• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yet another likely scam ("timeshare relief" type)

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just got a semi-official looking letter in snail mail. It is from

"Resort Owners Association"
3208 East Colonial Drive Ste C, #306
Orlando, FL 32803

They want us to call regarding participating in a program that may eliminate maintenance fees for timeshare owners.

Surprise! This is a "drop box" type address and of course they want money upfront to "participate".

Yet another probable scam operation looking for upfront payment with ZERO guarantee of any real service or transfer to a legitimate taker. Sounds like yet another front for a PCC or "Viking Ship" operation no one should participate in.

As usual they are using a questionable name that seems to suggest this is from your Owners Association. Of course it isn't and that is one of many signs this is a total ripoff of timeshare owners.

Don't try to deal with them or pay them any money or you too will become a victim of a fraudulent operation. Beware! Don't be fooled.

Last edited:

Cozumel Duo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got one too...

It also states at the top righthand corner of the sheet:

Annual Association Notice
Account Number ___________
Account Date ______________

"This Notice was sent to you as a courtesy only. For a limited time, you may participate in this program that may eliminate maintenance fees for timeshare owners. This is only available to a select group of owners and we encourage you to call between April 15th and May 8th, 2012 to qualify.

(877) 519-5829"

I'd like to know how they got our address. This is in the Mr's name so we know which timeshare could have generated this. We never get calls or mail for the the others.

~Tia & Bill Wilke

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a semi-official looking letter in snail mail. It is from

"Resort Owners Association"
3208 East Colonial Drive Ste C, #306
Orlando, FL 32803

They want us to call regarding participating in a program that may eliminate maintenance fees for timeshare owners.

Surprise! This is a "drop box" type address and of course they want money upfront to "participate".

Yet another probable scam operation looking or upfront payment with ZERO guarantee of any real service or transfer to a legitimate taker. Sounds like yet another front for a PCC or "Viking Ship" operation no one should participate in.

As usual they are using a questionable name that seems to suggest this is from your Owners Association. Of course it isn't and that is one of many signs this is a total ripoff of timeshare owners.

Don't try to deal with them or pay them any money or you too will become a victim of a fraudulent operation. Beware! Don't be fooled.

Just down the street from my office, I think it is a UPS Store.... I will be over that way this weekend and will check it out....

Reaction score
I have a feeling these scams get the information from deeds recorded in the county. In most counties in the USA, timeshare deeds are treated like other Real Estate deeds - public notices. Then, once they're posted, anyone who wants to see it can - frauds included.

All you can do is report them to their state's Attorney General.

TS

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Resort Owners Association [SCAM]

sounds like another scam timeshare resale ripoff..

Reaction score
...just got the same notice while we were away in Cape Cod! :p "Select" group of owners to "participate" in a program that "may eliminate" MFs... sadly PT Barnum didn't autograph it.

Our date to respond by was 5/16, and the phone number to call was very much the same as one that calls all the time leaving no message... 888.461.7165

I will say this much about DRI; when they call they ALWAYS leave a professional message complete with name, ext., reason for call etc. They are also good with email communication and they DO NOT overload your inbox with spam.

hefdog

Reaction score
Timeshare Relief

I actually followed through and called the Florida toll-free number. I got the same letter (from Resort Owner's Association). Not sure what state the person who answered was from on the other end. Could have been from anywhere. I set up an appointment to attend a presentation to see how far I could go with this. I live in Southern Calif. so an office locally here in Torrance, CA contacted me.

The presentation was at a hotel, and maybe 10 other owners were there. The presenter gave a well organized and convincing presentation about the Time Share industry renting out weeks in mostly empty resorts to mostly non-timeshare owners at really cheap weekly rates to make up for lost revenues due to the trends with owners defaulting on their maintenance fees. They claim the maintenance fees are rising to support corporate profits and defray ownership defaults on maintenance fees. Their claim is that our maintenance fees triple, and many are assessed huge fees at any time. Worse, our obligations to our maintenance fees can rise for any reason with no ceiling limit forever, and will be passed on automatically to our children, grandchildren, etc for generations.

They offer a buyout to a third party investor group who takes over the title and puts the timeshare into a rental program of some sort. The buyout can cost $3000 and above (paid in one lump sum), and it takes 6-8 months to process before you are officially off title and free from the maintenance fee "handcuff." They paint a picture that we are trapped in our timeshares, and there are no buyers who will take it even if you give it away.

It was a pretty depressing and deflating feeling they put on you, setting you up for their "bailout" plan.

