• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Marriott in Spain do you recommend?

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jim. Either resort would suit your needs, but Playa has a fantastic kids pool and sport pool set aside in their own area as well as a whole bunch of kid-related activities ( Marbella also has organized kids activities ). While I don't consider the difference between the resorts in terms of kids to be huge, I think that you might find Playa to work slightly better for the kids. My only caveat is that if you folks are a "beach family" who absolutely loves swimming in the sea, then Marbella might be the better choice as their beach is more swimmable than Playa's.

I have some Marbella Photos and some Playa Photos which should give you a good idea about how fantastic both resorts are while also showing their differences.

Enjoy your Spain journey, it's a wonderful destination.

Barry

Thanks very much Barry for the great photos and information. Just one other thing (from a borderline alcoholic!) what are the alcohol prices like (especially cocktails) and do either of the resorts have a swim-up bar

Reaction score
Watch which rental company you book with - the lines at Easyjet and Goldcar were huge - never seen anything like them. You may want to stick with the majors.

We fly to Malaga and rent a car there most summers. The trick is to get one of your party to wait in line at the car rental whilst the rest of you collect the luggage.
at busy times the line for Goldcar and the other 'local' car rental companies is about an hour, maybe a bit more, and your luggage can take almost this long to arrive!
There is a reason why Glodcar, Carjet and the others have longer lines - they are way cheaper. Last month, we paid EUR258 with goldcar for a Ford Focus Wagon, which included an extra driver, kids car seats, full tank of fuel, all insurances and waivers. The same car with Avis was EUR600+ not inclduing the extra driver, car seat or insurance waivers.
The money we saved was the week's spending money for our whole family!

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . . Just one other thing (from a borderline alcoholic!) what are the alcohol prices like (especially cocktails) and do either of the resorts have a swim-up bar . . .

Whenever I'm sitting at a bar at an MVC resort, I call it doing "timeshare research". ;)

I don't specifically remember figures, but at Playa, a pint was something like 3.20 Euros and a drink around 6 Euros. Happy hour at the chiringuito was discounted. Marbella would be the same.

No swim up bars, but Playa has a take out window astride the main pool & a chiringuito on the beach. There's also a private chiringuito called Vela Azul on the opposite side of the beach which serves good drinks and has a nice shaded terrace which is an ideal place for afternoon "timeshare research". Marbella has two bars located in proximity to the pool.

The Supermercado up the way from Playa sells alcohol if you prefer a do it yourself approach. Someone else can comment on the closest liquor store to Marbella.

Barry

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . . The trick is to get one of your party to wait in line at the car rental whilst the rest of you collect the luggage . . . . There is a reason why Glodcar, Carjet and the others have longer lines - they are way cheaper.

Helen, you've got the routine down -- that's our routine exactly! Of course the last couple of times we come up short one bag, but by the time my wife gets that taken care of the car is ready.

We've never gotten whacked with a 1 hour wait ( 40 minutes once, but more usually 15 to 25 minutes ), but this depends upon your arrival time. Get in before noon and you might get caught in a turnover transition where folks are returning cars as they head home and the agency is trying to turn the vehicles over & folks are waiting for keys.

AGP is a hectic airport, and I usually do not mind the car wait ( since we all know how great Marbella and Playa are ). But it does annoy me when you get these knuckle heads who don't want the car their voucher states & they tie up the queue for eternity. But as you note, the saving is significant.

Barry

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
If you're thinking of Seville and Gibralter - here's what we did - We rented a hotel for 2 nights in Seville. We drove from Marbella to Gibralter - stayed for 2 hours (that was plenty) and then drove to Seville.

Very nice pictures Zac. Thanks for the preview. I'm going in December. Looks like I've got alot to see. Looks like you had a great time. :)

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort, MUZ or MMB?

Considering a trip in November to the Marbella area of Spain. Which Marriott property (Marbella or Playa Andaluza) for 2 adults and 2 sons (ages 17 & 23) would you recommend?

We would be there for exploring the area, so the pools/beaches aren't the most important factor. I assume it might be too cold for swimming outdoors that time of year anyway, but the boys also like an indoor pool.

Is one property newer, or have nicer units than the other?

The date I'm looking at has a 2 bedroom at Marbella or a 3 bedroom at Playa Andaluza. I'm inclined to take the larger unit at Playa unless there is something else I haven't considered. (I've done a search on this forum & read the TUG reviews. )

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
LAX Mom, I asked the same question you are asking and most people said that Marbella was closer to town for touring the area than Estapona. Estapona apparently is in a more remote area. I'm going to Marbella and will be doing day tours to other cities in Andalucia. The concierge there can email you their tours so you can plan ahead. :hi:

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
LAX Mom, I asked the same question you are asking and most people said that Marbella was closer to town for touring the area than Estapona. Estapona apparently is in a more remote area. I'm going to Marbella and will be doing day tours to other cities in Andalucia. The concierge there can email you their tours so you can plan ahead. :hi:
I saw your question and the responses. But if we have a rental car, I think it might be a better option to have the larger unit. My son is taking classes in Spain this semester and might want to bring some friends. If we have the 3 bedroom unit we would be more comfortable with they decide to join us.

Aren't they fairly close to each other?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Honestly, I haven't been so couldn't really tell you. But I'm sure with a car you'll be fine wherever. I'm not as brave with the car thing. All those traffic circles scare me and I haven't driven stick shift in more than 15 years so I'll leave the driving to the Spaniards. I was able to get a 3 bedroom in Marbella but it wasn't an exchange, it was a Getaway. Have fun. :)

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
LAX Mom

Go for the Playa unit.
Marbella has 2 indoor pools, playa has one. The indoor pool at Playa i slarger and nicer than the main one in Marbella.
Estepona (home of Playa) is 5/10 mins drive from Puerto Banus, about 20 mins from Marbella itself. It certainly isn't remote. Infact it's better located for Rhonda, Benahavis, Gibralter etc.

Yes - outdoor pools will be too cold to swim in - none of the outdoor pools are heated.

You may get rain - I was there last week Oct 2006 and it rained every day all week. When the sun came out it was warm but when it rained it was chilly.

Be prepared!
With or without rain it'll be great.

JonP

TUG Member
Reaction score
most people said that Marbella was closer to town for touring the area than Estapona.

This is incorrect as both resorts are pretty much equidistance from the centre of Marbella.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Yep, both are as convenient as each other. And personally I think Playa has a much nicer looking beach and pools. Marbella is starting to look tired outside. As for the units themselves, both are nice and differently furnished, and Marbella has spa tubs and flat screens (Playa does not).

Both are good resorts, but overall, I prefer Playa on almost every level.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions & comments. I think I'll book the 3 bedroom unit at Playa. I'd rather have the larger unit and it sounds like we would be very happy with either location.

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, both are as convenient as each other. And personally I think Playa has a much nicer looking beach and pools. Marbella is starting to look tired outside. As for the units themselves, both are nice and differently furnished, and Marbella has spa tubs and flat screens (Playa does not).

Both are good resorts, but overall, I prefer Playa on almost every level.

Dave - I don't agree. Marbella doesn't look tired to me!

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Marbella, and the resort looks great! I have no idea what you guys mean by "tired". The resort has been refurbished, and they actually have better grounds that Playa, more vegetation. I visited Playa, and I thought it is a little more crowded. Not sure why I got the feeling.

Both resorts are fabulous, so you can't go wrong with either. The beach at Marbella is not so great (a lot of stones in the water as you get in), but you can get into the water in front of Don Carlos Hotel.