• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why go to HGVC on the big island at all?

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to travel to HGVC on the big island? You have a volcano to visit on the big island, but what else can you do on the big island that you can not do on Oahu? If there are activities that you can do on Oahu or the big island, I assume close to Waikoloa or Kings Land or Bay Club, which are better / more enjoyable for what reasons on the big island? I assume less people over all, so more of a private vacation. If you like to golf perhaps, but if you are a beach goer, which one is closest to the beach (I assume Waikoloa because it is called beach resort - yet listed as a 15 minute walk on the website, ouch). Anyway, want to visit the big island some time, but just am having a hard time figuring out why if you have to 1. take a second flight and 2. have a long walk to the beach and or have to take a shuttle on a schedule every time you want to go to the beach.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you like. The big island is way more laid back than Oahu. I like them both.

On the big island, we like to visit the volcano, snorkel (it's better on the big island), visit coffee plantations, go to hilo, see akaka falls, look at wild animals, kick back and relax...

Oahu is great, but it is very busy and the HGVC area reminds me of a city that never sleeps. We like to go to the north shore and other areas that aren't near the resort. I guess that is also true with the HGVCs on the big island.

The bummer on the big island is that it's a far drive to anything. We spend too much time in the car for being on a tropical island in the pacific.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Why would anyone want to travel to HGVC on the big island? You have a volcano to visit on the big island, but what else can you do on the big island that you can not do on Oahu? If there are activities that you can do on Oahu or the big island, I assume close to Waikoloa or Kings Land or Bay Club, which are better / more enjoyable for what reasons on the big island? I assume less people over all, so more of a private vacation. If you like to golf perhaps, but if you are a beach goer, which one is closest to the beach (I assume Waikoloa because it is called beach resort - yet listed as a 15 minute walk on the website, ouch). Anyway, want to visit the big island some time, but just am having a hard time figuring out why if you have to 1. take a second flight and 2. have a long walk to the beach and or have to take a shuttle on a schedule every time you want to go to the beach.

They both rock. We think that Hapuna Beach is one of the best beaches in all of the Hawaiian islands. We love the Hilton Waikoloa Village pool system and lagoon. There is really good golfing on Big Island and it is much more laid back than Honolulu.

But there are many things to like about Oahu too, so I don't dispute your underlying question. Part of it is reservation access. I was able to book into Kings Land in February about 5 months out when my original January Oahu plans canceled. So I was really looking forward to going to Oahu, and now I'm really looking forward to going to Big Island.

And I am excited for Maui in June!

Best,

Greg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You are right, just keep going to Oahu and leave the BI for us.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

ontilt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Valdoro x2
Worldmark

As others have mentioned the Big Island is way more laid back than Oahu -- especially Waikiki. The western part of Oahu is less overrun than Big Island though. In terms of beaches, A-Bay is right next to the Waikoloa developments and a great beach with a wonderful bar/grill on the edge of the beach where you can catch sunsets. Hapuna beach is also great and there's a lot more nature to see on the Big Island IMO -- wildlife as well as whale watching. Downtown Kona has a much different feel / vibe than Oahu. Oahu has more dining out options, but Big Island is still good.

Hope that helps,
H

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
They both rock. We think that Hapuna Beach is one of the best beaches in all of the Hawaiian islands. We love the Hilton Waikoloa Village pool system and lagoon. There is really good golfing on Big Island and it is much more laid back than Honolulu.

But there are many things to like about Oahu too, so I don't dispute your underlying question. Part of it is reservation access. I was able to book into Kings Land in February about 5 months out when my original January Oahu plans canceled. So I was really looking forward to going to Oahu, and now I'm really looking forward to going to Big Island.

And I am excited for Maui in June!

Best,

Greg

Easy there Greg. You're giving me a serious case of Vacation envy....;)

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I love Oahu but only for a few days.

The streets are like being on a Tokyo subway. It's fun but gets old after a while.

The Big Island is gorgeous and laid back. Plus you can catch a marlin if you're lucky. ( I wasn't).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I look at it from the other end of the spectrum: Why would you ever go to Oahu, if you could go to another island - any island. ;)

Disclaimer: We have been to Oahu once and enjoyed the historical things, but once was enough.

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
Big island is beautiful!

My husband loved the resort in Big island - compared to the one in Oahu. He said it felt like private resort and it really was. Very relaxing and surrounding was beautiful. So you know, everyone is different in terms of liking. :

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
If the only reason you go to Oahu is for Waikiki Beach, then you'll be very disappointed with the Big Island.

I suggest picking up a copy of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed, to give you an idea of what's available on the Big Island, right down to the mile markers.

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/hawaii-the-big-island-revealed/guidebook-app/

We like the Big Island, which is why I have reservations for a 2-BDRM, for 2 weeks, in Waikoloa Village, at Kings Land and Kohala Suites. Going to add a 3rd week.

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the only reason you go to Oahu is for Waikiki Beach, then you'll be very disappointed with the Big Island.

I went to the Big Island once -- and that was enough for me. The quote above got me to wondering. I'm a person who loves Oahu and the Big Island is at the bottom of my list. If I really wanted to go to Hawaii and BI was the only thing available, I 'might' go.

When a person really likes Oahu, like I do, does that mean they will put BI on bottom of list in order or preference? (Truth be told, I still love Maui the best, although Kauai is a close second.)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I went to the Big Island once -- and that was enough for me. The quote above got me to wondering. I'm a person who loves Oahu and the Big Island is at the bottom of my list. If I really wanted to go to Hawaii and BI was the only thing available, I 'might' go.

When a person really likes Oahu, like I do, does that mean they will put BI on bottom of list in order or preference? (Truth be told, I still love Maui the best, although Kauai is a close second.)
I think if you like big cities and crowds then Oahu will appeal more than BI.