The name of the organization is Timeshare Cure, and they say they've been around for the past 10 years. Their web site is http://www.timesharecure.com/ Somebody please check them out! I didn't go with the offer. Has anybody heard about them? Is there any truth to their claims? Or is this just another scam?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anytime you get a group touting the false "fees are unreasonable, the obligation goes to your heirs, etc" you have at best one that is giving deliberately misleading information. When they want $3000+ they are in it for one reason only - to make money off a story they sold to you (much like a reverse timeshare sales pitch).

Think about it. You'd be paying $3K for a "service" they cannot and will not guarantee to perform. You can accomplish a real sale or transfer for much less. Don't get taken again.

The industry is aware of these groups and are actively closing them down & going after them criminally. Don't get caught up in the crossfire & waste your money. There are much better answers. Talk to your resort.

hefdog

Reaction score
Timeshare Cure

Thank You timeos2. I am aware there are scam artists out there and that this is likely another one. Did you look into this company and see their web site?

When a group alleges such negative things about TS ownership, it does challenge why we own what we own. I must say I am a bit frustrated with my Marriott time share. The economy has put a stress on many markets, and the TS market is no different. People are walking away from homes, and many likely can't afford to use their TS, let alone pay their maintenance fees. I for one have had a hard time, and the fees involved in using my TS have been difficult to pay. I've had to cut back, and this means deferring my time share use. It seems like when I go to use my TS I'm hit with a multitude of fees just to use my week. When I add up all my yearly costs, it begs the question, why have it?

I am leery of what Timeshare Cure is promoting, but I'd like the forum to look seriously into what they are alleging. They claim that the masses want out of their timeshares due to rising maintenance fees that go on in perpetuity and can be raised any time for any reason, and the obligation to pay the fees are passed on for generations. I looked through my paperwork in my TS and I don't see that language anywhere. I do not want to burden my kids with a liability if I die and they inherit my TS and any liability. The Timeshare Cure people paint a picture of entrapment. They also paint a picture that the Wyndhams, Marriotts, and RCIs of the industry are renting out our unused weeks behind our backs to non-timeshare owners to bring in more revenue and that the paying owners are subsidizing that market with all the fees they pay.

I am just wondering how valid all their claims are. It makes you think.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am leery of what Timeshare Cure is promoting, but I'd like the forum to look seriously into what they are alleging. They claim that the masses want out of their timeshares due to rising maintenance fees that go on in perpetuity and can be raised any time for any reason, and the obligation to pay the fees are passed on for generations. I looked through my paperwork in my TS and I don't see that language anywhere. I do not want to burden my kids with a liability if I die and they inherit my TS and any liability. The Timeshare Cure people paint a picture of entrapment. They also paint a picture that the Wyndhams, Marriotts, and RCIs of the industry are renting out our unused weeks behind our backs to non-timeshare owners to bring in more revenue and that the paying owners are subsidizing that market with all the fees they pay.

They want you to "think" - but if you do you'll realize they are selling a false pretense. A reliable - not just guess - of timeshare owners happy with what they own places the average at over 85%. That isn't a sign that "the masses" want out. In fact any resort with over 10% delinquency is likely a troubled one but not the norm. As for the regurgitation of "your heirs will hate you" that has been disproven a number of times.

Sure the resorts & developers - all of them if they are sensible - rent out unused time. But that doesn't affect owners in any way except to potentially lower their fees. What you own you can use - what you don't own the other owners - and that may be developers or the Association - have every right to rent if they see that as it's best use. Before a week can be rented the fees must be paid by the owner. If the Association rents it then it's likely delinquent so the rental helps lower - not raise - fees to the other owners.

It's all a big house of cards and very little is even remotely factual.

Reaction score
When a group alleges such negative things about TS ownership, it does challenge why we own what we own. I must say I am a bit frustrated with my Marriott time share. The economy has put a stress on many markets, and the TS market is no different. People are walking away from homes, and many likely can't afford to use their TS, let alone pay their maintenance fees. I for one have had a hard time, and the fees involved in using my TS have been difficult to pay. I've had to cut back, and this means deferring my time share use. It seems like when I go to use my TS I'm hit with a multitude of fees just to use my week. When I add up all my yearly costs, it begs the question, why have it?

The reason to have it: guaranteed vacations. Larger suites than what hotels offer. Paying for the year instead of a lump sum.

