• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which HGVC in Las Vegas would you stay at?

tk1780

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to a conference in late January at Caesar's Palace.

I realize that the Flamingo is across the street, but I don't mind taking a taxi.

Which of the 3 are nicer as to rooms and pool?

Thanks,

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The pool isn't going to matter in January. It's going to be to cold to swim unless you're comfortable swimming when temps are in the 50's to 60's most days. Remember, a snow storm in Vegas recently shut down McCarren airport as they don't have snow removal equipement.

We've only stayed at the LV Strip location and, if you have the points, their penthouse units are probably the nicest. The Flamingo units were recently renovated and should be in like new condition as well.

I have pics posted from our last trip to HGVC LV Strip. The room was a standard 2 bedroom unit. The penthouse units are nicer, on higher floors, have bigger windows and provide better views IMO. Still, the pics will at least give you an idea of one of the three resorts.

You can view them by clicking on the picture below or by following the link in my signature to our Webshots page.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All three are nice.

Flamingo is desirable because it's center of the strip. The units are good sized and as stated, many have been renovated of late. Flamingo also has access to the Flamingo hotel pools, but as has been stated, baring a sudden freak heat wave those pools won't be of any use to you in January. The monorail station is less than a stones throw away from the HGVC property.

"The Strip" is at the north end not far from Rivera, Sahara and Circus Circus for reference. It's the newest and most posh property of the three with nice excercise and spa facilities. It's furthest removed from the center of the strip, but just across the street from a new complex (Fontain Blu) scheduled to open sometime in 2009.

HGVC LV Hilton (aka Karen) isn't as spit and polished as the strip property, is smaller and off the strip. Still, it's very nice and I stay here often as it's close to the convention center and the monorail. It's only slightly removed from the glitz of the strip which is easily accessible via monorail or car and has the LV Hilton next door, just a couple minute walk from whatever you crave from the facility there. It's a nice balance. Of the three, self parking is the easiest here and cabs are usually readily available or a minute or two's wait after a call from the desk.

Simply for it's central location and proximity to your meeting, the Flamingo would be a no brainer but it would be hard to go wrong with any of them really.

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going to wander the strip as your main activity, I'd stay at Flamingo. Why not? We really enjoyed it - very nice. We had a one bedroom. It wasn't huge, but it was very nice.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Oh, heck, I'll say it:
The worst thing about staying a taxi ride away, is that you can be stuck in a boring lecture. You may want to duck out for a couple of hours to have a snooze in your room or to visit a "hospitality suite" to have a snootful. Either way, the Flamingo lets you wander in+out, back+forth across the street, at will.

Last edited:

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the strip location and it was very nice BUT it is down near the Strat which is the most unsafe area on the strip. Yes, you'd have to take a taxi and my DH would not let me walk to get b-fast by myself and didn't want to in that area either.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We stayed at the strip location and it was very nice BUT it is down near the Strat which is the most unsafe area on the strip. Yes, you'd have to take a taxi and my DH would not let me walk to get b-fast by myself and didn't want to in that area either.

The LV Strip isn't by the Strat. According to Google maps is 0.9 miles south of the Stratosphere. It is on the North end of the strip but, it's still south of the Saraha and south of Saraha Ave. While it's not a Prime LV Blv location, I wouldn't classify it as an unsafe area anymore than I'd classify the resort on Karen Ave. as unsafe.

Last edited:

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
The LV on the strip is actually right beside circus circus on the north side. The only thing between this location and the Stratosphere is the Sahara. I would not walk this area by myself at night because it is pretty desolate and not very well lit as well as a lot of construction. I stayed there in September and it was a beautiful location, but very inconvenient to everything on the strip. You either had to walk past a ton of construction, a long way or take a taxi. The Riviera is close too...Oh... and it is nowhere near a monorail station. Closest one is Sahara. I would recommend staying at Flamingo for location or the LV Hilton because it is conveniently located by the monorail.

SallyMagoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at the HGVC on the Strip. We found it a really easy 3-4 block walk over to the Sahara to get the monorail. You can ride the Deuce also which stops very close to the HGVC Strip, and continue on down the strip. Its cheaper than the monorail. True, you have to cross the busy Las Vegas Boulevard to get to the Sahara, and that might bother some. Some might be uncomfortable walking in that area alone at night, but I wouldn't call it a bad area, and it seemed fine walking during the day.

Sally

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, it is right next door to the Sky Las Vegas, a condo tower on the north then there is a vacant lot on the south. ;)

With the new addition of Steve Wynn's new Encore, and the new Fontainebleu, being across the street along with the Sahara now being owned by SBE Entertainment Group, there is growing potential for the south end of the Strip.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The LV on the strip is actually right beside circus circus on the north side. The only thing between this location and the Stratosphere is the Sahara. I would not walk this area by myself at night because it is pretty desolate and not very well lit as well as a lot of construction. I stayed there in September and it was a beautiful location, but very inconvenient to everything on the strip. You either had to walk past a ton of construction, a long way or take a taxi. The Riviera is close too...Oh... and it is nowhere near a monorail station. Closest one is Sahara. I would recommend staying at Flamingo for location or the LV Hilton because it is conveniently located by the monorail.

Both the Duece double decker bus and the LV Blv trolley stop right in front of HGVC LV Strip. The Duece had a $5 all day ride deal when we were there in March. The Trolley actually pulls right up onto the propety so you don't even have to walk down to the strip to get on. Both run pretty frequently and are much more cost effective than taking a taxi.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my info re the safety issue from a LV policeman and his partner so take it for what it is worth. I also belong to Las Vegas Advisor and regular people (as opposed to police) also question the safety of that area. You can disagree if you want but DH and I took no chances. JMHO, Linda
BTW, I was there in July this year!

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a bigger nicer room then the Strip location is the best. If being in walking distance of the premier properties then the Flamingo is hands down the best. You can't get a 3 BR unit at the Flamingo. The Strip location is great if you have a rental car. I have walked the street from the Strip to the Stratosphere and Sahara. Crossing the street to me seemed to be the most dangerous issue. I didn't percieve the area to be dangerous from a crime perspective.