• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham or Worldmark

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
I know the differences between Worldmark and Wyndham and how the operate seperatly but share some inventory with each other (very limited)

My wife and I just bought Wyndham because we go to Flagstaff every year for a week. We also go to Indio twice a year for vacation as well. I just noticed that Worldmark has a hotel in Indio, CA.

My questions are:

1. Is there a reason to pick wyndham over worldmark or vice versa? We live in CA...
2. Does anyone own both and can things get confusing if you own in both systems?
3. Wyndham's system seems pretty simple to use, is worldmark pretty compatible?

The wife and I already spend every year about 3k on hotels, we figured this would be a good way to try and save money and if we want to go anywhere else we could just look for a wyndham hotel.

Thanks Tug you guys are great!!!

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... Is there a reason to pick wyndham over worldmark or vice versa? We live in CA ...

Last heard, Worldmark was involved in a lawsuit with the vacation club owers. I do not believe these are deeded properties. Club Wyndham Access is also not deeded property. Club Wynhdam Plus are deeded properties. I believe one of the proposed settlement terms was the loss of some inventory from Worldmark. You may want to line up with a VIP owner who does not want to use their inventory for a year or two to get VIP discounts if you are spending 2-3,000 dollars a year on hotels.

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
We pay that much because we go on vacation 3 weeks a year. My sister has a timeshare with Wyndham and has loves it, always uses it. (She paid developer pice, ugh) That is why we bought Wyndham as well. For Flagstaff and if we ever want to vacation together we can go to the same hotel.

I am not really sure what you mean by all above??

So do you suggest worldmark? Or just stick with Wyndham only?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I am with Wyndham Club Plus. I honestly do not which one I would go with if I were just starting out. Maybe some others might pitch in with the answer.

nole9911

Reaction score
I know the differences between Worldmark and Wyndham and how the operate seperatly but share some inventory with each other (very limited)

My wife and I just bought Wyndham because we go to Flagstaff every year for a week. We also go to Indio twice a year for vacation as well. I just noticed that Worldmark has a hotel in Indio, CA.

My questions are:

1. Is there a reason to pick wyndham over worldmark or vice versa? We live in CA...
2. Does anyone own both and can things get confusing if you own in both systems?

The wife and I already spend every year about 3k on hotels, we figured this would be a good way to try and save money and if we want to go anywhere else we could just look for a wyndham hotel.

Easy one.... As a Wyndham points owner, we have access to all of the World Mark resorts... As a World Mark owner you would have access to a total of 10 of Wyndham's 165 plus resorts. All of the Wyndham Resorts have gone to a points system, so they are all empty.... waiting to fill up. A lot of the World Mark resorts are still on the fixed week system.. Full waiting for people to deposit their weeks into an exhange company... Wyndham wins hands down.

jbcoug

Reaction score
Nole,
I'm sorry but Worldmark has NO fixed week ownership. It is entirely a points based program. Also, Wyndham owners do not have access to all Worldmark resorts, and they only have access to a few units in the resorts they can book.

John

nole9911

Reaction score
Nole,
I'm sorry but Worldmark has NO fixed week ownership. It is entirely a points based program. Also, Wyndham owners do not have access to all Worldmark resorts, and they only have access to a few units in the resorts they can book.

John[/QUOT

Gotcha.... My Wyndham book shows 24 Worldmark resorts.. Are there more? And you are correct in saying that some of the resorts say very limited availability on the website, but I have had no problem booking ten months out. Good info on the fixed week thing though. Thanks. I was told that Wyndham/Fairfield invented the points system in 1991.. Is that wrong too?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can go to: worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/
to see all the Worldmark resorts.

I chose Worldmark because it had more locations that I would use. YMMV

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotcha.... My Wyndham book shows 24 Worldmark resorts.. Are there more? And you are correct in saying that some of the resorts say very limited availability on the website, but I have had no problem booking ten months out. Good info on the fixed week thing though. Thanks. I was told that Wyndham/Fairfield invented the points system in 1991.. Is that wrong too?

