• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WSJ-swimming?

sjdisney

Reaction score
Hello

I have read quite a few great posts about the Westin on St John.
I know there are several good beaches for snorkeling, but about the swimming at Cruz Bay?

Is it a nice beach for sunning and swimming or would you recommend day trips eslewhere?

Also, is it feasible to taxi to other beaches or is a rental recommended

thanks in advance

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
No bad beaches that I saw.The beach right at WSJ is great.Cruz bay is a very busy commercial area which makes the beach there somewhat less attractive.(still beautifull).Then they just get better.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
do you mean cruz bay or great cruz bay?
the bay outside of WSJ (great cruz) is fine for swimming because it is calm (and playing), but other than that... go to others on the northside

sjdisney

Reaction score
thanks for the info
so how far is the north side, generally speaking.

can you find taxis that will do this or do you then have to rent a car

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ Beach notes

Sometimes the beach at WSJ has a lot of sea grass or seaweed which makes it a bit of a turnoff for kids......The water is also not too clear.
You definitely want to get to the other beaches on North side--They are not walkable! Taxis are plentiful, but can be costly for a week's bopping around with a few people. We learned that lesson and just rent a car now. Looking forward to WSJ this June!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What is the biggest rental car/truck/van available?

You will have to search the various top rental car agencies on STJ for this one. Big vehicles are not condusive to STJ - especially for those not used to driving. We have 4 adults - and get a 5 seater Jeep Laredo - there is probably 1 size larger, but make sure you reserve way ahead of time. I do not see a lot of large rentals.

A STJ taxi is more like an open bus (normally) and will take on other passengers.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have to search the various top rental car agencies on STJ for this one. Big vehicles are not condusive to STJ - especially for those not used to driving. We have 4 adults - and get a 5 seater Jeep Laredo - there is probably 1 size larger, but make sure you reserve way ahead of time. I do not see a lot of large rentals.

A STJ taxi is more like an open bus (normally) and will take on other passengers.

After the Holidays and after we get back from Disney, I need to start working on plans for our June trip. We are going to have about 13 in our group heading to WSJ. Getting around is going to be problematic and expensive.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
After the Holidays and after we get back from Disney, I need to start working on plans for our June trip. We are going to have about 13 in our group heading to WSJ. Getting around is going to be problematic and expensive.

Wow - that will be like herding cats.

Not sure what to advise - perhaps cutting a deal with a taxi-bus driver?
Rent 2 very large passenger vehicles on STT and take the car ferry across?

We will be there from 6/5-6/19.

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent one of the open-air taxis for the week

I know one of the taxi companies, whose name escapes me, will rent out a taxi for the entire week, without the driver. As long as your group all wants to go to the same place at the same time, that will work. Truly, though, I doubt that's going to happen very often. It's often best when traveling with a group to St John that you rent one vehicle for each "family" or group of four adults. That way the late risers, early risers, beach people and shopping people can all be accomodated without too many people being forced to make concessions and having hurt feelings. It's also useful if some of the kiddies have had "enough" and some adults want more snorkel time.

A good way to stay in contact when driving is to make use of walkie-talkies which can be found relatively inexpensively (especially this time of year). That will help the newbies and anyone who needs reminding "Stay Left!!".

Also, if you haven't already, get "Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive" and photocopy pages for some of the adults in the group and try to give everyone an idea of what's on island. That way one person isn't forced to be "tour guide" all the time.

Just some suggestions,

Lori

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, if you haven't already, get "Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive" and photocopy pages for some of the adults in the group and try to give everyone an idea of what's on island. That way one person isn't forced to be "tour guide" all the time.

Too late, we have DavidnRobin's TR from last year!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent 2 very large passenger vehicles on STT and take the car ferry across?

I had originally thought about doing that, but there was some posts, about a month ago, that discouraged renting of vehicles on ST and taking the car ferry over to SJ.

We are there 6/12 - 6/19.....grill/pool party nightly at the hillside villa.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
we there at the same time last year - there was sea grass.

it is the shady brownish stuff - shown in your photo

not a big deal if you are prepared for it - feels weird, but harmless.
with kids who can wear googles - show it to them... just long grass

Westin's staff picks it out the water - or it would be very grassy.

btw - not there, but sea grass is where turtles hang out

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I had originally thought about doing that, but there was some posts, about a month ago, that discouraged renting of vehicles on ST and taking the car ferry over to SJ.

We are there 6/12 - 6/19.....grill/pool party nightly at the hillside villa.

It's doable to take the barge...but...
I would be very uncomfortable driving a taxi-bus or a large vehicle there w/o tons of experience (and I drive pretty well there - minus the prohibited screaming sometimes). I have even driven the road that drops down to Cinammon Bay, and take Grifft Hill to get to Centerline (I tried to avoid town)

B31/32 or B33/34 pool?