• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKV Gold + Question

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owning in AZ at the Westin Kierland a Gold Plus (22-27, 36-49) a 1bd premium (larger room).
Since this is not platnum - depending on total cost of the TS - will the trading power totally stink?

This would come with StarOptions 44,000- not too sure exactly what that will do.
And it looks like demand is average weeks 40-47 otherwise below average.

So my thinking is not a good value -even at a low cost.

But thought I'd check with my fellow TUGERS!
Gobble Gobble to ALL!

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Owning in AZ at the Westin Kierland a Gold Plus (22-27, 36-49) a 1bd premium (larger room).
Since this is not platnum - depending on total cost of the TS - will the trading power totally stink?

Since this is mandatory resort, Starwood will control what gets deposited, making it hard to predict trade power. You would be able to take advantage of the 3-day Starwood preference in Interval.

This would come with StarOptions 44,000- not too sure exactly what that will do.
And it looks like demand is average weeks 40-47 otherwise below average.

Here is the staroption chart from the Starwood owner resources sticky:

http://www.tug2.net/advice/svn_valuechart.pdf

You will not be able to do staroptions trades into peak resorts in peak seasons. This might be ok if you're ok with off-season trips.

So my thinking is not a good value -even at a low cost.

What is your goal with this purchase? If buying to trade within SVN, I'd buy platinum. If buying to trade in Interval, you don't need a mandatory resort, so I'd look at another SDO unit. If buying to stay at WKV in the gold season, then this might be a reasonable buy.

Glorian

Last edited:

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm actually having the same dilemma, except Im looking at a 2 bdrm gold season unit, with an 81000 Starpoint allotment.

How would this fare for exchanges with SVN vs II? Will I still run into the same seasonal blocks on exchanges and trades as outlined above, or would the 81000 get me a 1 bdrm almost anytime (xmas holidays out)?

Alternatively, for similar money, I can buy a 1 bdrm WKORV.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm actually having the same dilemma, except Im looking at a 2 bdrm gold season unit, with an 81000 Starpoint allotment.

How would this fare for exchanges with SVN vs II? Will I still run into the same seasonal blocks on exchanges and trades as outlined above, or would the 81000 get me a 1 bdrm almost anytime (xmas holidays out)?

Alternatively, for similar money, I can buy a 1 bdrm WKORV.

You mean Staroptions, right?

There are no seasonal blocks with an SVN exchange (except Christmas/premium weeks of course) - all exchanges are based on the number of Staroptions that your unit is worth. If you look at the link posted above, you can see exactly how many Staroptions are required for every unit in the SVN. 81K Staroptions will get you at least a 1 bdm. in all seasons in all resorts, except some weeks like Christmas, that only owners can reserve.

I would not buy WKORV for an exchanger - the MF are too high and they are rising 10% per year on the Avg.

Last edited:

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
o.k. thanks - so even if I bought a premium wkv then since they pick the week trade power may be week. So it would make no sense to buy unless you were going to use the staroptions or use the 3 day II preference.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you just want a II trader, you don't need Staroptions. You can pick up a II trader like SDO or SBP on ebay for less than $500.

If you want a Staroptions trader - WKV gives you the most bang for your buck when you look at the ratio of Staroptions to maintenance fee.

Here are the Mandatory resorts - Maintenance fees and Staroptions It's posted in Owner Resources under "Buying" if you ever need it again.

Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you just want a II trader, you don't need Staroptions. You can pick up a II trader like SDO or SBP on ebay for less than $500.

If you want a Staroptions trader - WKV gives you the most bang for your buck when you look at the ratio of Staroptions to maintenance fee.

Here are the Mandatory resorts - Maintenance fees and Staroptions It's posted in Owner Resources under "Buying" if you ever need it again.

Denise,

The link doesn't seem to work either here or when I go to the owner resources page.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
From what I understand here is that if you want to use II, then buy a Starwood Voluntary resort - one that is cheap and low MFs. You will not be able to use SVN.

Resale WKV is a great value (esp within SVN), but consider Platinum season.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise,

The link doesn't seem to work either here or when I go to the owner resources page.

Hmmmm...it's working for me - anyone else who can't access it?

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Not Working!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How weird - it still works for me.

Here is the info. - I'll try to fix the link.

Maintenance fees for standard 2 bdm. M resorts from the Developer Prices in Owner Resources (2009?):

Harborside Atlantis $2,433 - Staroptions - 148,100

WKORV-N $1,768 - Staroptions - 148,100

WSJ $1,631 - Staroptions - 148,100

SVV: Bella $1,232 Key West $1,321 - Staroptions - 95,700

Not in current sales so amount from 2008 MF thread in Owner Resources:

WKORV: $1,599 - Staroptions - 148,100

WKV: $1,207 - Staroptions - 148,100