• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why is II calling me and hanging up?

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten three calls from II this week. The phone has rang exactly once each time. By the time I answer it, the line has been disconnected. We recently confirmed an exchange and have a pending request. Should I be concerned? Are they just trying to sell me the insurance I declined? Has this happened to anyone else?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have encountered the same thing. Just ignore them. I believe it's because of the automatic dialing...

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please - more telemarketing/crank calls!

The "joys" of II membership are never ending....

taffy19

Reaction score
I had a call from RCI recently to deposit two units we own. At least, I talked to someone in person and they announced a big change that is coming too. I should have listened better what it was but I didn't pay attention. They also mentioned a special for a five year subscription, I believe. I can't repeat what it was because I didn't listen carefully. At least, it was a person on the other end of the phone. :) We also get calls and then there is nobody on the phone. Maybe II. ;)

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh....

I had a call from RCI recently......and they announced a big change that is coming too.

More "improvements" from RCI, perhaps? Get your checkbooks ready.:eek:

Maybe the "big change" is court mandated out of the Murillo vs. RCI lawsuit settlement talks currently in progess in federal court in NJ? :rolleyes:

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten three calls from II this week. The phone has rang exactly once each time. By the time I answer it, the line has been disconnected.
This is a common problem with automatic dialers. The computer determines who should be called. With II it is people who have pending exchanges who haven't spoken to a VC in a while. The computer dials in anticipation of a VC being available. If it determines that, after initiating the call, a VC will not be available after all, it hangs up. I presume there are parameters that can be tuned to decrease the likelihood of having to hang up, but the change would also increase the likelihood that a VC is sitting there waiting on a call. Most large companies that make outbound customer calls use automatic dialers so that their employees don't spend time dialing and waiting while the phone rings.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've gotten that from II consistently over the last year or so. Usually the phone rings twice, and they hang up, even if I pick up immediately after the second ring. Usually happens at around dinnertime. My guess is that it's an auto-dialer where, if they get me, they will tell me about my ongoing search, tell me that there is no match, and ask me to upgrade to Gold membership. That is what they do whenever they initiate a call to me on the phone and we actually connect.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Oh no - the dreaded 70 year class action gets a credit for a coke can!

More "improvements" from RCI, perhaps? Get your checkbooks ready.:eek:

Maybe the "big change" is court mandated out of the Murillo vs. RCI lawsuit settlement talks currently in progess in federal court in NJ? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah - Those touted class action lawsuits have been SO effective so far! :deadhorse:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
duplicate post deleted...

Inadvertent duplicate post deleted here. Actual reply is my post below...

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not what I said...

Oh yeah - Those touted class action lawsuits have been SO effective so far! :deadhorse:

I wasn't in any way even remotely suggesting that the lawsuit against RCI was, is, or will be "effective". I don't deposit or trade with RCI and have never done so --- I have "no dog in that fight".

I was (and I still am...again) instead just openly expressing my own overt suspicion and sincere doubt about there being any positive member benefit likely resulting from any "big change" reportedly coming from RCI. ;)

P.S. The class action lawsuit against RCI was initially filed in April, 2006, if I recall correctly. Settlement talks taking place now, in August 2008, is hardly a "70 year class action" (unless my own math is way off)...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The "joys" of II membership are never ending....

As if RCI doesn't do the exact same thing. Only they'll offer to rent you a week because your exchange isn't available.

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, as I said, we have been II members for two years and have never received any phone calls from II unless they were confirming an exchange request, let alone ones like these where no one is on the other end. I have not considered my II membership to be anything but a benefit and certainly not a nuisance as some have implied here. I wonder why there would be different treatment. We've had weeks deposited for great lengths of time and they've never called us to offer exchanges like some have mentioned on other threads. Could it have something to do with being Marriott owners? I know that every time I call, I am redirected to a different line, or lately, am told that I will have to call it direct. The calls have stopped by the way. I just got the three.

mightywyrm

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem with automatic dialers. The computer determines who should be called. With II it is people who have pending exchanges who haven't spoken to a VC in a while. The computer dials in anticipation of a VC being available. If it determines that, after initiating the call, a VC will not be available after all, it hangs up. I presume there are parameters that can be tuned to decrease the likelihood of having to hang up, but the change would also increase the likelihood that a VC is sitting there waiting on a call. Most large companies that make outbound customer calls use automatic dialers so that their employees don't spend time dialing and waiting while the phone rings.

The hangups happened to us as well, but always AFTER WE PICKED UP. That was only half of the "nuisance", though: They actually logged those calls and cited them as evidence of excellent service when we complained that we hadn't heard a thing in months. So yeah, perhaps those "parameters" can also INcrease the likelihood of a hangup - as desired.

PS - We spent the better part of 2 years waiting for II to exchange our "red" Ridge Tahoe weeks for London, and eventually we gave up and gave in... We let them book us in Cromer Country Club, which is a fine resort, but it's 2.5 hours travel time from London. HUGE mistake...

Thanks II for advertising London (including on the cover of your magazine), having literally NOTHING available except studio units for years at a time, and treating us like crap for actually trying to exchange for more than a studio.

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I happened to be near the phone when it rang two days ago, and I picked it up on the first ring and waited. The exchange was pretty much as I predicted above. But at least no hangup calls for another month or so.