Agreed, lots of people are wanting out of their timeshare. Their "need" fuels scams like this one. For the most part, resorts like Wyndham rent out their weeks, not to get more money, just to put people in the suites. An unused suite is lost money. In terms of rising Maintenance Fees, sometimes they are valid. Since many bundle the taxes in with MFs, that is one reason they rise. Or it could be simple economics like inflation. So, multiplying MFs are very rare. If they rise, it's usually in small increments. In terms of inheriting your TS, that is your choice. If they don't want it, don't "will" it to them.

Here on TUG, you can give your resort away. In other words, pay your MF this year, go on one final vacation and use your week/points, then put it up here to get rid of it. Offer to pay transfer/closing costs. Someone here will want it. And when January (or whenever MFs are due), the other person pays, and you don't owe a thing!

TS

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too...

I'd like to know how they got our address. This is in the Mr's name so we know which timeshare could have generated this. We never get calls or mail for the the others.

I got the same letter from the same above-identified entity on Friday; it was in my hands for just about 11 seconds before falling into the recycling bin in two separate pieces. I very rarely get any such mail or unsolicited phone calls regarding timeshares.

My "suspect" for the source of my name and address is rogue entities from within RCI (to which I no longer even belong, btw). When I did belong, RCI had one letter wrong in my name and that exact same spelling error shows up in the rare unsolicited / unwelcome timeshare-related junk mail I receive on occasion. Personally, I don't believe that this precise spelling error "match" could possibly be "just a coincidence". :rolleyes:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
... Worse, our obligations to our maintenance fees can rise for any reason with no ceiling limit forever, and will be passed on automatically to our children, grandchildren, etc for generations.

As timeos2 has stated, this is false. Here are 2 links for you. Make sure your heirs know they do not have to accept your TSs if they don't want them.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Time-Shares-1843/2011/2/Timeshare-deed-perpetuity.htm

http://www.timesharetrap.com/how-to-refuse-a-timeshare-inheritance.html

Talk to a lawyer in your state to see if there is anything else peculiar to your state.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare cure, aka timeshare relief is a legit company. and they do what they say they will do ...ie take your timeshare for a fee

You can argue with the scare tactics and outright lies told at their traveling side shows, (kinda like the salesmen that got me involved in timeshares) and you can argue about their fees, but at the two meetings I attended there were folks were throwing money (and deeds) at them..

In my opinion there is a need for the service they provide,

But if the resorts would willingly accept deedbacks, companies like Timeshare Relief would be out of business overnight

Last edited:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ron - Keep an eye out for a new program that may allow resorts to be more open to either deed backs or a program to actively create a viable resale program. This type of "service" from Timeshare Relief or any other group has never been a good option, but it has attracted attention of the major players who may be ready to not only take action against these groups but also offer new options to owners who feel they need to get out.

Hopefully we'll see the results in a relatively short time. In the meantime, as always, we are best advised to tell owners to look for other options - always including talking to their resorts - rather than paying ANY company $3000+ to "be rid" of any timeshare. There are almost always better & less expensive options to every owner.

TahoeTSOwner

Reaction score
possibly getting info from rci

Received the same letter - first thing that came to mind was "definite scam". In response to where the company gets the name/address info to do the mailing, I am guessing it's from RCI because the letter was addressed to my husband who is on our RCI membership but he's not on the timeshare title. Makes me wonder if RCI is selling our info... We get lots of these types of letters even though we couldn't be happier with our timeshare usage and trading, but they send them knowing some owners would like to get rid of the obligation and are just hoping to take their money.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doubling down on my bet...

<snip> In response to where the company gets the name/address info to do the mailing, I am guessing it's from RCI because the letter was addressed to my husband who is on our RCI membership but he's not on the timeshare title. Makes me wonder if RCI is selling our info... <snip>

Per post #13 above, RCI is also my bet (...not just a "guess" in my case, since RCI is the one and only other place I have ever seen that particular, specific misspelling of my name, either before or since).

In fairness to RCI, it's not actually their corporate policy or practice to knowingly "share" such information. More likely is that a rogue / disgruntled employee within RCI has obtained this information and is furtively selling it "on the side" to others --- or maybe a former RCI employee "extracted" current and / or former member name and address info before their departure, in order to use it in their own new "enterprise". :shrug:

Last edited:

NTSOinNC

Reaction score
I am not a TSO and...

I do not own a timeshare and I keep getting these notices. I did a google search and it appears the address is a UPS packaging store. Why would I be getting these if I do not own a TS.:eek:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Endless possibilities...

