• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Pathways - have you used it?

TravelsfromBend

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Pathways to exit Wyndham TS ownership? We had this included in a TS purchase. I understand it was offered by Wyndham for a limited time period. We don't plan to use it for a few years, but I'm interested to know what others have experienced.

ilenekm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We sold a couple of contracts back via Pathways. It took about 4 months until we got our checks. It was pretty easy. The mailed us the paperwork and we mailed it back and waited about 90 days for our $$$. We still have the ability to do this for the rest of our contracts

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pathways is obsolete and it required an additional purchase. The current deedback/buyback program is Ovation, which does not make a purchase a condition of any future surrender. Ovation will also take back resale ownerships in addition to those purchased directly from Wyndham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pathways is obsolete and it required an additional purchase. The current deedback/buyback program is Ovation, which does not make a purchase a condition of any future surrender. Ovation will also take back resale ownerships in addition to those purchased directly from Wyndham.

Not obsolete as it relates to the poster who asked about Pathways. S/he has a contract that could get 20 percent of the purchase price if certain conditions are met.

http://www.wyndhaminteractivesaleshub.com/club-wyndham/CW_Pathway.pdf

Last edited:

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
document is dated 2014 - that's a long time in the timeshare world.

And the operative word is could. I've not read a single report of someone getting 20% back (or any % for that matter).

Last edited:

TravelsfromBend

TUG Member
Reaction score
We sold a couple of contracts back via Pathways. It took about 4 months until we got our checks. It was pretty easy. The mailed us the paperwork and we mailed it back and waited about 90 days for our $$$. We still have the ability to do this for the rest of our contracts

Not obsolete as it relates to the poster who asked about Pathways. S/he has a contract that could get 20 percent of the purchase price if certain conditions are met.

http://www.wyndhaminteractivesaleshub.com/club-wyndham/CW_Pathway.pdf
Yes, we made a purchase within the time when Pathways was available. Whether it was a wise purchase of timeshare or not, the sales rep included Pathways in the transaction. I'm guessing that Wyndham found out that it was more popular than they had anticipated and ended it.

ilenekm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold my contracts last summer. They still honored the program even though it's obsolete

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold my contracts last summer. They still honored the program even though it's obsolete

The question is really whether they have you the 20% buyback. When did you buy the contract that got you into the program? It was introduced not too many years ago.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we made a purchase within the time when Pathways was available. Whether it was a wise purchase of timeshare or not, the sales rep included Pathways in the transaction. I'm guessing that Wyndham found out that it was more popular than they had anticipated and ended it.

No,
it turned out to be less popular than expected. Pathways required a new purchase to bring past developer purchases into the program. So it was no different than the typical timeshare relief company that requires an upfront purchase. And it left out resale stuff

bottom line is that Wyndham got less inventory back to resell at a profit than they had hopes. So they dropped that program in favor of something else called ovation

If you can believe Steve Holmes, Ovation isn't bringing in the numbers that the hoped for either. So expect something new

By the way it has been reported on the wmowners forum that Wyndham is actually paying money for some of the lower mf club Wyndham contracts. If this is true it seems to me that Wyndham is trying to control the secondary market. When I look into my crystal ball I can see the day when the only Wyndham contracts for sale will be what wyndham is selling

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No,
it turned out to be less popular than expected. Pathways required a new purchase to bring past developer purchases into the program. So it was no different than the typical timeshare relief company that requires an upfront purchase. And it left out resale stuff

bottom line is that Wyndham got less inventory back to resell at a profit than they had hopes. So they dropped that program in favor of something else called ovation

If you can believe Steve Holmes, Ovation isn't bringing in the numbers that the hoped for either. So expect something new

By the way it has been reported on the wmowners forum that Wyndham is actually paying money for some of the lower mf club Wyndham contracts. If this is true it seems to me that Wyndham is trying to control the secondary market. When I look into my crystal ball I can see the day when the only Wyndham contracts for sale will be what wyndham is selling

Does your crystal ball say whether or not Wyndham is going to take back all Viking Ship Companies, stripped contracts, all deeds with title problems, etc. If so, do they do it as Manager for the Fairfield trust and/or resorts or as their for profit groups?

One resort that I follow the Wyndham Companies first step is back to the resort, 2nd step Resort holds them until Wyndham wants to take them off their hands.
They had a few exceptions to the rule for the ones Wyndham did not want.

If the Smuggs Resort is an example, the Resort goes first in conjunction with Wyndham. The offer is not for any contract, just ones they want.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does your crystal ball say whether or not Wyndham is going to take back all Viking Ship Companies, stripped contracts, all deeds with title problems, etc. If so, do they do it as Manager for the Fairfield trust and/or resorts or as their for profit groups?

One resort that I follow the Wyndham Companies first step is back to the resort, 2nd step Resort holds them until Wyndham wants to take them off their hands.
They had a few exceptions to the rule for the ones Wyndham did not want.

If the Smuggs Resort is an example, the Resort goes first in conjunction with Wyndham. The offer is not for any contract, just ones they want.

I dont see anything in my crystal ball about how wyndham might act in the future regarding their purchase of contracts. I only know what is and that is that they have whats left in pathways to get back, They have ovation, which we know dosent take everything, and according to someone on WMowners they are buying some back. I know that there are orther ways that wyndham gets back inventory because Steve Holmes said so and I know that they get some back through foreclosure as you have reported.

Regarding Viking Ship Companies, stripped contracts, all deeds with title problems, etc. I have no idea, but remember my premise is that Wyndham wants to control the secondary market. Contracts held by Viking ship companies, stripped contracts, and deeds with title problems arent being sold on the secondary market so why would Wyndham need them.

My questions for the crystal ball have to do with "good" contracts that are being bought and sold. and the answer I see is that wYndham wants to control that market

If they do a good job promoting Ovation and their other buy back programs the timeshare releif companies and their viking ships wont be a problem

Have you seen Wyndhams google ads where they direct sellers to Ovation. ?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont see anything in my crystal ball about how wyndham might act in the future regarding their purchase of contracts. I only know what is and that is that they have whats left in pathways to get back, They have ovation, which we know dosent take everything, and according to someone on WMowners they are buying some back. I know that there are orther ways that wyndham gets back inventory because Steve Holmes said so and I know that they get some back through foreclosure as you have reported.

Regarding Viking Ship Companies, stripped contracts, all deeds with title problems, etc. I have no idea, but remember my premise is that Wyndham wants to control the secondary market. Contracts held by Viking ship companies, stripped contracts, and deeds with title problems arent being sold on the secondary market so why would Wyndham need them.

My questions for the crystal ball have to do with "good" contracts that are being bought and sold. and the answer I see is that wYndham wants to control that market

If they do a good job promoting Ovation and their other buy back programs the timeshare releif companies and their viking ships wont be a problem

Have you seen Wyndhams google ads where they direct sellers to Ovation. ?

Saw one awhile ago. Here is a what I saw or very similar one.

https://www.clubwyndham.com/cw/discover/ovationbywyndham.page

Last edited:

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
No,

I think what is more likely to happen is Wyndham adding a right of first refusal clause to contracts. That way they can cherry pick what they want, and the secondary market will have the rest. Similar to Disney but a much grander scale. This will help add value and drive up prices to some Wyndham timeshares (low MF, high demand seasonal,etc). I could go for that.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville

We once bought a direct sale National Harbor contract with the 20% Pathways rider thrown in. Its nice to hear they do honor that, though I doubt we'll ever use it. We plan for our ownership to go to our daughter someday. If we ever reduce, it would of course be smarter to shed some resale purchases because the direct purchase contributes to our VIP benefits.

Bob

ilenekm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question is really whether they have you the 20% buyback. When did you buy the contract that got you into the program? It was introduced not too many years ago.

We bought in 2013 but all of our contracts are eligible for Pathways. At the time we also bought a small Myrtle Beach resale contract, 105 K, through Wyndham for $4100. The sale went through an attorney not Wyndham. They offered us $2600 for that one, probably based on 20% of the original sale.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Does anybody know the approximate time Pathways was introduced or when it ended?

Thanks!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

divearnd

TUG Member
Reaction score

I assume that the contract you sold was in place for the required five years correct? Any idea if Wyndham will take back Pathways eligible contracts that are paid off but have not reached the five year from purchase date period?

twavlr

Reaction score

We were told this summer that if we used our Pathway exit option we would be permanently banned from all Wyndham properties including hotels, etc. Did you experience anything like this in the paperwork you had to sign?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told this summer that if we used our Pathway exit option we would be permanently banned from all Wyndham properties including hotels, etc. Did you experience anything like this in the paperwork you had to sign?
How can you be banned from a Wyndham Hotel if you exercise your Pathways option? Sounds like sales weasel BS.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a total lie to me. Wyndham hotels are not even a part of the same company anymore, and the vast majority of Wyndham hotels are owned by a franchise, I can't imagine them wanting to turn away business because you got rid of a timeshare that has absolutely nothing to do with them. If the salesman's lips are moving...

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a total lie to me. Wyndham hotels are not even a part of the same company anymore, and the vast majority of Wyndham hotels are owned by a franchise, I can't imagine them wanting to turn away business because you got rid of a timeshare that has absolutely nothing to do with them. If the salesman's lips are moving...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The closest that I have heard to this is if you use pathways or ovations (limited editions) to get rid of all of your contracts, Wyndham has you sign something basically saying that this is it and you would not be eligible to own with Wyndham vacation club in the future and they can refuse to sell to you and/or block the transfer of resale contracts to you. If you use pathways or ovations for some but not all of your contracts this would not apply. Who knows if they would enforce it or if so for how long but it gives Wyndham that option.