• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORN - pushy concierge

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always been politely asked to attend an owner update, and always politely decline. This year, however, the concierge kept pushing an pushing. She was really pushing because "the Sheraton on Kauai is happening."

I had to walk away. I felt rude, but only for a minute.

Not sure if it was just the gal I spoke with or if they are being told to be more direct.

sgtdesi

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we checked in a few weeks ago they were not really taking our hints about we don't know when we are available, we are going to be really busy, etc. etc. The guy actually just said, let me schedule you a time and you can change it later. We ended up canceling the presentation the night before.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't even bother to stop anymore at the concierge desk to receive our "owners gifts." It just leads to needless stress. I have all the grocery/beach bags I will ever need. Actually the concierge people are usually very nice. It's what comes next when you go to the update that really gets my blood boiling. We have had some dreadful experiences and will never again attend an owners update. All the updates I need can be found right here on TUG.

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this time use the state of uncertainty to your advantage which I did in Cancun. I had a fabulous update in Cancun.
Since Starwood separated the divisions and sold them --- no-one knows what will happen until the sale is closed what will happen. Even Marriot or Interval do not. It is in flux.

I always tell them upfront that I am not interested in buying---however be respectful an owner update is a two way agreement --they update you about Starwood and they PAY YOU MONEY to allow them a chance to sell you. To complain that they tried to sell you in an update is innapropriate--to complain they were abusive or used hard sell is appropriate as it shows a lack of regard for you during the sale.

At Maui when we check in my wife picks up owners gift and tells them we are not interested in an owner update but would like her gift

They have always been very respectful

Scott

pacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't even bother to stop anymore at the concierge desk to receive our "owners gifts." It just leads to needless stress. I have all the grocery/beach bags I will ever need. Actually the concierge people are usually very nice. It's what comes next when you go to the update that really gets my blood boiling. We have had some dreadful experiences and will never again attend an owners update. All the updates I need can be found right here on TUG.

Exactly what we do. Never bother even stopping by anymore. Just like you said, we don't need any more beach bags, and we know the islands well enough to make our own decisions.

pacman

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My 21-year old daughter and 2 of her friends just stayed at SVV for a week. After they arrived, I got several frantic texts from her telling me that she kept getting calls from someone asking to speak to her parents. We weren't there, but I'd told her not to reveal to people that 3 young girls were staying in a room by themselves (for their personal safety) so she kept telling the caller that her parents weren't available at that moment.

I texted her to just ignore future calls, but when they let it just ring, they started calling each of the four phones in the unit in progression until someone finally answered. She said that they called at least a dozen times that first night. When she answered, they also told her that they had a packet with discount coupons and freebies waiting at the front desk, which piqued their interest.

Even though I told her that it was all a lure to get them to sign up for a timeshare presentation, they still decided to walk to the front desk to get their free stuff. When the staff realized that it was a bunch of poor college students, and her parents weren't there, they handed them a map that they could pick up anywhere. No discounts, no freebies. And from that point on, the staff went from being overly friendly to being dismissive. For instance, my daughter called the "Ticket and Transportation Desk" to get tickets to the Magic Kingdom, she was told to "use the internet that's free in your room."

Here is what it says on their website:
"We can arrange tickets and transportation to top amusement parks, which eliminates long lines and waiting. Among the offerings are tickets for:

Walt Disney World® Resort
Magic Kingdom® Park
Epcot®
Disney-MGM Studios
Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
Sea World® Orlando
Universal Studios Florida®
Universal Studios Islands of Adventure®"

They sent me a survey, so they'll be hearing from me.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
At this time use the state of uncertainty to your advantage which I did in Cancun. I had a fabulous update in Cancun.
Since Starwood separated the divisions and sold them --- no-one knows what will happen until the sale is closed what will happen. Even Marriot or Interval do not. It is in flux.

I always tell them upfront that I am not interested in buying---however be respectful an owner update is a two way agreement --they update you about Starwood and they PAY YOU MONEY to allow them a chance to sell you. To complain that they tried to sell you in an update is innapropriate--to complain they were abusive or used hard sell is appropriate as it shows a lack of regard for you during the sale.