I do not own a timeshare and I keep getting these notices. I did a google search and it appears the address is a UPS packaging store. Why would I be getting these if I do not own a TS.:eek:

Have you ever owned a timeshare previously? (Management company and / or resort are possibilities).
Have you ever rented timeshare usage? (Resort desk would have info in files and records).
Have you ever filled out one of those "win a free trip" (i.e., "lead generator) type cards?
Have you ever attended a developer's timeshare "presentation"?
Have you ever belonged to RCI (...or any other "exchange" company)?

The possibilities are of course numerous, but there is almost certainly a direct link of some sort to the world of timeshare, one way or another. They certainly don't just pull names and addresses out of phone books....

Last edited:

dolow

Reaction score
It worked for me

I recently worked with these guys and they got me out of my time share. I was having a bad experience with my time share and just wanted out.. i wasnt able to use it as often as i liked and was paying almost 1000 a year for the fees. I attempted to sell the thing a few years back but was scammed out of my money.

I figured this was another scam but i went to one of their presentations and you are right, they did paint a pretty ugly image of the time share industry.

I spoke with one of the presenters afters after the presentation and asked for a payment plan for the couple of grand that they said it would cost. I figured they would tell me that I needed to pay all of it up front. To my surprise they agreed to set me up on a payment plan.

Long story short...3 months later I was out of my TS. So if u are looking to get out of yur TS they can do it. But it will cost some money.

I actually followed through and called the Florida toll-free number. I got the same letter (from Resort Owner's Association). Not sure what state the person who answered was from on the other end. Could have been from anywhere. I set up an appointment to attend a presentation to see how far I could go with this. I live in Southern Calif. so an office locally here in Torrance, CA contacted me.

The presentation was at a hotel, and maybe 10 other owners were there. The presenter gave a well organized and convincing presentation about the Time Share industry renting out weeks in mostly empty resorts to mostly non-timeshare owners at really cheap weekly rates to make up for lost revenues due to the trends with owners defaulting on their maintenance fees. They claim the maintenance fees are rising to support corporate profits and defray ownership defaults on maintenance fees. Their claim is that our maintenance fees triple, and many are assessed huge fees at any time. Worse, our obligations to our maintenance fees can rise for any reason with no ceiling limit forever, and will be passed on automatically to our children, grandchildren, etc for generations.

They offer a buyout to a third party investor group who takes over the title and puts the timeshare into a rental program of some sort. The buyout can cost $3000 and above (paid in one lump sum), and it takes 6-8 months to process before you are officially off title and free from the maintenance fee "handcuff." They paint a picture that we are trapped in our timeshares, and there are no buyers who will take it even if you give it away.

It was a pretty depressing and deflating feeling they put on you, setting you up for their "bailout" plan.

The name of the organization is Timeshare Cure, and they say they've been around for the past 10 years. Their web site is http://www.timesharecure.com/ Somebody please check them out! I didn't go with the offer. Has anybody heard about them? Is there any truth to their claims? Or is this just another scam?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Shill Alert

I recently worked with these guys and they got me out of my time share. I was having a bad experience with my time share and just wanted out.. i wasnt able to use it as often as i liked and was paying almost 1000 a year for the fees. I attempted to sell the thing a few years back but was scammed out of my money.

I figured this was another scam but i went to one of their presentations and you are right, they did paint a pretty ugly image of the time share industry.

I spoke with one of the presenters afters after the presentation and asked for a payment plan for the couple of grand that they said it would cost. I figured they would tell me that I needed to pay all of it up front. To my surprise they agreed to set me up on a payment plan.

Long story short...3 months later I was out of my TS. So if u are looking to get out of yur TS they can do it. But it will cost some money.

Another SHILL poster making false statements about a scam company. Legit companies dont need liars posting on the web. Oh wait, this isn't a legit company.

Their website isn't even set up yet. Their website is also exactly the same as another recent scam thread about Resort Members Association. The similar name is not by chance.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176099&highlight=resort+members

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Resort Owners Association

it funny it takes a bit for the scams to find out they are being talked about..

We have to be sure to put the name of the scam outfit, ie.. Resort Owners Association, in the title line as google bots tend to scan a header tags called "title" and give them a higher preference in search results.

I put the name of this outfit with scam in title of a prior post and not soon after we start getting shrill post about how great a job this company did for this person that just happens to have (1) one post on tug..

see it works. the roaches are running when you open the cabinet door. :cool:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort Owners Association --- pure Bulls%*t

Where's Denise, the "master outer" of TUG shills, who visit as "guests" and sing the unsolicited (and much less than believable) praises of assorted scammers in their one and only contribution before just disappearing back into cyberspace?

Meanwhile, just color me "dubious"... :rolleyes: