• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKV Purchase Advice

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently there's a really great buy on a WKV 2 bdrm gold 81k unit EOY (around $5000). As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, my fundamental interest is WKORV, however the fees are driving me away, and as advised by many others, Im looking for a unit that I can trade in to Maui with.

My questions are 3 fold:

1. Can I use this 2 bdrm WKV to trade back in to a 1 bdrm plat WKV unit (early Jan) during the 8 mth exchange period, or is there something that will prohibit me from doing so?

2. My ideal travel time are week 48-50, and weeks 1-8. Typically how difficult are these weeks to trade into WKORV or WKORVN? Will it get more difficult over time as the economy picks up? I think that Ill probably visit Maui every 4 years or so. I have some apprehension about the idea of buying WKV (a resort that I won't really use), instead of the resort that I know I will go to. How difficult is it to exchange in to Hawaii during the timeframes mentioned above?

3. How will a gold WKV 2 bdrm fare on II?

Thanks again for your help, you guys have saved me alot of $$$ and heartache already.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Currently there's a really great buy on a WKV 2 bdrm gold 81k unit EOY (around $5000). As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, my fundamental interest is WKORV, however the fees are driving me away, and as advised by many others, Im looking for a unit that I can trade in to Maui with.

My questions are 3 fold:

1. Can I use this 2 bdrm WKV to trade back in to a 1 bdrm plat WKV unit (early Jan) during the 8 mth exchange period, or is there something that will prohibit me from doing so?

There is nothing preventing it, but it will be a Staroption exchange, with no owner's priority. I think it's doable.

2. My ideal travel time are week 48-50, and weeks 1-8. Typically how difficult are these weeks to trade into WKORV or WKORVN? Will it get more difficult over time as the economy picks up? I think that Ill probably visit Maui every 4 years or so. I have some apprehension about the idea of buying WKV (a resort that I won't really use), instead of the resort that I know I will go to. How difficult is it to exchange in to Hawaii during the timeframes mentioned above?

48-50 are usually pretty slow. Weeks 1-8 are more popular - especially around Presidents Day. I don't think it will get much more difficult, now that Starwood has 3 resorts in Hawaii and plans to build more, eventually. The main drawback is that you won't have any priority for view - which is huge for me.

3. How will a gold WKV 2 bdrm fare on II?

It should trade well, but in my opinion it is too expensive for a II Trader. Since you don't want to go to Hawaii every year, I'd buy an EOY at WKV for a Starwood trader, and a cheap EOY voluntary resort like SDO or SBP for a II trader and save 50% or more on the upfront cost and MF.

Last edited:

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. That's very helpful.

I would be buying this EOY as a Starwood trader, but it's an interesting idea to purchase an EOY voluntary as well for II. Is SDO the best option or do you guys have other recommendations?

Also, does $4600 closing incl for the EOY 2 bdrm gold WKV seem like a hot deal, or in your opinion is it worth waiting until new year inventory comes up?

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If I had to purchase a voluntary resort, I'd chose WMH. Never been there, but it looks like a lovely resort. But that's me.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
If I were you I would not buy at WKORV to go 1x every 4 years just too much money for that with high MFs.

I would rent from a owner. MFs are 1700 per year that leaves you with 4x1700 = $6800 to rent and you can rent a 2 bedroom for $3500.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If I were you I would not buy at WKORV to go 1x every 4 years just too much money for that with high MFs.

Jack - she's talking about buying WKV = Westin Kierland Villas. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I had to purchase a voluntary resort, I'd chose WMH. Never been there, but it looks like a lovely resort. But that's me.

But the MF is quite a bit higher at WMH, so if it's just for trading with II, it's not the best deal:

2008 MF's

2 bdm. L/O WMH - $1,298.74

2 bdm. L/O SPB - $849

2 bdm. L/O SDO - $794.24

I would actually buy a larger 1 bdm. EOY to trade, instead of a 2 bdm., but I don't have the MF's for the 1 bdm. at all 3 resorts so I am using the 2 bdm. for MF comparison.

The MF on my larger 1 bdm. EOY at SDO was $293.02 last year.

To look at II/Starwood trade availability look at the Sightings Board and scroll back through the Starwood sightings, or use the search feature on the board and search for the resorts by name.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the price difference between the manditory and the voluntary units. Unbelievable.

SDO annual 1 bdrms for $500?....and to clarify, these trade as well as WKV on II?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just looking at the price difference between the manditory and the voluntary units. Unbelievable.

SDO annual 1 bdrms for $500?....and to clarify, these trade as well as WKV on II?

Yes - on II there is no difference between mandatory and voluntary resorts.

To actually see which Starwood resorts other owners can "pull" on II with various resorts, see the posts on the Sightings Board below the Lounge.

Last edited:

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, SDO should give me strong trading power on II, to trade into WKORV?...as strong as the WKV 2 bdrm gold unit? Is there another voluntary that I should consider w stronger trade value w low mf?

Can you recommend what I should be looking for in an SDO purchase to maximize it's trading potential?

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
SDO trades very well. I frequently see WKORV with my one bedroom SDO (although not summer or holiday weeks). That said, it is not a guarantee and it takes considerable diligence.

Sheraton Broadway Plantation (SBP) does the same, but only buy platinum season and reserve a summer week (rather than a shoulder week; at SBP, platinum = weeks 9-43).

In this market, you can get a one bedroom at either SDO or SBP for well under $1,000; a two bedroom will cost $2,000 - $2,500. If you miss one on eBay, just be patient; there will be another, and another, and another . . . .

StarOptions exchanges are easier than Interval exchanges; all you need to do is call Starwood eight months in advance. But as you are learning, convenience and a higher level of certainty come with a price.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually really like Denise's advice of buying both the WKV EOY and SDO 1 bdrm EYO.

Seems like that would be a good balance of flexibility at a decent price.

Are there plat SDo units? All of the resales Ive seen seem to be week 1-53.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to confirm, SDO should give me strong trading power on II, to trade into WKORV?...as strong as the WKV 2 bdrm gold unit? Is there another voluntary that I should consider w stronger trade value w low mf?

Can you recommend what I should be looking for in an SDO purchase to maximize it's trading potential?

I would buy a larger one bdm. It's trading potential depends a lot on the week that's deposited - March and Easter are the strongest deposits.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score

Here are links to real-live II test trade data comparing the trading power of a generic WKV (gold) week with a generic SDO (1-52 week platinum) week:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66327

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521963&postcount=9

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64483

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68657

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76872

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65877

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55697

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69340

In general, I think it is fair to say that both WKV (gold) and SDO (week 1-52 floater) have extremely high trading power with II. But WKV's trading power is slightly higher since it appears to be able to pull some things that can't be seen with an SDO unit.

Is that slightly higher trading power worth spending the extra money for a WKV over SDO? Probably not. But like everything having to do with timeshares, things can change at any moment and you could be left with only what you bought. So buy where you would be willing to go and during a season in which you would be willing to travel should everything (II, trading power, StarOptions, etc.) shut-down tomorrow.

Good Luck,
-nodge

Oh yeah, if you are on your toes and know that the legal name for WKV is the "Scottsdale Sonoran Villas", you can also sometimes find a large one bedroom EOY Gold WKV (worth 44,000 StarOptions EOY, which is just enough to occassionally supplement an existing 162,000 StarOption account to reach the new 196,900 StarOption requirement for a 3 BR at WSJ or the Sheraton Steamboat during peak seasons) for $525 (plus closing costs) on e-bay.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's definitely a concern, as I would never end up using SDO for vacation....WKV possibly, but not SDO.

I could be potentially be stuck with a useless TS in 20 years.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
As is, Scottsdale, wouldn't really be my choice destination. I'd be buying the SDO for II trade.

If I did do an Arizone trip, Id be more likely to use WKV as it seems newer, and a little more luxurious.