• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham access--strategy question

aah25411

Reaction score
Hello--Please feel free to school me/spank me. I freely admit I am a beginner and am overwhelmed at the complexities inherent in this racket.
We are finishing our "Discovery" time and actually like it. The offer is to convert to W. Access permanently, but I am not happy with the price relative to points/time.
So I looked at some resales...they look good. Am thinking of buying a resale of 400,000 pts for 7,000 (Wyndham offer is for 15k for 105,000). If we bought the resale, during one of our stays we would go to one of those obnoxious sales presentations and upgrade back into mainstream Wyndham and up to 500,000/gold.
--Can I trust that the resale is legit? Will Wyndham accept the points, will I be able to access services like a "real" member? Will the resale be valued the same as a first-time membership when they convert it?
--Do resales actually come through or are they just scams? What do I need to look for in order to insure legality of transfer?
--Where and how can I get smarter (besides this page) on how to effectively enter this den of vipers?
They have a really nice product, I don't understand why they need to work like
used car salesmen.
Thanks for any coaching, Allan H.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will not be able to upgrade a resale purchase to gold

To become gold you will need 700000 points purchased from Wyndham ($100000) or have two 3 bedroom weeks to PIC. To pic your way to gold you will still need another 200000 points from Wyndham ($30000)

I would forget VIP and just figure out how many points you need and buy them all on the secondary market and yes the secondary market is for real

And they operate the at they do because the 700000 points they sell for $100000 are available on the secondary market for $7000 or less (I got a million points this month for under a thousand)

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with Ron. The vip benefits aren't worth the outlay of money. But the resale market is legit. Although I think your price of $7k is a little steep. Unless you are buying at a hard to find resort for the advance reservation priority (ARP) points are points, aim for cheaper. The conventional wisdom has always been a penny a point. That would put you at about $4k for 400k points.

aah25411

Reaction score
Thank you both, very helpful. I am relieved to read that "points are points",
but wondering how much of a 2nd class citizen I'll be when I try to use them.
Booking difficulties, getting bumped, last in line?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will see no difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No difference, my Wyndham points are resale, never had a reservation problem or different treatment (except rude comments from sales weasels)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

It seems as if you have taken a sip of the salesmans kool-aid. Spit it out. Points are points and There is no difference when booking reservations

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also purchased resale this month, 182,000 Bonnet Creek, 189,000 Bonnet Creek and 190,000 Grand Desert and 132,000 Grand Desert all annual UDI deeds. Total cost on all 4 $1200 closing costs and resort transfer fees included in purchase price. Never have I had a problem with booking. Only problem is the weasel salesman claiming I was not a real owner and that I couldn't stay at the nicer places. :banana: Buying resale you will have all the benefits of owners that bought from Wyndham. Only thing you will not have is VIP status. I figure I can live without the VIP status for the $100,000 + saved buying resale.

djohn75087

Reaction score
Booking

Since you are a Discovery owner planning to transition a points package, I would like to point out that in order to be happy with your ability to get the reservations you want you will have to be able to book your vacations 13 (ARP) to 10 months (non ARP) out for resevations during prime time ie summer. Many people who don't like Wyndham seem to expect to be able to book a summer vacation 6 months out and I'm here to tell you that ain't happening. If you can't plan far in advance you won't be happy.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can't plan .. buy a fixed Summer Week. I own several of 2 fixed weeks near the beach in Florida... just pay your MFs and show up. And they trade in both II and RCI when I want to go elsewhere.

I have also seen Fixed Summer weeks at Wyndham Shawnee ... and 2 multiple week 52s.

Amazing .... points not needed for good vacations.

rayliang

Reaction score
how many points should I get for like a week summer vacation (say Hawaii or Orland) in a studio / 1BR, 1 week winter ski trip (if any are available), and 1 week offpeak time in Mexico?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
how many points should I get for like a week summer vacation (say Hawaii or Orland) in a studio / 1BR, 1 week winter ski trip (if any are available), and 1 week offpeak time in Mexico?

For off-peak time in Mexico, no need for points......CWA comes with RCI membership (You would already pay for that through your dues), and you can likely find something on RCI rentals really cheap.

rayliang

Reaction score
For off-peak time in Mexico, no need for points......CWA comes with RCI membership (You would already pay for that through your dues), and you can likely find something on RCI rentals really cheap.

Ty1on can you please elaborate? how do you mean by rent from RCI?