At Maui when we check in my wife picks up owners gift and tells them we are not interested in an owner update but would like her gift

They have always been very respectful

Scott

Just points of interest. I personally have been to several "updates" that were very uncomfortable. Personally if someone has a bad experience in an update I want to be aware, that's not complaining its sharing their experience.
If it's mutual agreement to sell a timeshare why is it called an update? Seems a little disingenuous to me. I use to be believe they were updates until I learned better.
What are they getting in return when you pick up the free " gift" that is intended to lure you to set an "update"
That being said I have had on occasion had an update that was informative and congenial.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a self-admitted sucker for a free bag. I have more than I need, but always can use just one more...

I have never attended an owner update. I also have always been asked and politely send no and that was the end of the story. Not this time.

I was wondering why she was pushing Kauai so much when they are building a brand new resort right next door.

paluamalia

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
On Tickets at the SVV resort....we are here now, the Ticket desk is very busy and has been for the last week, and I believe they charge a fee, I overheard them telling someone that there was a $10.00 charge. The "free gift" (shouldn't all gifts be free?, if it's not free, is it a gift?) was a laser light saber, which we declined but they only offered it after we made our appointment.
I've found all the folks here very friendly and helpful, they are after all trying to make a living during a very busy time with many demands. Being straight forward with them from the beginning might have helped, if the young women are old enough to come to a hotel by themselves, they are old enough to admit that mommy and daddy are not there.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am a self-admitted sucker for a free bag.

I preferred it when they offered hats at WKORV.

When I was at WKORV recently the "concierge" also pushed hard for a meeting until I said I "save tens of thousands by buying resale" to which she acted surprised that was even possible, and I left. I just won't do those sales meetings any longer since I don't learn anything, and it's a complete waste of time for all involved.

Sent from my iPad

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Being straight forward with them from the beginning might have helped, if the young women are old enough to come to a hotel by themselves, they are old enough to admit that mommy and daddy are not there.

#1 - Her name was on the reservation and she is of legal age. She also had a valid credit card in her name.

#2 - She was under zero obligation to divulge to ANYONE that she was traveling without her parents, whether it's a taxi driver, a maintenance man (who BTW had to be called to put a new battery in their safe), or the check-in clerk. It's not a condition of staying there.

#3 - The reason I advised her not to tell people that she was traveling with 2 other young girls had to do with her personal SAFETY. I'm certainly old enough to travel without my mommy and daddy, but I never "admit" to strangers that I'm alone. It's none of anyone's business.

#4 - A salesman calling ANYONE a dozen times in one evening is obnoxious. Progressively calling one phone, then another, then another, and then another is borderline harassment. She certainly felt harassed.

#5 - Answering your phone is not a condition of staying there. I NEVER answer the phone when I stay in my timeshare villa. If a guest doesn't answer on the first ring, the proper response is to leave a message. It's not appropriate to call again and again and again. Had I actually been there, I would have eventually answered, but they'd have heard a mouthful from me.

#5 - Their SOLE purpose in calling again and again and again was to lure a paid guest into attending a timeshare pitch. They do this under the guise of giving away free tickets. And they don't call it a "timeshare pitch," they call it an "owner's update." So who should be admonished for not being "straight-forward" here?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
#1 - Her name was on the reservation and she is of legal age. She also had a valid credit card in her name.

#2 - She was under zero obligation to divulge to ANYONE that she was traveling without her parents, whether it's a taxi driver, a maintenance man (who BTW had to be called to put a new battery in their safe), or the check-in clerk. It's not a condition of staying there.

#3 - The reason I advised her not to tell people that she was traveling with 2 other young girls had to do with her personal SAFETY. I'm certainly old enough to travel without my mommy and daddy, but I never "admit" to strangers that I'm alone. It's none of anyone's business.

#4 - A salesman calling ANYONE a dozen times in one evening is obnoxious. Progressively calling one phone, then another, then another, and then another is borderline harassment. She certainly felt harassed.

