• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WSJ - What to do with week #35?

katiestin

Reaction score
we just returned from Westin St John last saturday. We rented so we could take our kids and go the same time with friends. I called all year to change to the week we needed but no luck. My week is 35 and I've called to see if we can change dates to later in the year...they said nothing was available at all for WSJ. Should I bank the points or put it in interval? they told me that if I do the points thing I have to use them this year. they didn't mention a waitlist to me. Maybe I should call back..? although we cant afford to go back this year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
we just returned from Westin St John last saturday. We rented so we could take our kids and go the same time with friends. I called all year to change to the week we needed but no luck. My week is 35 and I've called to see if we can change dates to later in the year...they said nothing was available at all for WSJ. Should I bank the points or put it in interval? they told me that if I do the points thing I have to use them this year. they didn't mention a waitlist to me. Maybe I should call back..? although we cant afford to go back this year.

I would think that you could have rented out week 35 - but isn't that only 2-3 weeks away? :eek: I'm sure if you had started advertising when you decided you couldn't use it, you could have rented it and made a nice profit, but it's kind of late now. You could always throw it up on the TUG Last Minute Rental board for a few days and see if you have any takers, but the Max you can ask is $700, which won't even cover your MF, I'm sure.

It's too late to convert to Starpoints - that had to be done by Mar. 31st.

It's too late to deposit it with II as well - somebody like San Francisco Exchange Co. might accept a late deposit of this quality.

Starwood might accept it in the rental pool, but there are no guarantees there.

If you convert it to Staroptions, you would have to make an exchange somewhere in the Starwood system by the end of the year. If you can't go on another vacation you could use the Staroptions to exchange for a popular week and then rent it out.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's too late to deposit it with II as well - somebody like San Francisco Exchange Co. might accept a late deposit of this quality.

Its not too late to deposit the week in II. St John weeks are fixed, but can float within the season. Her season still has a bit to go.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Its not too late to deposit the week in II. St John weeks are fixed, but can float within the season. Her season still has a bit to go.

Acc. to the OP, she was told that nothing was available...

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Acc. to the OP, she was told that nothing was available...

Doesn't matter, both of my weeks were past thier check-in date. I asked if anything was available for the rest of the year and was told no. Then I asked to deposit my weeks and they did. Their reasoning was that sense my season was still in play, my weeks were "technically" still good.

katiestin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Denise, I knew from January that we probably couldn't use it this year due to the timeframe of colleges starting plus our friends wedding. I started last year around October trying to trade it to the week we needed but no luck. Then I placed it on Redweek and tried to place it here (I'm not sure what I did here but it never went through). I also have it on craigslist plus with a real estate company in SJ. I thought about going for the long labor day weekend but due to some unexpected medical bills we won't be able to go.

About the Star Options. You think this is the best thing for me? The representative told me that I could do this and if I didn't use them before the year is up then I could convert them to II. If I do this how do I use them with II? I'm not very experienced with timeshares (as you can tell from my posts) lol.

Thanks for your replys and help.

katiestin

Reaction score
by the way..when we were down for the wedding I overheard several people talking about trading into Westin St John. The representative told me that this rarely happens because its always booked solid. Again, when we were there the staff told us they were at 80% capacity. So if they are "booked solid 24/7 365 then how do people trade into WSJ?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
by the way..when we were down for the wedding I overheard several people talking about trading into Westin St John. The representative told me that this rarely happens because its always booked solid. Again, when we were there the staff told us they were at 80% capacity. So if they are "booked solid 24/7 365 then how do people trade into WSJ?

Staroption exchanges and private trades. We are trading with a friend for next June. We gave him Harborside, he gave us St John.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trades are rare, but you can get them. The new phase helped open up inventory, I'd imagine, as does high airfares.

But you need to be flexible with dates and persistent about calling. And, of course, you have to be prepared to go during low season.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Doesn't matter, both of my weeks were past thier check-in date. I asked if anything was available for the rest of the year and was told no. Then I asked to deposit my weeks and they did. Their reasoning was that sense my season was still in play, my weeks were "technically" still good.

So what did they end up depositing into II for you? WSJ or some other resort?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
About the Star Options. You think this is the best thing for me? The representative told me that I could do this and if I didn't use them before the year is up then I could convert them to II. If I do this how do I use them with II? I'm not very experienced with timeshares (as you can tell from my posts) lol.

Converting to Staroptions and depositing with II are two completely different options.

If you convert to Staroptions, you will have until the end of 2008 to make an SVN reservation for another Starwood timeshare. You could then use that exchange yourself or rent it out. You could not deposit it in II, because you can only deposit the week you own in II - but not an exchange.

If you deposit the week with II, you would call up Starwood owner services and tell them you want to deposit the week with II. Then you would have 2 years to make an exchange with II.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposited a studio week at WKORV on December 29 of the use year. Of course by then Starwood was only able to give me an SDO week in April but it was a 1BR. Thus I had two years from the April date to use it (16 months from my deposit date). I subsequently traded that 1BR SDO for a 2BR in Germany, in the Bavarian Alps. All in all I was happy with the results. The resort I got (I believe affiliated with Sunterra) was not WKORV quality, but then I got a 2BR for a studio so it was a fair deal.