• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg without Kids?

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm always seeing great, cheap, II Getaway availability in Williamsburg. Airfare being what it is (not that gas prices are so great either!), it is a drivable distance for us. However, we have no kids. What is there to do in Williamsburg without kids?

We like to go to nice restaurants and are trying to eat healthfully. We actually have done "historic" tours recently (in Mystic CT) so maybe we would go to Historic Willamsburg since neither of us have gone since being kids ourselves. But I can't imagine doing that for more than 1 day. So, what else is there to do in the area? What specific resorts would others recommend to us? Keep in mind that those that are less child friendly are great for us. ;)

Thanks for you input!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister and I did a II getaway last September at Manor Club. We did the historic stuff for 2 days(made up for a trip when we were kids and no one wanted to get out of the car at Williamsburg on our way to OBX).

We hit the outlet mall pretty hard, had to ship 2 large boxes home. Went to the Winery and Williamsburg Pottery.

To be honest I can't remember the names of the places we ate at.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some great five star and four star restaurant in Williamsburg. Gas prices are averaing around $3.50 per gal regular gas in Williamsburg. Gas prices are lower in the Cities of Newport News and Hampton, VA around $3.48 per gal regular..

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the two Jamestown sites and the two Yorktowne sites even WITHOUT kids. The adults get more out of it than the kids, and I'd love to look at everything at my leisure without kids tugging at me.

For Colonial Williamsburg, there are lots of programs - many at n/c - that are adult-friendly. For example, a tour of the archaeology labs (you get to see and sometimes handle the real stuff they've found over the years), being part of a courthouse trial, a program on slaves ....... there are many programs that, while kids are welcome, are on topics that adults may understand better than kids.

Not that I don't recommend these sites for kids - I strongly do - but they're more likely to just look around and see a bunch of old stuff than to really understand what it means. They'll enjoy climbing on the recreated ships and going through the recreated fort and indian village (Jamestown), but the adults will see and understand these sites in more depth.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought the top level pass at Colonial Williamsburg. It got us into every building and allowed us to join all the additional programs that they offer for no additional fee. We even took the tour of the headquarters and library. That tour took us behind the scenes into the art restoration labs. I think we spent 5 days at Colonial Williamsburg, but not all day every day. We went back in the evenings for some of the programs.

We also enjoyed Jamestown and Yorktown.

I have no kids and we immensely enjoyed our vacation there.

Last edited:

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have gone at least once with kids and twice without. It was better without the kids because we enjoy the lectures by historical figures, the information that is posted at sites, the architecture, etc. In other words, we like to take it all in and not rush around. Most children don't have the patience for that.

There is excellent dining in the historic district and in the shopping area. You should be able to get an excellent dinner every night for at least five nights. There is no lack of chain restaurants outside the historic area if you are so inclined. As suggested by an earlier post it is a good idea to get the all inclusive "triangle" pass. There is excellent outlet shopping in the area.

If your resort has a pool you will surely want to take it advantage of it during the summer because of the oppressive heat at this time of year. You could also go to Busch Gardens for a day and enjoy the water rides etc.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg can be terrific for couples and singles. All of the advice so far was right on the money.

Here's some more things to consider:

1) go in September, October, or November. Very few kids during that time
2) Tons of golf in Williamsburg including courses at Manor Club (Fords Colony) and Greensprings
3) College of William and Mary has a lot to see and do
4) Yorktown waterfront
5) Virginia Beach day trip
6) Busch Gardens is great for adults
7) Williamsburg Winery

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been there twice without kids. The historical figure talks are wonderful. DW enjoyed the old embroidery in the museum that was just about a one-on-one showing with a docent. We both thoroughly enjoyed Jamestown and Yorktown. Even Busch Gardens (we are not roller-coaster fans on any level) was fun. Sort-of a walking tour of Europe. Irish cloggers, beer tastings.

Google 'Historic Williamsburg'. Look at the weekly schedule for a while. It'll give you an idea what's available that might interest you.

We found not a lot of REALLY good restaurants. Lots of better-than-average ones, but that worked for us.

Last time there we had an RCI Last Call at Patriot's Place. Clearly not the high-end spread, but adequate, clean, not a lot of kid-type activities, but lovely gardens, movies on a big-screen around the pool. They didn't twist our arms for a sales presentation- a movie to qualify for cheap entry tickets and stuff.

Great vacation for the price.

Jim Ricks