There are 71 WorldMark resorts. The 24 you have access is comparable to the 25 Wyndham resorts I see available as a WorldMark owner on the WorldMark web site. Typically there are 2 units per available Wyndham resort available for booking by WorldMark owners. There are a few exceptions with more units available.

nole9911

Reaction score
There are 71 WorldMark resorts. The 24 you have access is comparable to the 25 Wyndham resorts I see available as a WorldMark owner on the WorldMark web site. Typically there are 2 units per available Wyndham resort available for booking by WorldMark owners. There are a few exceptions with more units available.

Thanks for the Info Fred. That makes sense. I cannot ever seem to find availability in Harbortown Point. If there are only 2 units, I can see why. I still love my Wyndham Membership, but it never hurts to learn.

dr_adventure

Reaction score
Traditionally people have said if you travel in the west - Worldmark is best and if you travel in the East Wyndham - and there is probably some truth to this.

The companies are owned by the same parent but are very separate. I own both (mostly Whyndham) but I like some things about worldmark better. Basically there is a small amount of inventory they share but each has more if you are a member of that club - so for example - I went to Cairns AUS to a worldmark resort on Whyndham points - but I wanted to stay longer than a week - with my worldmark ownership I was able to tack on 2 more nights.

nole9911

Reaction score
Traditionally people have said if you travel in the west - Worldmark is best and if you travel in the East Wyndham - and there is probably some truth to this.

The companies are owned by the same parent but are very separate. I own both (mostly Whyndham) but I like some things about worldmark better. Basically there is a small amount of inventory they share but each has more if you are a member of that club - so for example - I went to Cairns AUS to a worldmark resort on Whyndham points - but I wanted to stay longer than a week - with my worldmark ownership I was able to tack on 2 more nights.

Well, I think I made the right decision, because the majority of our vacations are on the east coast. Maybe one day, when the kids are gone and I can explore the west coast without buying 8 airline tickets, I will look into the West Coast Kings of Timeshare... Worldmark.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We own both, for different reasons. We utilize Worldmark because we like to visit Big Bear, Indio, Tahoe, and Kihei. Worldmark is my most cost-effective timeshare (by far) and it is incredibly flexible. You can do almost anything with your Worldmark ownership.

I purchased Wyndham because there was a specific property I wanted to visit (Elysian Beach) that I really love -- and still do. Interestingly, I can now access Elysian Beach via my Worldmark, but that's a separate topic.

I have also found the unexpected side effect that Worldmark is a phenomenally powered trading property -- it trades extremely well through both II and RCI. Additionally, you can rent credits from other owners, so you just rent what you need, when you need it.

I've often said, if I could only keep one timeshare (besides my Marriott), I'd keep Worldmark -- I love it both for its good, SoCal properties, plus its tremendous trading ability.

Good luck with your research!

Best,

Greg

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own WM, but I like the Wyndham resorts much better, mostly because they have Myrtle Beach and some other east coast properties I would like to visit. WM resorts tend to be not as nice as Wyndham, but WM has some gems.

With that said, I do not think there is a cheaper timeshare to own than WM. The buy in costs are much more than Wyndham (which can typically be had for $1), but the WM dues are much more reasonable.

As a trader, nothing beats WM. WM owners can trave via RCI or II for the same amount of points. So, no matter what resort you want, you can exchange into it, no matter what trading company that resort is currently using. I have not had much luck at all using WM to trade in II. Sure, WM pulls very well, but all the best weeks are off limits to us because of Marriott and Starwood preference. In RCI, WM pulls much better, in fact I think WM trades are filled first.

The ability to rent WM points for the same cost as owning them is the benefit that sold me on buying into WM. I only own 5k points, but I can rent as many points as I want whenver I want them and the cost to do this is the same as if I owned those points, but I didn't have the buy in costs and I do not have the ongoing dues commitment.

Hope that helps but in short I would say that if you want to use the Wyhdham resorts, then buy into that system. If you mostly want to stay on the west coast or trade, then buy WM points. If buy in costs is an issue, then Wyndham is going to be your only option. There are no give away deals on WM points, even in today's market.

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score

My questions are:

I think asd a part of the lawsuit, Wyndham is getting some Indio units?, if that is the case, you should be good with just Wyndham.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed your location. I am 100 miles south of you. I don't know anything about Wyndham, but here are some things about Worldmark that are good for me.