#5 - Answering your phone is not a condition of staying there. I NEVER answer the phone when I stay in my timeshare villa. If a guest doesn't answer on the first ring, the proper response is to leave a message. It's not appropriate to call again and again and again. Had I actually been there, I would have eventually answered, but they'd have heard a mouthful from me.

#5 - Their SOLE purpose in calling again and again and again was to lure a paid guest into attending a timeshare pitch. They do this under the guise of giving away free tickets. And they don't call it a "timeshare pitch," they call it an "owner's update." So who should be admonished for not being "straight-forward" here?
I think the point of the post you are responding to so forcefully was NOT to say that the girls had an obligation to disclose that information, but simply that doing so would likely have largely eliminated the repetitive calling and pressure. I agree with paluamalia on this one.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I thought by now, that everyone on TUG unplugged their phone upon arriving in their unit.

You have a cell phone - there is zero reason to leave the phones in the unit plugged in.

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just tell them upfront - easy. Not sure why this is an issue.
"Hello. Hope you are doing well. Yes, it is beautiful here - enjoying our stay so far. No, I am not interested (fill in blank), Do me a favor and please do not call the villa unless emergency. Thanks. Have a great day."

Unplug your villa phone? I would not like to miss mass messages left in regards to resort updates (like no water... Storm alerts... loss of electricity... resort activities... Etc) all of these have occurred to us (more than once) during our stays. Many instances of info (more than listed) that would be great to know ahead of time. IMO

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
At many resorts, just telling them will not do the trick. They will continue to call and and try different ploys to rope you in, as long as you are at the resort.

*I have never received a mass message from any resort, except for messages which were just invitations for a variety of owner's meetings that I didn't want to attend. I'll continue to unplug the phone and enjoy the peace and quiet. ;)

*BTW - the rudest, most insulting, most high pressure "owner's update," we ever did was as the Westin. We will never do another Westin update.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have never experienced that after making contact - at least when I realized ignoring them results in multiple calls.

Guess you could turn off ringer since mass messages do not ring but go to VM.
Regardless - not unplugging phone (no VM) - the risk of not getting relevant resort/local/weather info (especially WSJ and WPORV) is worth the minor hassle. For us... I am already aware of your view.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the point of the post you are responding to so forcefully was NOT to say that the girls had an obligation to disclose that information, but simply that doing so would likely have largely eliminated the repetitive calling and pressure. I agree with paluamalia on this one.

She knows now. She didn't know then because she hadn't had any experience dodging pushy timeshare salesmen. Regardless, calling a dozen times in one night is ridiculous and obnoxious, and I doubt they'd have done so had they been dealing with a 50-year old who wasn't answering his/her phone.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
She knows now. She didn't know then because she hadn't had any experience dodging pushy timeshare salesmen. Regardless, calling a dozen times in one night is ridiculous and obnoxious, and I doubt they'd have done so had they been dealing with a 50-year old who wasn't answering his/her phone.

They may not have heard the last of them. I sent a friend's daughter and her new husband to DRI location for their honeymoon. I recently found out that they are still receiving calls from Diamond on their cell phone three years later. :mad: They gave them their cell number because their unit was not ready when they arrived.

Btw, the number shows up as a local number and is always different so they haven't been able to successfully block it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
They may not have heard the last of them. I sent a friend's daughter and her new husband to DRI location for their honeymoon. I recently found out that they are still receiving calls from Diamond on their cell phone three years later. :mad: They gave them their cell number because their unit was not ready when they arrived.

Btw, the number shows up as a local number and is always different so they haven't been able to successfully block it.
I get those too from staying at DRI Maui, they call to offer a three night stay for $199. I keep adding the number to my ignore list. I don't think *wood does it though.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get those too from staying at DRI Maui, they call to offer a three night stay for $199. I keep adding the number to my ignore list. I don't think *wood does it though.

Thanks for mentioning DRI Maui - I'm sending my dad there in April. I'll be sure to mention it to him. (Although it would serve them right to have to deal with a cranky old guy every time they call :D "Get off my phone!")