• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wine Woot is Closing

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've kind of moved on from woot in general of late. It seemed like they had more Amazon-like merchandise and without Prime, you had to pay shipping on everything. As to wine, they required a signature so it meant hanging at home until the UPS dude arrived.

Jim

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Sad to hear that.

I've purchased quite a few times over the years to try out different wines at a reasonable cost and gift a bottle or two.

I've also bought wine on Groupon.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear that.

I've purchased quite a few times over the years to try out different wines at a reasonable cost and gift a bottle or two.

I've also bought wine on Groupon.

I am not the Wine drinker in the family, but my wife likes red wines.

Have the Groupon buys been a 'success'?

If so, I'd consider buying for her.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've kind of moved on from woot in general of late. It seemed like they had more Amazon-like merchandise and without Prime, you had to pay shipping on everything. As to wine, they required a signature so it meant hanging at home until the UPS dude arrived.

Jim
No need to wait at home. You can have the package delivered to a FedEx shipment center near your house, and pick it up anytime when they're open (within five business days after delivery). I do that quite often with wine shipments.

My understanding is the Wine.woot is a casualty of the Whole Foods acquisition. In many states, liquor distribution laws make clear distinctions between producers, distributors, and sellers of alcoholic beverages. Because local liquor laws are often heavily influenced by in-state liquor distributors, many states have onerous requirements to operate as a distributor from out-of-state. They are also structured to make it extremely difficult, if not outright illegal, for sellers to acquire alcoholic beverages without going through a distributor.

Whole Foods sells wine, which it obtains from distributors. By owning and operating wine.woot, Amazon was now in a position of being both a representative of wineries, as well as a seller. This set up signficant legal issues, so Amazon is pulling the plug on Wine.woot.

The good news is that Wine Country Connect, the company that is the engine behind wine.woot, is going to resurrect the operation under a new tent after wine.woot shuts down. So it probably won't go away, and it will be free of Amazon. :)

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I am not the Wine drinker in the family, but my wife likes red wines.

Have the Groupon buys been a 'success'?

If so, I'd consider buying for her.
I have found a few I like on Groupon. I also use Heartwood and Oak for variety

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post, Steve. Glad to hear Wine Country Connect will be a future outlet for us.
Just as an FYI, I've also ordered some of their food goodies (such as Greek olives, olive oils, candies, ets.) and have been really happy with them as well.

To Jim, I believe any mail-order wine requires signatures, but yeah, it's a hassle to make sure you're there. We got a call a day before delivery so tried to make sure someone was home. Some folks had wine delivered to their office (I never tried that, LOL).
But at times I did as Steve mentions and had wine delivered to a local FedEx shipment center and just picked it up when I had some time. Yeah, another hassle. But sometimes the deals were worth it. ;)