• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who is ready for cicadas?

geekette

Reaction score
I read that it is time for their 17 year awakening. Ew. That was a fast 17 years, and possibly a far less pleasant summer than I had hoped for.

Can anyone say anything good about them?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’m not sure what they are?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No cicadas here, but we are having a moth infestation.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love them. Find them fascinating. In Chicago we have annual and periodic cicadas. Where I live the annual ones appear around 3rd week of June. Their noise is sooooooo loud that it's often times hard to talk on the phone outside. To me, their sound just indicates "SUMMER!" and all the good stuff it brings.

I have experienced two of the periodic cicada emergences. Really crazy events. Cicadas solidly covering trees, screens, etc. We had a screen porch growing up and I remember the cicadas covering every surface of the porch and freaking out.

Reactions: DrQ

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember in the early 90s my car died a few blocks from the office and I had to walk to work thru a bad infestation. Major cicadaphobia.

geekette

Reaction score
I’m not sure what they are?
To me, they seem large, like 2-3 inches long, bodies can be thicker than your finger. Very noisy, and they seem to shed their skins, leaving all these really gross exoskeletons around. I mostly find those on wood - the deck, wooden yard furniture, etc.

They seem to be a mix of blue and green, that is the kindest thing I can say, that they have a nice color scheme... oh, and I don't think any have ever dive-bombed me.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
... To me, their sound just indicates "SUMMER!" and all the good stuff it brings.
Brings backs memories of being a kid.

I remember finding their "shells" on trees when the molt.

geekette

Reaction score
I love them. Find them fascinating. In Chicago we have annual and periodic cicadas. Where I live the annual ones appear around 3rd week of June. Their noise is sooooooo loud that it's often times hard to talk on the phone outside. To me, their sound just indicates "SUMMER!" and all the good stuff it brings.

I have experienced two of the periodic cicada emergences. Really crazy events. Cicadas solidly covering trees, screens, etc. We had a screen porch growing up and I remember the cicadas covering every surface of the porch and freaking out.
Terrific! Thank you, I was hoping someone would put in a good word.

Yes, very loud. I can appreciate their representing 'the sound of summer', but I'll stick with the tree frogs for that ; )

I had not realized they could be annual anywhere, so, thank you for that bit of education. Counting myself lucky that it is not annual here!

geekette

Reaction score
I'm not sure if cicadas will arrive this summer in southeast Virginia
Actually, it was that part of the country that "the forecast" was for. I noted NC in the list, as I was planning to head down there in a month or two.

My little local news had barely a blip:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you know where to look , you can find a cicada emerging from its “shell”. You can put it in a screen cage and watch the emergence over the course of an hour or so. Absolutely fascinating.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I love listening to cicadas, hope they emerge here too.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our area’s cicada brood is on a different 17-year cycle, so this isn’t the year for us. It’s wonderful how they come and go, once maybe when you’re a child, then you’re in your 20s, 40s, then once or twice more. Human life is short!

Apparently cicadas like our 17 year guys evolved to appear on prime number cycles to make it harder for predators to match them. Prime numbers have no divisors (except 1 and themselves) so another critter that has maybe a 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, or 13 year cycle won’t synch with their appearance.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
All things cicada:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thankfully we are not do for them this year.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
They make great bait. Hook them in the middle and let them dance around on top of the water. This really works well for bass, perch and crappie.

Bill

geekette

Reaction score
They make great bait. Hook them in the middle and let them dance around on top of the water. This really works well for bass, perch and crappie.
Anyone is free to come collect as much bait from my property as they want.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I heard them once. If my memory serves me it was in Orlando. I had no idea what the sound was so I asked.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My last house had these massive wasp like creatures in the ground. I ended up finding out they were cicada killer wasps. I would sit on my front porch and yep, every now and then I would see one of these wasps with a cicada in tow going down to its hole. I don't mind the cicadas....but those wasps were awful.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My last house had these massive wasp like creatures in the ground. I ended up finding out they were cicada killer wasps. I would sit on my front porch and yep, every now and then I would see one of these wasps with a cicada in tow going down to its hole. I don't mind the cicadas....but those wasps were awful.
Agreed! Those things give me the creeps.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
What I remember from last time was how much dogs liked eating them

We had "July bugs" several homes ago -- red flying medium size beetle-ish bugs. We'd sit in our family room and hear the sounds of our beagle jumping to catch bugs in mid-flight, then chomp-chomp-chomp as he enjoyed his snack.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Brett

Reaction score
Millions of cicadas are expected to emerge after 17 years underground because, of course, it's 2020.

Richard

outbreaks in southwest Virginia and North Carolina - I might be sparred