• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why I hate II

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to book and cancel for free (Marriott corp acct)? Can you continue to book and cancel to extend this week? I'm not sure how it works with a MVC account. I realize that you will still have to search manually but maybe you can get out to the summer months that way.
I do have a MVC account which as I understand is now allowed to buy ePlus. So theoretically I could get an extra year (though I'm not sure this is true given that I'm already in 'flex-time') by buying ePlus and doing manual searches. But every vacation day is currently booked up until summer 2021....so I couldn't use it anyway.

PS Love your signature BTW!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Well I know that now...;-)

Yeah, I HATE that for you.....it was a tough lesson and I've had my share too.
We all have in different ways if we've owned timeshares for a long time.

Two years ago I rented a New Years week at Aruba Ocean Club for my son as a special Christmas gift (it's what he wanted),
and it was $4000. It ended up being the cheapest week I could find there by any means, but it's just an example of how
those BIG weeks always end up in the rental listings. Wish I owned a few of those weeks strictly for investment purposes.

The secret to trades is working the system with EPlus and upgrading (unless it's in your "points" account where you get unlimited free trades). Persistence and diligence can work miracles.
These all happened this year for me:
Got a PLATINUM June Barony week (Oceanside) this year by depositing a Barony silver week....then plans changed and I could not use
the June Barony week, and re-traded for an October week at Custom House....our favorite time for Fall in New England!!!!
I also used a 1BR Manor Club (lockoff) and upgraded to a 3BR Surfwatch Easter week in April, the exact week we wanted because of our Spring Break.
Also got a Platinum June week at Myrtle Beach's Oceanwatch by trading a silver Oceanwatch week.
Also a Manor Club studio got me ultimately another Easter week at Grande Vista, a 3BR, which I gave to a staff member & family.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...Europe in the summer was probably a reach. My assumption there was that you were looking at the Marriotts in Spain (maybe France) and I have read here on Tug that those units just don't get deposited often and have a very high owner usage...
Actually, we had a DCL cruise sailing out of Dover so I was trying to trade into a bunch of resorts in Devon, Cornwall, the Lake District, and Scotland during the week before. No soap.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Actually, we had a DCL cruise sailing out of Dover so I was trying to trade into a bunch of resorts in Devon, Cornwall, the Lake District, and Scotland during the week before. No soap.
Well that's a good data point for the rest of us, but sorry that you had to find out this II limitation the hard way. It would be so helpful if they would *honestly* tell you that you are searching for the impossible so that you can make alternate plans! Timeshares definitely have their limitations. Not saying that you would have had any better success with RCI, but they seem to have a bit more European inventory than II.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I do have a MVC account which as I understand is now allowed to buy ePlus. So theoretically I could get an extra year (though I'm not sure this is true given that I'm already in 'flex-time') by buying ePlus and doing manual searches. But every vacation day is currently booked up until summer 2021....so I couldn't use it anyway.

PS Love your signature BTW!
You DO NOT need eplus, as you can retrade an unlimited # of times. I once retraded over 10x to move to a week I needed when I was stuck in 60 day window. Just keep trading anywhere in Marriott out <60 days.

Also, not being able to lock off, you would practically never get reasonable equivalent value for your Hawaii 2BR trading in II.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your experience. I have had nearly 100% success rate with II. I have a hard time believing you had no matches for 2 yrs with ongoing requests if you placed them early enough and were realistic. I have always gotten ongoing requests.
With any timeshare vacation planning it is hard when you have last minute changes. Of course with points you can cancel the last minute but don't always get what you want. I love both, II and destination points, just have to plan. It is hard with kids in school. Easier for me now with kids all grown.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You DO NOT need eplus, as you can retrade an unlimited # of times. I once retraded over 10x to move to a week I needed when I was stuck in 60 day window. Just keep trading anywhere in Marriott out <60 days.
When I try to retrade I can pick any date but when I hit 'continue' it tells me to revise my dates to 03/11/2020 - 04/10/2020. So it could be giving me a 30 day window...I'll test again tomorrow.

As for Eplus, I was looking at the advice offered by another TUGger (sadly I didn't record the name). But as I reread the advice I realized eplus wouldn't get out of flexchange - it is just cheaper and offered better functionality than buying II's extension.

Also, not being able to lock off, you would practically never get reasonable equivalent value for your Hawaii 2BR trading in II.
Are you saying that my 2BR doesn't trade as well as a 'lock-off-able' 2BR? Or that I couldn't keep one half and trade the other (a non-starter for us as we'll need a 2BR for the foreseeable future)?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing you had no matches for 2 yrs with ongoing requests if you placed them early enough and were realistic....
It's the 'realistic' part that got me. I assumed (incorrectly) that I could trade a peak TDI summer Hawaiian 2BR for it's equivalent at another resort. But as JME pointed out, people who get those weeks rent them out if they can't use them. Similarly, I had hoped that resorts in England that rent for far less than Waiohai during the same weeks would be 'tradable into'. Sadly, this turned out not to be the case either.

Reactions: jme

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
When I try to retrade I can pick any date but when I hit 'continue' it tells me to revise my dates to 03/11/2020 - 04/10/2020. So it could be giving me a 30 day window...I'll test again tomorrow.
My guess is you are at the end of your two year trade period, thus a retrade will take you back to that date where the eplus let you go further.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

As for Eplus, I was looking at the advice offered by another TUGger (sadly I didn't record the name). But as I reread the advice I realized eplus wouldn't get out of flexchange - it is just cheaper and offered better functionality than buying II's extension.

Are you saying that my 2BR doesn't trade as well as a 'lock-off-able' 2BR? Or that I couldn't keep one half and trade the other (a non-starter for us as we'll need a 2BR for the foreseeable future)?

As Panina said, it sounds like your trading window expires on April 10, 2020.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval is indeed giving me a 30 day window - today I can retrade out to 04/11/2020. If I keep the game going through July I'm curious if the 30 day window will close on the week's three year mark.

But at this point I have no idea what the future will bring. My daughter's school trip was cancelled yesterday, I don't know if we will get to fly on Easter week, and since I live near one of the three epicenters of the pandemic in the US it's unclear if/when our local school district will shut down (four nearby districts have already done so) and when they will reopen.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Interval is indeed giving me a 30 day window - today I can retrade out to 04/11/2020. If I keep the game going through July I'm curious if the 30 day window will close on the week's three year mark.

But at this point I have no idea what the future will bring. My daughter's school trip was cancelled yesterday, I don't know if we will get to fly on Easter week, and since I live near one of the three epicenters of the pandemic in the US it's unclear if/when our local school district will shut down (four nearby districts have already done so) and when they will reopen.
Once you trade out to the last trade date you should be then able to go out another 30 (60?) days. And I do think that you will eventually run into the expiration date of the underlying deposit. I had to do something similar a few years ago where I was stuck with a 60 day trade period, so I first traded into something on the last possible trade date then did another retrade to reach a week that was about 4 months out.

Of course in todays situation all bets are off with travel.