• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wooden cutting board in dishwasher?

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is several pieces of wood glued together (instead of one piece of wood) , don't do it.

We did it, even though there was a sticker on the cutting board not to, and it came apart.

It was not easy gluing it back together, because it warped.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, you can't wash wood in the dishwasher.

If you want to freshen up the board, get it wet, put a bunch of salt on it then take half a lemon and use it like a sponge. Scrub away! This takes care of any odors too.

Janna

coyote

TUG Member
Reaction score
I throw mine in the dishwasher all the time. Never had a problem with it coming apart or warping. Mine is a solid piece of wood that is shaped like a paddle.

Charlotte

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I threw mine in the dishwasher all the time too. Now, I have several small cutting boards. :D

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Carburetor.

1 time I ran a carburetor body through the dishwasher, before installing a rebuild kit -- rebuild kit in the carburetor, I mean, not in the dishwasher.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The Chief Of Staff was not home at the time.

I didn't tell her about it, either.

I'm not sure, but I think I got away with it.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the salt and lemon routine. If it's gouged deeply from cutting on it, sand it down and re-season with mineral oil. Don't put in the dishwasher if it's laminated- it won't be afterward. It would be iffy even if a well sealed solid plank. We put olivewood utensils in the dishwasher, and re-oil them from time to time. I can't see their life is shortened.

I heard on NPR that you can put your computer keyboard in the dishwasher, just not attached to the laptop. :)

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I wash mine with bleach and rinse in hot water.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dishwashers destroy anything made of wood. Wood does not tolerate extremes of moisture and heat, which is what occurs in a dishwasher.

With a cutting board, the dishwasher will break down the cell structure of the wood, allowing dirt and grease to penetrate more deeply into the wood. Which creates a great environment for bacteria to colonize deeper into the cutting board - not sanitary at all.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite cutting board is one my Dad (the cook in our family) was using at least 40 years ago - I use it daily (but never for raw meat or fish) and every week or so I soak it in the sink with some bleach for around 10-15 minutes.

If it's made from multiple pieces of wood glued together (just look at the grain), the dishwasher will kill it, as will soaking it for too long.

If yours is icky, first scrub it - lemon and salt, or baking soda, or a scrubby ball, even steel wool is ok to get it back in shape (though I wouldn't use it regularly), or you could sand it.

Then disinfect it occasionally with the water/bleach routine, or spray with a product made for sanitizing food surfaces.

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine are solid wood, and I have been washing them in the dishwasher each time I use them for years, and they are fine. To me, it's the only way to make sure all the germs are out of the little crevices the knives have made and to get rid of any stains on them also. If it wasn't for all the knife marks, mine would look brand new still.

I would not put the "layered" wooden ones in, they will definately warp and fall apart.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I forgot to mention that I don't use it as a cutting board, but rather as a hot pad for hot dishes on the table. I can't explain all the gunk on it.

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
I threw mine in the dishwasher all the time too. Now, I have several small cutting boards. :D

Me too it warped eventually, then I bought a few small glass, a large glass one to set on the counter. Its amazing how much these are used. We just throw them in the dw.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well then Karen. Not much of a problem then. Use steelwool, or fine sandpaper, sand off the crud, and voila, a clean hot pad.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not exactly on topic, but I use an adjustable metal cradle for most of my casseroles. For the rest of the hot stuff, I put a pot holder under them at the table. A very low tech idea, but it works. Besides keeping the heat from the table it keeps the dish/pot from slipping around.

Fern

I guess I forgot to mention that I don't use it as a cutting board, but rather as a hot pad for hot dishes on the table. I can't explain all the gunk on it.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 time I ran a carburetor body through the dishwasher, before installing a rebuild kit -- rebuild kit in the carburetor, I mean, not in the dishwasher.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The Chief Of Staff was not home at the time.

I didn't tell her about it, either.

I'm not sure, but I think I got away with it.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

What's my silence worth to you, Alan? : }

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen, I've put some not-dishwasher-safe items in the dishwasher. But I put them on the top rack and then run JUST the rinse-and-hold cycle (six minutes) with nothing else in the washer and no soap in the dispenser.

Then I immediately remove the item and either let it dry in the sun (I did this with a wicker basket that was dusty) or scrub it down using a clean, new Scotch-Brite pad (I did this with a wooden cutting board). The heat of the washer water softened the top of the board a bit so the scrubbie took off all the gunk. Don't try this with a really good board that you don't want to lose and I don't know if I'd try it with a glued butcher-block type board, either. Mine is not glued. Good luck!

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine goes in regularly too...so far so good.

Connie

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a very nice butcher block cutting board that is rarely used. The knife cuts are a huge breeding ground for bacteria and vermits. I doubt very seriously the custom spray with an aqueous chlorine bleach solution would be a cure.