1.) Lots of locations on the west coast.
2.) Bonus time specials (able to book nightly stays for very reduced rates.
3.) Monday Madness (Special offers each Monday for different resorts that you can book for cash - reduced rates, which include the housekeeping.
4.) Still in demand for sales.
5.) Owners overall seem very happy with their memberships.
6.) Pretty good community between members (wmowners.com)

Bottom line for you though will be to buy what you will use.

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the knowledge guys/gals....

After talking with the wife this morning I think we are going to see what happens with our 250k points of Wyndham every year and how far that takes us/if we use all of them.

Like earlier said I am a TS novice, but my sister uses hers to its fullest. If we do the same, it sounds like owning two different systems can be benificial.

The only part is keeping it all in order, because Wyndham can already be confusing with all their rules. Throw in WMs rules and it can become a cluster....

Here is another quick question: (I know I could look it up, but maybe someone can answer faster than it takes to look up, and in more simple terms)

1. With Wyndham you can book with use year points and "borrow" from the next year. Dont use your use year you lose them. How does it work in WM? I see on ebay right now that some people get 6k a year but have "banked" 24k points??? That seems like a lot to be banked.

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
You can go to: worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/
to see all the Worldmark resorts.

I chose Worldmark because it had more locations that I would use. YMMV

I have looked at this map and unfortunately it does not help. It lists all the Wyndham hotels as Worldmark. Is there a place to go that ONLY has the worldmark hotels?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... Here is another quick question ... With Wyndham you can book with use year points and "borrow" from the next year ...

You can pool your points for a three year use period or you can borrow regular year use points to complete a reservation and under other circumstances.

If you and your Sister's points are bought retail, there may be a way to add both to one deed, merge the accounts, and walk off with VIP discounts that range from 25 to 35 to 50 percent, depending on the VIP Level. Before you do this, you may want to contact Wyndham Title and make sure this option still exists and what the proceedures are.

Last edited:

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have looked at this map and unfortunately it does not help. It lists all the Wyndham hotels as Worldmark. Is there a place to go that ONLY has the worldmark hotels?

It's not a map, but you can find a list of the WorldMark resorts by state here. The list is for WorldMark only, no Wyndham resorts are included. Note that the WorldMark resorts are condos, not hotels.

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
... Here is another quick question ... With Wyndham you can book with use year points and "borrow" from the next year ...

You can pool your points for a three year use period or you can borrow regular year use points to complete a reservation and under other circumstances.

If you and your Sister's points are bought retail, there may be a way to add both to one deed, merge the accounts, and walk off with VIP discounts that range from 25 to 35 to 50 percent, depending on the VIP Level. Before you do this, you may want to contact Wyndham Title and make sure this option still exists and what the proceedures are.

Unfortunately, (well fortunately actually, thanks to you guys) I bought mine re-sale. Hers were bought retail.

Here is a good ? for you, is there a similar restriction buying re-sale with WM as with Wyndham, i.e. no VIP?

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
It's not a map, but you can find a list of the WorldMark resorts by state here. The list is for WorldMark only, no Wyndham resorts are included. Note that the WorldMark resorts are condos, not hotels.

Well great, after looking at the list I think I should have gone with Worldmark instead of Wyndham. Oh well too late now.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well great, after looking at the list I think I should have gone with Worldmark instead of Wyndham. Oh well too late now.

Buying Wyndham 250K would not have cost too much - the challenge is in the annual dues that you have to pay. You can sell on ebay at any time but may want to try it out first.

Getting a small WM account would cost $2,000-$3,000. The annual dues are much cheaper than most any other timeshares. You can rent as you go, as the small account would not be enough. But you can rent at lower than dues cost (because Wyndham has an over-abundance of rental credits).

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a good ? for you, is there a similar restriction buying re-sale with WM as with Wyndham, i.e. no VIP?

Yes there is, called TravelShare. But the differences are very minor - not significant enough to pay $1.50 per credit for (unless you get a very very large account).

nole9911

Reaction score

I could be wrong, because I was wrong on this topic before, but it seems that if you vacation primarily on the west coast, Worldmark is the best option. If you spend most of your vacations on the east coast, Wyndham is the best option. If you can go wherever you want whenever you want it would be prudent to own both.