• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you buy this for trading?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A Sheraton PGA one bedroom platinum EOY beginning in 2010. Cost is $1 and all closing costs paid by the SELLER except for the $25 transfer fee so the total cost is $26. Obviously there isnt much downside but I'm curious as to how the trading will be using Starwood preference. Opinions please. Thanks.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance and taxes amount to about $700 per year of usage. Its doesnt appear to be a very cost effective unit being a 1 bedroom with those fees. However if I can get a one bedroom at Atlantis using Starwood preference at any time of year then that may change my thinking.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't purchase it for just trading. Again, only purchase somewhere that you would want to go to some of the time (at least 1/2). Otherwise if you want to get to many locations, guaranteed flexibility, find a points program with the places you may want visit.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Maintenance and taxes amount to about $700 per year of usage. Its doesnt appear to be a very cost effective unit being a 1 bedroom with those fees. However if I can get a one bedroom at Atlantis using Starwood preference at any time of year then that may change my thinking.

I wouldn't count on getting into Atlantis "any time of year" with any trade, esp an II one. Shoulder seasons are currently doable, but I wouldn't bank on snagging a summer or holiday week with an II trade. SVN is still the best bet for these, though even then it's a crapshoot for popular weeks.

If you can travel during shoulder season, then surely PGA is a more economical way to get into HRA than owning there.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think SDO is better for trading because the MF's are significantly lower:

SDO large 1 br $573.97

SDO small 1 br $487.76​

You might pay a little more upfront for SDO, but that will be eaten up quickly with the difference in MF. Other owners report that the small 1 bdm. trades just like the large 1 bdm.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm done purchasing for trading. If I buy another timeshare it will be either Marriott Grande Ocean or Marriott Ocean Watch platinum week. Then I just reserve, pack, and drive. :D

Charles

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
A Sheraton PGA one bedroom platinum EOY beginning in 2010. Cost is $1 and all closing costs paid by the SELLER except for the $25 transfer fee so the total cost is $26. Obviously there isnt much downside but I'm curious as to how the trading will be using Starwood preference. Opinions please. Thanks.

There is a significant difference in what you see using a PGA week versus a SBP/SDO week even with the Starwood preference. You will not see as much with the PGA - at this time SBP has the lower MFs as well as being a better trader.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on getting into Atlantis "any time of year" with any trade, esp an II one. Shoulder seasons are currently doable, but I wouldn't bank on snagging a summer or holiday week with an II trade. SVN is still the best bet for these, though even then it's a crapshoot for popular weeks.

If you can travel during shoulder season, then surely PGA is a more economical way to get into HRA than owning there.

I meant any time of year as in I will take any week I can get. I didnt mean to sound like I was asking if I could get Atlantis any week I want.:D

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much did you spend? I'm negotiating one right now.

I got it on EBAY a little over a month ago for $1551. Since then I believe one sold on EBAY for less than that.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Done Trading

I'm done purchasing for trading. If I buy another timeshare it will be either Marriott Grande Ocean or Marriott Ocean Watch platinum week. Then I just reserve, pack, and drive. :D

Charles

I think lots of folks are thinking the same way you are....

We are with our Resort on Cocoa Beach and Myrtle Beach Club Regency.

Reserve, pack, and drive.

pghjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDO

Why would you get the 1br instead of the 2br lockout?

Is there better trading with a 1br than a 2br?

Couldn't you rent out both the 1br and lockout for a better trade?

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got it on EBAY a little over a month ago for $1551. Since then I believe one sold on EBAY for less than that.

There have been two annuals and one bi-enniel that have sold for less. I wouldn't count the bi-enniel because if doubled, it comes out to more than what you paid.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why would you get the 1br instead of the 2br lockout?

1) It cost lesss & has lower MF.
2) You only travel as a couple and don't need a 2 bdm.
3) You are going to use it to trade with II online, and you know that you can often trade into a 2 bdm. with a 1 bdm., doing an online exchange.

Is there better trading with a 1br than a 2br?

If you always need to exchange into a 2 bdm., then you should buy a 2 bdm., because to put in an on-going request with II for a 2 bdm., you must deposit a 2 bdm.

Couldn't you rent out both the 1br and lockout for a better trade?

Renting and trading are two entirely different things. Depositing a 2 bdm. with II won't necessarily get you a better quality resort, but it will give you more opportunity to exchange into a 2 bdm.

For lots of info. about how Starwood works, read the FAQ at the top of the page and the Starwood and II article in Owner Resources, also at the top of the page.

Last edited: