• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you book a flight for December?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an exchange for Ko Olina in December so I have been looking for flights for the 4 of us. The best option (companion voucher and some airline credits) is to fly with Westjet. Of course I was not going to book flights so much in advance not knowing what the situation will be in December but I have noticed several major changes:

- the cost per person (with the companion vouchers but before applying the airline credits we have) is now about 490 CAD pp (about 345 USD) return from Eastern Canada to Oahu, a phenomenal price. With the credits we would only pay 282 CAD pp!

- the airline is allowing free changes and cancellations for any flight booked before April 15th. They do not refund the money if you cancel but you have a 2 year credit from the moment you cancel to use for future flights

- there is not longer a cost to book "normal" seats and in addition to that they only sell 50% of the seats like in the picture so you will not be very close to other people. Basically the four of us will have 4 rows, the kids can (hopefully) sleep in the plane.

1586004450721.png

Would you book? My main concern is the company will not be able to operate at 50% capacity for a long time and if it goes belly up I may just lose the money I pay for the thickets. I am less concerned about the resort not being open in December.

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I wouldn’t book any travel plans until there is more clarity as to when and how this pandemic will ease and businesses come back to full operations. We’ve all dealt with enough issues of cancellations of current travel plans, often in not such a positive way. I’d wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I'm more of an optimist. Got about a 40% discount on a flight to KW for October. Booked it. My thought is if it (resort, KW or boarder) is not open, then no flights...then refund or rescheduling. Just as the airlines are doing now.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm more of an optimist. Got about a 40% discount on a flight to KW for October. Booked it. My thought is if it (resort, KW or boarder) is not open, then no flights...then refund or rescheduling. Just as the airlines are doing now.
One of the problems is that Westjet is a Canadian private company. I am not sure how much the government is going to help it to survive. I hope they will not differentiate much between Air Canada and the rest of the carriers.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have reservations at Hanalei Bay on Kauai for the 1st 2 weeks of January. I have been watching tickets but haven't bitten yet because I am afraid of the airlines going bankrupt. If it is an major carrier you will probably be ok but who knows what will happen with the smaller ones

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wrote to a friend who works for another carrier, I will see what he says.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm optimistic too as I booked for mid Sept ane do have plans for Dec. I'd be careful with the selected airlinevmeaning a bigger company that can survive this.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
If Westjet folds, you'll lose the credits you now have anyway, so you're only risking 1128CAD. And can't you find insurance that covers carrier bankruptcy?

I don't know if we're near the virus peak, and therefore the air price low. I might wait 3 or 4 weeks, the price may get lower!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I would not book a new flight now. Things will probably still be bad in the Fall and Winter. You can probably still get good deals in the future. The risk now is what if the company goes out of business? Or maybe companies will not be as generous with refunds in the future. I would rather risk paying a little more in the future than losing it all now or worrying about the uncertainty. But I doubt you will lose anything by waiting.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Westjet folds, you'll lose the credits you now have anyway, so you're only risking 1128CAD. And can't you find insurance that covers carrier bankruptcy?

I don't know if we're near the virus peak, and therefore the air price low. I might wait 3 or 4 weeks, the price may get lower!
you are right about that, I am only risking the amount of cash I am spending, not the credits that would vanish anyway.

I am not sure how I feel about the prices getting much lower than that. They may, but because of the companion vouchers we only benefit about 50% of any decrease. Also, the oil is very low and may become even lower. But if it goes higher that may play a role as well.

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you pay with a credit card and the airline goes bankrupt and ceases operations, you can dispute the charge and you should be able to get a refund from your credit card company.

Thunder up

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you pay with a credit card and the airline goes bankrupt and ceases operations, you can dispute the charge and you should be able to get a refund from your credit card company.

That could only work if you are within the period of time you have to file a dispute.
It's not unlimited. I'd dispute a charge from last October, but it's way past time.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thunder up
I think I will call the credit card company to see if they cover bankruptcy. I do not remember to have seen that for any of my cards but maybe I never noticed it since I never considered it a risk at the time.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would purchase the tickets. That price is ridiculous. I would guess that you would get a refund or credit if there are still travel bans