• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Pagosa Springs recommendations

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
I have a one week stay in a 1 BR obtained through Skyauction coming up next month. I understand this resort is quite large and has a number of different sections. Any recommendations on which section to request?
This will be our first time in this part of Colorado, any recommendations on things to do or sights to see? We were thinking of doing either the Durango to Silverton steam excursion or the Cumbres and Toltec for one day, perhaps a drive over to Mesa Verde for another day. Hot springs and waterfall hikes near Pagosa Springs sound good too. Any recommendations for jeep type tours? TIA

9969hi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from Wyndham Pagosa yesterday. I like Perigine best one level townhouse units. I owe at Quail Cove but have never stayed there, newest construction. Owners usually get Perigine so I don't know if you are owner. Nice owner's reception on Fri and Sat. we did a lot of bike riding and enjoyed the lakes and non traffic paths.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a one week stay in a 1 BR obtained through Skyauction coming up next month. I understand this resort is quite large and has a number of different sections. Any recommendations on which section to request?
This will be our first time in this part of Colorado, any recommendations on things to do or sights to see? We were thinking of doing either the Durango to Silverton steam excursion or the Cumbres and Toltec for one day, perhaps a drive over to Mesa Verde for another day. Hot springs and waterfall hikes near Pagosa Springs sound good too. Any recommendations for jeep type tours? TIA
Call the resort and ask for a unit in Teal Landing or Ptarmigan. Teal Landing is the last section built and Ptarmigan has been completely renovated within the last year.

I can highly recommend the combination of the Durango & Silverton train trip coupled with an all-day zipline adventure. Pricey, but a real bargain for a once-in-a-lifetime experience (we have done it twice, it was so much fun!).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I owe at Quail Cove but have never stayed there, newest construction. Owners usually get Perigine so I don't know if you are owner. Nice owner's reception on Fri and Sat. we did a lot of bike riding and enjoyed the lakes and non traffic paths.
There is no "Quail Cove" section at Club Wyndham Pagosa. Club Wyndham owners get whatever HOA they reserve using their points. Teal Landing (the "newest" construction) is slightly higher points than some other HOA's.

The rental through SkyAuctions is obviously not an owner's booking.

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Thanks for the advice, I will call the resort closer to our week and see if we can put in a request.

9969hi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry , you are right I owe at Teal Landing, not Quail Cove . I think Ptarmigan is all Worldmark now so I don't think you will be able to get an unit there.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Ptarmigan is all Worldmark now so I don't think you will be able to get an unit there.
There are more than 1,000 individually owned intervals in the Ptarmigan section. Wyndham has transferred a lot of the intervals obtained through deedbacks and foreclosures into WorldMark. For Ptarmigan to be completely WorldMark, every Ptarmigan owner would have to deedback their ownership to Wyndham through Certified Exit or default and Wyndham would have to transfer every deeded interval to WorldMark. That is unlikely to ever occur.

I requested a Ptarmigan unit on my last two RCI stays at Wyndham Pagosa because of the recent renovations, and it was no problem. The renovated units are very nice -- granite countertops, plank flooring, etc.

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
We are at Wyndham Pagosa now in a Peregrine B side unit. I think this is the standard 1BR. The A side must be the deluxe 1BR. It looks like it has been renovated fairly recently, it is a nice comfortable unit for 2. We like that it has a flat entry and is one level.

Many of the Ptarmigan units appear to be closed for renovation.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the Ptarmigan units appear to be closed for renovation.
I have stayed in 3 renovated Ptarmigan units since last year, and witnessed the Ptarmigan units 7223-7230 being renovated last summer, so I think the Ptarmigan renovations might have been completed summer 2023, or certainly by the end of 2023.

Since you are there, what are the unit numbers being renovated?

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
From the map I think it is 7201-7216 but will confirm tomorrow

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Units 7201-7216 are currently closed for parking lot reconstruction (not unit renovation). It was more obvious this morning why that group of units was closed off.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The units at Village Pointe are terrible. The stairway is treacherous to get to the top floor in snowy/icy conditions. Not sure about Master's Place. We owned at Peregrine and Master's Place. We were assigned a unit at Village Pointe, and it was old and sad. We asked to be moved to Peregrine.

Pagosa Springs, Fairfield Plantation, and Fairfield Bay all have different areas, different unit types, and it's strange that Fairfield, back before Wyndham, didn't do a standard unit floorplan. They switched it up a little bit too much.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Units 7201-7216 are currently closed for parking lot reconstruction (not unit renovation). It was more obvious this morning why that group of units was closed off.
Good to know. Yeah, that parking lot was in desperate need of a complete repaving.

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
The Village Pointe units across from us appear to currently be under renovation.

Attachments

• IMG_20240722_153417979_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240722_153417979_HDR.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 23

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Hey Everyone,

Great discussion - glad I found it! We have an RCI exchange into a 1 Br Deluxe unit at the resort from Sept 15 to 22 (Sun checkin). Excited to find out that the Colorfest Balloon Festival is during the last weekend of our stay - so we can see the balloons fill the sky both mornings at 8 am. I was told by a resort rep that we will likely to assigned to the Peregrine complex which is located on the golf course. Is this the golf course where the balloons are flown over? Any recommendations on a specific building/unit to request at Peregrine complex.

