• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Points

Divi_Aruba

Reaction score
Is every Wyndham resort involved in the Wyndham Points? I am looking at buying a Wyndham TS and wondering since it is a 2 bedroom and I only need a 1 bedroom if it was automatically involved with Points and I could just use part of the points for a one bedroom. The site wonlt let you on unless you are already a member so I am uinsure how many points it's worth and so on.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Is every Wyndham resort involved in the Wyndham Points? I am looking at buying a Wyndham TS and wondering since it is a 2 bedroom and I only need a 1 bedroom if it was automatically involved with Points and I could just use part of the points for a one bedroom. The site wonlt let you on unless you are already a member so I am uinsure how many points it's worth and so on.

The answer to your question really depends on how the Wyndham resort you're looking to buy is deeded - - is it a fixed week or points? All fixed weeks units have a point value for those who want to go there, so the points system allows them to do so.

Example of what I'm speaking of . . . I own a fixed week (#18) that is a 3BR lockoff. If someone were to want to stay there using their Wyndham points, it would require 203k. If someone just wanted to stay in the 1BR side, it would be something like 77k and if they wanted the 2BR side it would be something like 126k.

If however I own a timeshare within the Wyndham system that is sold and deeded as 203k points, I can use those points however I wish.

Lastly fixed weeks owners can convert their week of ownership into the more flexible points system for a price. For me, converting my fixed week into the 203k points it would be valued at is just not worth the added expense.

Since I really can't tell what it is you're looking to buy, it is difficult to really answer your question. I guess the short answer would be *if* it is a fixed 2BR week and you only need 1BR, and it is not a 2BR lock off unit, you really can't use just the "value" of the 1BR and use the balance in some other way. Conversely, if it is deeded and sold as points, yes you can use what you need for a 1BR and do something else with the balance to points you own.

Divi_Aruba

Reaction score
The answer to your question really depends on how the Wyndham resort you're looking to buy is deeded - - is it a fixed week or points? All fixed weeks units have a point value for those who want to go there, so the points system allows them to do so.

Example of what I'm speaking of . . . I own a fixed week (#18) that is a 3BR lockoff. If someone were to want to stay there using their Wyndham points, it would require 203k. If someone just wanted to stay in the 1BR side, it would be something like 77k and if they wanted the 2BR side it would be something like 126k.

If however I own a timeshare within the Wyndham system that is sold and deeded as 203k points, I can use those points however I wish.

Lastly fixed weeks owners can convert their week of ownership into the more flexible points system for a price. For me, converting my fixed week into the 203k points it would be valued at is just not worth the added expense.

Since I really can't tell what it is you're looking to buy, it is difficult to really answer your question. I guess the short answer would be *if* it is a fixed 2BR week and you only need 1BR, and it is not a 2BR lock off unit, you really can't use just the "value" of the 1BR and use the balance in some other way. Conversely, if it is deeded and sold as points, yes you can use what you need for a 1BR and do something else with the balance to points you own.

Thanks, it is not a Wyndham Points week, it's fixed. I like the week number but really do not need a 2 bedroom that is why I was seeing if ALL rooms through the Wyndham were also Wyndham Points. Thanks, you answered my question.

Bill4728

Reaction score
NO although all Wyndham resorts are involved in FairShare Plus (FSP) points ( aka Wyndham points) BUT not every TS week at a wyndham resort is a FSP week.

There are three different kinds of weeks at resorts managed by Wyndham:

Weeks ( floating or fixed) which are not in FSP but can be converted to FSP for a large fee. These weeks are great if you want to go to that resort all the time and do not want to fiddle with FSP. (it is almost never a good deal to convert a week to FSP because buying a converted week is almost always much cheaper than paying Wyn to convert the week to FSP.)

Weeks which are in FSP ( either a converted week or a week which was alway in FSP ( these weeks are often sold as UDI (un-divided interest) weeks)

Lastly, there are weeks at resorts managed by Wyndham which are not wyndham weeks at all. But weeks associated with another TS system, but the resort has some weeks there which are managed by Wyndham.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Divi_Aruba

Reaction score
Lastly, there are weeks at resorts managed by Wyndham which are not wyndham weeks at all. But weeks associated with another TS system, but the resort has some weeks there which are managed by Wyndham.

Hope this helps

This is crazy. How many different types can there be? No wonder people are confused! :wall:

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your'e right, at times it can get complicated.

The best way to think of it, is to think that Wyndham is only the management company and manages a resort.

As in most resorts there can be different sections, some even affiliated with different exchange companies and some under different timeshare systems.

Simply because a resort is managed by Wyndham doesn't mean all units are owned and controlled by Wyndham.

This is not unusual in the timeshare industry.

If you want to say what you are interested in someone can probably comment further.

Last edited:

Divi_Aruba

Reaction score
I was actually interested in a summer week in Newport RI. It's 2 bedroom and I would probably only need a 1 bedroom most year which is why I was asking about the points because it is not a lock off. I like the week, but the Wyndham Points looked good as you could use it on weekends and summer on Cape Cod is busy and I know my husband cannot get a whole week off although I know I could. So I will end up not buying it, but I do love Newport even though I live on Cape Cod.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually interested in a summer week in Newport RI. It's 2 bedroom and I would probably only need a 1 bedroom most year which is why I was asking about the points because it is not a lock off. I like the week, but the Wyndham Points looked good as you could use it on weekends and summer on Cape Cod is busy and I know my husband cannot get a whole week off although I know I could. So I will end up not buying it, but I do love Newport even though I live on Cape Cod.

The Wyndham Newport resorts were taken over by Wyndham from Equivest/Eastern Resorts.

Very few owners of prime weeks there converted to FF/WYN points. There really was no incentive since they could be rented out with ease for roughly $2,500 when MF were around $750.

For instance 2 years ago, there were about 15 units at Long Wharf that seemed available within the WYN system for Jly and Aug of about 100 units in total. If available, all of those probably went to VIP owners able to reserve ahead of the 10 mth period.

Although Wyndham brands resorts as Wyndham, Newport resorts are an extreme example of where Wyndham does not control many units. The other resorts have much much less availabitity within WYN. As a MA resident the Patriots day week however has great availability, but is also available throught RCI trades with ease.

Don't buy it for the possible Wyndham connection, many would just buy it for what it is, me included.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you bought newport 2 BR and converted it to points, but only really wanted a newport 1 BR on a regular basis, I wouldn't count on that happening. As the previous poster mentioned most Newport prime summer weeks are not converted to FSP points, so you odds of getting a week there using points is limited. Someone who owns a 1 BR who paid to convert it to points, woud have to convert it to points and not use it themselves.

If going to Newport is important, buy a newport unit that you want. If trading via Wyndham is important than buy a unit that is already in points or is a fixed week converted to points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm moving this to the Wyndham board