• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Shearwater renovation?

abbekit

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
Does anyone know if they have finished the refurb of all the Shearwater units? Is there any on-going construction right now?

Do they still assign a unit location based on check in day? I selected Friday check-in with the hopes that we'd be in Building One with a full ocean view and away from the pool. I plan to call and ask for a top floor unit but we're RCI exchangers not owners so don't know if I'll have any luck with that.

Sorry I originally posted this in the wrong forum and I can't figure out how to delete it there (the Hawaii forum).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You probably won't have any luck with a top floor.

They do still assign based on check-in day for exchanges, usually. Don't keep me to that.

The refurb is done, and that is why exchanges are once again so readily available.

I have OGS for 2017 and hope to get something during whale season.

abbekit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
You probably won't have any luck with a top floor.

They do still assign based on check-in day for exchanges, usually. Don't keep me to that.

The refurb is done, and that is why exchanges are once again so readily available.

I have OGS for 2017 and hope to get something during whale season.

Thanks for the info. All I can do is ask :). Last time (our only time at Shearwater) we got 2nd floor (in a 3 floor building). Not bad (great view!) but at the end of our week we did have a small child running like crazy up above us.

I made this exhange over a year ago, we check in this Friday :banana:

Xcalibur

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. All I can do is ask :). Last time (our only time at Shearwater) we got 2nd floor (in a 3 floor building). Not bad (great view!) but at the end of our week we did have a small child running like crazy up above us.

I made this exhange over a year ago, we check in this Friday :banana:
I had a avoided that location because the points are so high for that location in comparison to some other locations.

If I wanted to, I would use a different exchange company where the rates are more reasonable... Trading places, RCI, etc...

Still, I'd over to hear your assessment,

abbekit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
I had a avoided that location because the points are so high for that location in comparison to some other locations.

If I wanted to, I would use a different exchange company where the rates are more reasonable... Trading places, RCI, etc...

Still, I'd over to hear your assessment,

I booked it with RCI at a very low point level over a year ago. Don't remember the exact TPU's but it was a good deal!

As I hoped, they do still honor the day of week check-ins for exchangers so we're in the area that I wanted. And also as suspected they could not give me an upper floor. But they assured me the cliffside vegetation has been cut back and the ocean view is "unobstructed". :)

bearcatjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk
I selected Friday check-in

Does day of the week for check in make a difference?

I posted a thread about check in time at the Shearwater (before even seeing your post) to see if we have a better chance of a good unit if we arrive for check in before 4.

abbekit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
Does day of the week for check in make a difference?

I posted a thread about check in time at the Shearwater (before even seeing your post) to see if we have a better chance of a good unit if we arrive for check in before 4.

I sent email to the resort manager the week prior to check in to request a good view, upper floor. But as exchangers that wasn't possible, he did put us in a great ground floor unit and told us they recently cut back the foliage around the lanai. Turned out to be a fabulous view.

As far as I know the time you check in makes no difference. But the day of the week does. Look at the chart and you'll see the units listed by day of week check in to get an idea of what units are possible. I personally think Friday units (all in building 1) are the best for the views. All full oceanfront. We met people who had unit 101 and they didn't like the fact that it's set up as a handicap unit. But it's an end unit so it has more windows.

A couple of Building 2 units that overlook the pool would be my least favorite. Ground floor in Building 3 has a couple of units that mostly just have golf course views. Higher up would be able to see over the course to he ocean.

Xcalibur

Reaction score
So RCI has different inventory then Windham? How does it work if you are combining two different reservations?Ie Wyndham and then an RCI?