• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WWYD if the owner you rent from doesn't cash your check?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not a timeshare... but we rented a vacation home for Thanksgiving week. I paid a small deposit in advance and the balance two weeks before our trip. Well, the people have never cashed our check. I've emailed and texted the owner and she apologizes but still hasn't cashed it. Coincidentally, they live in our home town - just a few blocks away - but I don't feel like I can show up on their doorstep.

We'd like to rent the house again in the spring so I can't just let it go. Should I go ahead and stop payment on the check. I hate to incur the fees.

Deb

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why would you stop payment? You still want the rental? If so, just wait till they cash the check. As long as you have it written down in your register, if you keep one, or otherwise know that you have it outstanding then you will be fine.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We rented it for Thanksgiving 2015. We had a great time and would like to rent it again some time. It's been over two months and they haven't cashed our check. I imagine it is lost. Yes, I can just wait it out but it is a bit odd.

Deb

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How about if you offer to bring her cash, and pick up the check?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hired a painting company to paint my new home and it took them 4 months to cash the check. Legitimate business and I reminded them to cash the check after 2 months and the owner assured me that he would. He finally did, 4 months later. She may be just like that painting company.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
She last responded to me on 1/4:

"Oh so sorry I was traveling out of the country- I am pretty sure I deposited it! Let me double check in Orr account!"

I guess I'll just send her another note. :shrug:

Deb

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Oh, I thought it was for Thanksgiving 2016. It is odd that they haven't cashed the check. After six months many banks won't accept a check for deposit or cash.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So I just sent her another reminder and this is the response:

"I really think I already did deposit it already, I see a couple of larger deposits around that time though they were several checks so I can't see each one. I wouldn't have used the cabin that week anyway :)! So no worries!! "

I am absolutely sure the check never cleared my bank. I am at a loss.

Deb

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
She is happy and you are fine with no monetary loss. So enjoy!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you bank shows images of your checks online, you would be able to figure out if they cashed it. I would know if a check was cashed on my account, I know that.

I know it can be frustrating. If you opt to put a stop payment on the check, it only lasts six months, at least long enough so most banks won't accept the check.

I wish I was in a position to think I deposited a check that I really didn't.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am absolutely sure that the check never cleared my account. I guess I can't force her to take another payment. It just feels very odd. It makes me a little uncomfortable asking to rent it again this spring knowing we didn't really pay for the last time.

Deb

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
First of all, I'd verify with the bank that the check hasn't been deposited.

If it hasn't been deposited, ask your bank at what point you will be charged a fee, for a late deposit, and how much it is.

Then send her a friendly email and let her know that you will be canceling the check the day before the deadline, because after that, the bank will charge you a late fee.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stop worrying about it......

Frankly there are lots of important things to worry about in life.......(I'm a great worrier, so if you need some ideas of really serious stuff to worry over I can provide you a list).

BUT.....this is not something I would give another thought about. Move on, because they obviously have already done so. You have a couple of emails showing a good attempt.....now forget it.

Send your reservation request for 2016 and start planning your vacation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Frankly there are lots of important things to worry about in life.......(I'm a great worrier, so if you need some ideas of really serious stuff to worry over I can provide you a list).

BUT.....this is not something I would give another thought about. Move on, because they obviously have already done so. You have a couple of emails showing a good attempt.....now forget it.

Send your reservation request for 2016 and start planning your vacation.

The problem is, the OP writes it off and spends the money, then all of a sudden the owner finds the check and deposits it. The bank hits the OP with NSF and overdraft fees. I would probably keep the funds in the account for at least 6 months to cover this possibly happening. After that, write if off move on and rent again in the future. Hey, the OP may get another free rental. :D

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The problem is, the OP writes it off and spends the money, then all of a sudden the owner finds the check and deposits it. The bank hits the OP with NSF and overdraft fees. I would probably keep the funds in the account for at least 6 months to cover this possibly happening. After that, write if off move on and rent again in the future. Hey, the OP may get another free rental. :D

Right. It still feels like I'm in limbo. Well, as others have pointed out, there are worse problems.

Deb

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd cancel the check and send another with a note. Not that you should have to, but it shows integrity and might even get you a better deal on your future rental.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not just leave the extra funds in your account and wait until the cheque goes stale? The bank won't cash it after 6 months...

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
If u feel so badly about this; next time use Money Order or Cashiers check...I never use personal checks

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You've notified the payee. Just keep funds to cover the check- or have overdraft protection. If you liked her rental enough for a repeat, just go ahead and book it. No need to feel awkward.

Jim

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd cancel the check and send another with a note. Not that you should have to, but it shows integrity...

I like Elan's post. Make it clear that the check was never processed, and you would like to balance your books. Her nonchalance may mask embarrassment about confusion/loss of your check. This gives her a gracious out, you feel good that the debt is paid, and you can finally reconcile your checking account. Most likely, she'd probably love to rent to you again, too.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Elan's post. Make it clear that the check was never processed, and you would like to balance your books. Her nonchalance may mask embarrassment about confusion/loss of your check. This gives her a gracious out, you feel good that the debt is paid, and you can finally reconcile your checking account. Most likely, she'd probably love to rent to you again, too.

I'd do that, but I'd get a cashier's check instead. Then, it's a done deal no matter what she does with the check afterward.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would keep the money in the checking account and forget about it.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Back in the 70"s I worked with someone who would wait months before cashing his paychecks (this was before automated P/R check depositing), It would drive A/P nuts! Some people are like that!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My guess is she lost the check, and doesn't want to admit it. She obviously doesn't care enough about the loss of the money to want to change things, so here's my suggestion:

Stop payment on the check - even if you have to pay a fee, it's less than the rental cost you. Send the renter a note saying you've done so. If the renter finds the check, tell her you'll be happy to provide another payment to her. Done deal, and good chance you'll never have to do anything further.

In the same note, ask about renting the house again. This time, tell her you wish to pay by cashier's check, so you can keep your bank balance accurate. If the renter loses that check, it's totally on her, and you can move on.

In both cases, you'll have taken the high road, and can be of clear conscience. (It must be a nice house you're renting, if you want to go back after all this. ;)

Dave

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry ... you should NOT "stop payment" on the check YOU issued unless the landlord requests that in writing. If you stay in the unit without paying, the police/court would look on your issuing a STOP PAYMENT as evidence of "THEFT of Services" or fraud.... the same as if you game them a bad credit card.

Write a polite email to the LANDLORD and stating that in a prior phone conversation between A & B on Date of... that they acknowledge receiving the check. Then say YOU noticed your check to them has NOT CLEARED you bank account. And ask, do you need us to "stop payment and issue you all a new check?" If your bank charges you a FEE ... you can state you will be deducting the fee from the NEW CHECK ... or just be nice and ignore this additional cost you will be incurring.

But get it in writing. Know the window of time between issuing the STOP PAYMENT and when the check could have been deposited and funds taken from your account (don't want BOTH checks to be redeemed either).