• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why won't my computer let me access Yahoo?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a new computer and all has been working fine. For the last two days, if I try to access Yahoo to check my email, it comes up with a screen that says it can't make that connection. Probable causes include that the site might not be operating or I am not typing the address in correctly, neither of which can be right. I've tried accessing it by using a link through a Google search, same thing.

I've deleted temporary internet files and cookies, but the same thing is happening. I'm not that tech savvy - my common inclination is to throw a computer off my balcony when it doesn't work the way I want it to - but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was able to get the Yahoo home page using that link, but when I clicked on anything on that home page, I'm getting the same message. So I still can't access anything within Yahoo.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the past 6 months or so, I have had the same problem. I can only get to my Yahoo mail account through an old link I have on my desktop for MSN Explorer. And when I do get in, I can read and send Emails but if I follow a link to a page where I need to enter info such as username, password, or fill out any form, I receive an error message that says MSN needs to shut down, and I get bounced out of the browser. It's been very frustrating.

When I try to access Yahoo through Safari, Firefox, or Netscape 9.0 it scrolls and scrolls but never gets me to Yahoo.com.

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I thought I was going nuts!

Thank you, it's so good to hear that I am not the only one ... just started this morning, and I cannot access Yahoo.ca or Yahoo.com - any how, any way! It's driving me crazy! I haven't changed a thing between today and last night so I have no idea why this is happening! Any advice gratefully accepted!

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the last two days, if I try to access Yahoo to check my email, it comes up with a screen that says it can't make that connection.

Okay, we're not losing our minds. Bev, if you are on Shaw, I just spoke with the folks there and their simplified explanation is that since early this AM (Tuesday), Shaw's servers are not talking to Yahoo's servers. Apparently they are working on it, and hope to have a solution by tomorrow. I'm just glad to know that it wasn't something I did!

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
12:06 AM MST - if your ISP is Shaw, then the problem is now fixed! Yippee!

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Okay, we're not losing our minds. Bev, if you are on Shaw, I just spoke with the folks there and their simplified explanation is that since early this AM (Tuesday), Shaw's servers are not talking to Yahoo's servers. Apparently they are working on it, and hope to have a solution by tomorrow. I'm just glad to know that it wasn't something I did!

The fact that you could reach Yahoo directly via their IP number indicates this was probably a problem with Shaw's DNS (Dynamic Name System) servers. This is much like a phone book. When you want to place a phone call to somebody you first go to the phone book and look up the number associated with that name, then you dial that number.

The internet is much the same. When you tell the computer to go to www.yahoo.com, the computer can't go there directly, but first must look up the IP (Internet Protocol) number. Instead of a phone book, your computer consults the DNS server associated with your internet connection, usually provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), in this case Shaw. Once the DNS has provided the associated IP number, your computer contacts the internet destination directly, via the IP.

IP numbers are issued, cancelled, and updated all the time. Consequently the local DNS servers must be contually updated. Sometimes something goes wrong with these updates, so until the next update is received, it can leave some internet destinations inaccessible by your system.

If you run into this again, there are a number of things you can do:
  1. Add an entry in the hosts file on your computer. Your system consults the hosts file before it tries a DNS lookup -- if it finds the IP it needs there, it will use that IP immediately, bypassing the DNS altogether, so it can actually speed up your system for accessing that site. You do have to know the IP number for the site already, though, in order to do this. Here's a TUG post from when we last changed our IP here that contains some more detailed information.

2. Configure your system to use an alternative DNS instead of the one provided by your ISP. Here's a list from Broadband Reports of public DNS locations you can use. For fastest results, you should choose ones geographically near you.

One popular alternative DNS is OpenDNS. I've never tried it, but I know folks that swear by it. OpenDNS also provides optional filtering capabilities that allow you to block your choice of over 50 categories of websites (see list). OpenDNS instructions for changing your system DNS configuration.

3. Install your own DNS on your computer. The only one I know of is Treewalk.

Last edited:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's working fine for me too.

I think I just assumed it was something to do with my new computer. Always a lot of glitches to work out, it seems.

Thanks much, all.