My first trip to Hawaii was Kona because a coworker owned a condo there, it defined the experience for me with every subsequent visit to the other islands.

Waikiki beach is boring for me, too many people and no good snorkeling.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

When a person really likes Oahu (to be fair, I stated "Waikiki Beach", not Oahu, because people that go strictly for "Waikiki Beach" aren't interested in the rest of Oahu or any of the other islands, they only want the beach, which is why I stated that "Waikiki Beach" people would be disappointed in the BI. BTW, we're not beach people), like I do, does that mean they will put BI on bottom of list in order or preference? (Truth be told, I still love Maui the best, although Kauai is a close second.)
Asking the wrong person. We're so disappointed with the Big Island that we're going there to look at land to buy, to build a house on. I could live on any of the 4 major islands, but the wife really likes the diversity of the Big Island and I'm OK with that. Plus the Big Island offers the best Real Estate prices. We're looking at land in Kona and Waikoloa Village.

Anybody watch the HGTV program Building Hawaii, which is/was filmed in Kona?

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/building-hawaii

Last edited:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
What can you do on the BI that you can't on Oahu?

See the big telescopes.

See black sand and green sand beaches.

Drive up a mountain along fragrant redwood trees.

See cows placidly grazing in paradise.

Be alone on a nice beach.

Enjoy volcanically heated natural pools.

See where Kona coffee is actually grown.

And, finally, and most important to me. . .

Go on Hawaiin time. . . Just let the peace sink in. . .

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What can you do on the BI that you can't on Oahu?

Be alone on a nice beach.
Go on Hawaiian time. . . Just let the peace sink in. . .

Sush!... Any more of that, and you won't have any peace or alone-time.
For me, it's been ~12 years (being from the East Coast), but I have fond memories.

jestme

Reaction score
It is really all about what you are looking for on vacation. I live in a quiet, cottage town on a lake, with lots of nature, only three restaurants, two traffic lights, and "rush minute". at 5:01PM. That is where I decided to live 48 weeks of my life per year. I don't live in a bustling metropolis that I am trying to escape from every chance I can get. I don't need to go to Hawaii to get what I already have at home. For me, when I go on vacation, I want the opposite of what I have at home, so I love Oahu, and Waikiki. Busy, many restaurants, nightlife, new people to meet, talk to, etc.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip

I suggest picking up a copy of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed, to give you an idea of what's available on the Big Island, right down to the mile markers.

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/hawaii-the-big-island-revealed/guidebook-app/

We like the Big Island, which is why I have reservations for a 2-BDRM, for 2 weeks, in Waikoloa Village, at Kings Land and Kohala Suites. Going to add a 3rd week.

No way! I was looking for a book to buy my spouse as a Christmas present to plan for our Kings Land visit in August, and after agonizing over it, that's the book I chose.

Glad to see I chose well!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Sounds good to me. :D

Next trip will be in April, two weeks at the Kohala Suites.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Comparing the four main Hawaiian Islands to each other is a pointless exercise. They each have their good and bad points. Going to one and thinking you've seen them all is just silly. They each need to be experienced, so they can show you first hand why that is the best place in Hawaii to spend your time. Dismissing any of them as not worth your time is also doing a huge disservice to the wonderful things to be found there.

But then again, as someone's signature on Tug says, "If you love Kauai, send your friends to Maui." ;)

Dave

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The question for us Car or No Car?

I going to express the opposite, Go to Big Island and leave Oahu for us.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If you must have a car on vacation why stay in Waikiki with all the traffic, parking problems, parking costs and car rental costs. We stay in Waikiki for a long time without a car. We usually rent a car for one day to go to the North Shore and other areas that are not readily available without a car. We can walk to most things in Waikiki and even to the museum and downtown. The bus service is great around town if we don't want to walk or don't want to walk back at night from downtown. As seniors you can ride the bus for $1 with a free transfer.

We have been to Big Island, as well as all 6 islands you can go to and they all are great. We look forward to going back to them all. However, Honolulu is the only place you can stay comfortably and do many things without a car. If we had to have a car I would rather go to Big Island than Oahu.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, for me, the question is:
If you own HGVC, why go to the Big Island (although they don't have Maui yet) vs the BI in general

The HGVC locations are all in Waikaloa and it's probably a 40 min drive (or did they finish both lanes finally?) from there to Kona.

It's not so much that there's not stuff to do on the BI, it's that the HGVC locations are not exactly "close" to any of them. Waikaloa has nice beaches, but the wind really picks up by like 10:30-11 so the ocean isn't very swimmable, IMO.

I'd rather exchange into RCI/II and stay in Kona (not sure if there's anything in Hilo).

ldzierzanowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont forget the fishing is significantly better out of Kona.

Can we just go to the beach now...please!!!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

I love the Big Island and I hate the crowds on Oahu and Maui.

I am a diver and there is much better scuba diving on BI too. I love the volcano and the scenery and the fact that you can go to a more remote beach and sometimes have it to yourself.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I love the Big Island and I hate the crowds on Oahu and Maui.

I am a diver and there is much better scuba diving on BI too. I love the volcano and the scenery and the fact that you can go to a more remote beach and sometimes have it to yourself.

I've got almost that exact experience. I went to the beach where the nice hotel is (Makena?)

I had my fins with me and was bodysurfing in near perfect (and powerful!) surf. I young Hawaiian man swam out with his fins and we bodysurfed together. We talked the whole time in the waves and we were the only two out there.

I showed him my classic, old-school Churchill fins. He said my dad has some of those! He said we were both Watermen and that's what really mattered.

I was mighty proud and beat up at the end of the session. A three foot wave in Hawaii pummels you way more than a three foot wave in San Diego.