TIA for any suggestions.

Also, been working on my itinerary here for a past day. We are hikers who enjoy beauty scenery on easy to moderate hikes up to 4 to 5 hrs. Are the drives to hikes like Piedra Falls and Great Meadows Reservoir on gravel/dirt roads part of the way? Are these roads in good condition and drivable in a Grand Caravan?

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
When we stayed at Pagosa Springs years ago, we did both train rides. The Durango & Silverton was nice, but I enjoyed the Cumbres & Toltec even more. It winds through several states, and the scenery is breathtaking! No matter what you decide, you'll have a great time!! Enjoy!! :wave: (Can ya tell I'm green!)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
@Jwerking It will be very cool weather for your visit, so plan accordingly.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Glad to hear Ptarmigan got much needed renovations. Be aware that the kitchen/lving room on the "standard" side is very small.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
@Jwerking It will be very cool weather for your visit, so plan accordingly.
Thanks for the heads up - never expected it to be cool weather in mid- Sept?? But taking coats, hats, and gloves anyway for sure to be on the safe side. We finally got rid of all that high 90s and high humidity levels here on the VA beaches about a week ago that we had for about month from mid- july to mid-Aug. It is actually very pleasant weather now - love it!

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Piedra falls is about an hour north of the resort, most of the drive is on fairly smooth dirt roads in a wide open valley. The road starts right at the resort. You switch to a different dirt road at the campground pictured, from there is it about 8 miles to the falls. As long as it is dry, you will be fine in a Grand Caravan, we drove it in a rental Nissan Rogue this July. The last 8 miles or so is a bit narrow in places but should be a very pretty drive in mid Sept. We encountered less than 10 vehicles on the way to the falls and there wasn't many people at the falls (and this was in July). The easy hike from the trailhead to the falls is about a mile. There was also a short hike to Ice Caves/Fissures that you pass going to Piedra Falls. We forgot about that one, likely worth doing if you're going out that way.

Treasure Falls is another waterfall that is easy to get to from Pagosa Springs. You can see it from the road going out to Wolf Creek Pass, the hike up to the falls is also about a mile but has some elevation gain.

Attachments

• campground near Piedra Falls.jpg
    campground near Piedra Falls.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Piedra falls 1.jpg
    Piedra falls 1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Piedra falls 2.jpg
    Piedra falls 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 23
  • road to Piedra falls.jpg
    road to Piedra falls.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
There is a number of easy hiking trails thru woods and meadows in Pagosa Spring area. Also, Chimney Rock National Monument is worth visiting. It is about half an hour drive west and then south on Hwy 151. For Mesa Verde visit I would spend night in Cortez,CO and return to Pagosa Springs after visiting Mesa Verde next day. If you decide to drive to Treasure Falls on Hwy 160, drive up towards Wolf Pass and stop at a marked overlook to take in beautiful scenery below.

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
When we stayed at Pagosa Springs years ago, we did both train rides. The Durango & Silverton was nice, but I enjoyed the Cumbres & Toltec even more. It winds through several states, and the scenery is breathtaking! No matter what you decide, you'll have a great time!! Enjoy!! :wave: (Can ya tell I'm green!)

We did the 5+ hour D&S Cascade Canyon ride, that's goes about halfway to Silverton with about an hour off the train at the canyon and then returns to Durango. Very scenic! That allowed us time to make it to the Bar D chuckwagon supper that evening.

We were able to watch one of the Cumbres & Toltec trains leaving Chama station at the end of our trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20240723_112427452_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240723_112427452_HDR.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240727_095103369.jpg
    IMG_20240727_095103369.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 14

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
. If you decide to drive to Treasure Falls on Hwy 160, drive up towards Wolf Pass and stop at a marked overlook to take in beautiful scenery below.

Forgot about this ~ Treasure Falls IS beautiful ~ saw it on our way up to the Pass. We stopped at Wolf Creek Pass, (famed in song & story ~ C.W. McCall ~ Wolf Creek Pass is a high mountain pass on the Continental Divide, in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado.) There is a picnic area up there. or there was years ago. We planned to have a Birthday Picnic lunch up there, but who would've guessed there'd be 3 feet of snow there mid June!?? :ponder::oops: Maybe weather will be better in Sept.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey Gravityrules and All ,

Thank you for much for the info regarding the gravel/dirt roads to Piedra Falls and beyond with the pictures. As east coast city dwellers, we are use to paved road everywhere.

For sure, we had also planned to include Ice Cave/Fissures on that day as well as continuing to Williams Reservoir . For sure, Treasure Falls and beyond are on our agenda as well as spending a day at Chimney Rock Nat. Monument. We are doing Mesa Verde as part of our 7 week trip on our way to Page, North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, and Canyonlands. The week prior we are at a WM Estes Park to visit Rocky Mountain NP - with tons of fairly challenging hikes planned for two seniors. The high altitude may be a problem with fatigue, so game plan is to switch to easy hikes if needed. So not much to do at Pagosa Springs for an entire week - so have two rest days to do nothing while there - which will be great!

Joyce