• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Won timeshare week at charity event- need help

tcdamsel

Reaction score
I bid on and won what I thought was a week at El. Dorado Royal in Mexico in a all-inclusive suite for a week valued at $3500. This was a charity event to raise money for my son's private school.

When it came time to book it I received a letter from Exotic Travelers/Friends in Paradise saying in very confusing language that I had to pay 1200 for the room and agree to attend the presentation and if I didn't I would be charged the full rate whatever that is.

The woman who donated the week says she is the owner, but has not gotten back to me about what I actually owe, what I'm signing and what I'm getting. This all sound so suspicious. What are all inclusive fees? I thought all inclusive meant just that - the price includes everything (within reason).

Can anyone tell me what is going on?
Thanks!:ponder:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is no "prize" - basically you got a timeshare preview pkg.

Was it fully disclosed to you upfront that you would have to pay $1,200?

If it were me, I'd contact the auction organizer and let them know that this is NOT what you bid on.

Mexican timeshare are cheap and easy rentals - you can get one with no all inclusive fees for far less then $1,200 a week.

I definitely would NOT go through with this!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be that the owner just didn't (or didn't know to) get a guest cert so the 'winner' will get the owner's price for AI. Still, it doesn't seem like much of a prize if it really IS just a sales come-on.

Friends in Paradise seems to be the sales arm. Here's a link: http://www.exotictravelers.com/fip_how.aspx

Be cautious with this. It smells like a scam.

Jim Ricks

P.S. Glad you found TUG before just blindly taking this 'vacation.' Welcome!

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be a sneaky way to try to get referral points. Underhanded if you ask me. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

Rascalsmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
AI fees are per day, per-person fees to cover your food and drinks while at the resort. With lots of the AI resorts you exchange to cover your room, but then have to pay extra to cover everything else. In my opinion, it's a rip-off.

My first TS purchase was at a Mexican time share. I can claim my week for "only" $200, but then additionally have to pay $100 per person/per day to actually stay there and enjoy their mediocre food and drinks.

Miraculously, I have no annual MF with this contract, so I am only out the purchase price. Which still hurts, by the way, since I could have bought a nice Marriott or Hyatt for the same amount.

Then I found TUG....