posted 2:57 pm, August 15, 2015, by AssociatedPress

"YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif.— Officials at Yosemite National Park say they are temporarily shutting down a popular campsite after two squirrels died of plague in the area.

Park officials said Friday that Tuolumne Meadows Campground will close from noon Monday through noon Friday so authorities can treat the area with a flea-killing insecticide.

Plague is carried by rodents and is spread by fleas. Transmission of plague between people is rare, and state health officials say the risk to human health is low.

An unidentified child fell ill with the plague after camping with his family at Yosemite’s Crane Flat Campground in mid-July. The park reopened Crane Flat on Friday after treating that campground for four days with an insecticide. The child is recovering in a hospital."