• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why does the store nearest me

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just reading the thread, "next year's turkey plan". I clicked on the Chef John's gravy recipe, and " the store nearest me" that I can buy the ingredients for the recipe was displayed at the end of the recipe they almost nailed it a local Giant Eagle grocery store near me. Little scary huh?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatal

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just reading the thread, "next year's turkey plan". I clicked on the Chef John's gravy recipe, and " the store nearest me" that I can buy the ingredients for the recipe was displayed at the end of the recipe they almost nailed it a local Giant Eagle grocery store near me. Little scary huh?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatal

I'm guessing you are using your phone, and have Location turned on.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Yup, that is it. I am using Chrome on a laptop and it is showing the Meijer store nearest us.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Huh, I guess they are afraid to venture into the frozen north. I have display ads for the right hand side for other stores I frequent online but nothing suggesting where I could buy groceries. Probably our local stores aren't paying for the advertising.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm using a tablet. What was crazy is the tablet is one from my sister and is set up for Kansas city, not Ohio.
Yet it pulled up a store in Ohio.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm using a tablet. What was crazy is the tablet is one from my sister and is set up for Kansas city, not Ohio.
Yet it pulled up a store in Ohio.

If it is being used in Ohio, it knows what network you are connected to and where you are sitting using it. Sitting on the couch or on the bed? It knows. Okay, that was a joke, but it does know what IP address you are connected to and will also know what company internet you are using, U-Verse, Road Runner, etc.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is being used in Ohio, it knows what network you are connected to and where you are sitting using it. Sitting on the couch or on the bed? It knows. Okay, that was a joke, but it does know what IP address you are connected to and will also know what company internet you are using, U-Verse, Road Runner, etc.
Yea that makes sense since it was a near miss. It is that usually one has to put in your zip code to find a store. What is scary, if a grocery store can do it, what exactly is someone like Google doing with my info, or is big brother finally arrived?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found it curious that after looking at items on eBay or Amazon or other sites, that I find pop-up ads for exactly the same items on other sites, or mysteriously get emails concerning similar items.

I accept that cookies are placed on my computer and there is no illusion of privacy. I allow my location to be discerned and get prices at local stores when I search for recipes. That's just the way it is.

If it bothers you, and you want more privacy, I think all browsers have a selection choice for 'Private Browsing' or some similar terminology. Activate it, and refuse permission for location services. Probably is not fail-safe, but will at least be less blatant about outfits that pay for your eyeballs to see their ads.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yea that makes sense since it was a near miss. It is that usually one has to put in your zip code to find a store. What is scary, if a grocery store can do it, what exactly is someone like Google doing with my info, or is big brother finally arrived?

Big brother has arrived. If you have location services enabled on the tablet or through the browser you are using, the website will be able to tell where it is located. You can disable this feature though.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What is scary, if a grocery store can do it, what exactly is someone like Google doing with my info, or is big brother finally arrived?

If you want a real reality check, Google your own name sometime. It will amaze you what is known out there about you. :eek:

Dave

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did this the other day and was amazed to find a picture of myself and a friend, because we had won a bridge tournament. Didn't expect to find that on Google.