• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which DVC is the best/surest rental?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
The owner will make the reservation for the dates you want. They'll let you know how many points it cost, and how much per point they want.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be off-topic, so please excuse, but I've had this question for awhile---can a non-DVC owner rent points from an owner or one of the big brokers and then make a reservation directly, or can they only rent a reservation already made by an existing owner? I'm assuming that either option would still be cheaper than booking directly from Disney, even during one of their specials.

I miss having DVC in II...got the chance to stay in their HHI resort, probably right before the move.

If you rent from an owner or a broker the reservation can be made online (new service) or through DVC's member services group. Is that what you were asking!

DKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own BCV and SSR, BCV is the easiest to rent out or transfer. I prefer to transfer to other owners because it is extremely easy, no checking reservations etc.

Denise

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I'm considering buying a DVC contract, and I'd like buy one with a home resort that would be easy/profitable to rent in the years we don't go. Having something that can earn at least a nominal return on the initial investment would be valuable in keeping my wife onside as well.

I would just buy what you think you might need based on the number of DVC visits and length of stay over a three year period. Disney allows you to bank and borrow points. So you can go every other year or every 3 years.

I prefer renting additional points from other members vs having lots of points and renting my points in the years we prefer to do something else. However my primary Disney strategy is to exchange into the DVC resorts since I can travel anytime during the year and rent additional DVC points whenever I need to.

There are lots of folks selling DVC reservations on various websites (for example see eBay) so there is a lot of competition. Savvy buyers, will shop around online for the best deal.

NOTE: dvcbyrequest.com is currently selling reservations for $13 a point.

Last edited:

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent points often. A point is a point, and if you are trying to maximize ROI then you need to factor upfront cost and yearly fees.

BCV may rent well in the summer, but a 300pt contract will cost about $75pp vs say a OKW at $45pp. MFs are lower at OKW and so is point usage. So how long it takes to over come that $9000 upfront cost and the $90 in MF difference.

So if you rent OKW at $10pp and BCV at $12pp (both realistic rental rates), that is a $600 per year difference, minus $90 MF diff. for a net of $510 per year difference. At that rate it will take 17.6 years of renting the BCV contract to surpass the ROI of the OKW contract.

Well said. If someone is looking at the best rental property you need to look at the ROI. As mentioned in other posts and from my own experience, I've found that many people that look to rent DVC points are not planning more than 7 months out and the vast majority of rentals are done in the 7 months and under range - at which point the home resort advantage is nullified.

I think you should also distinguish between renting out points and renting out a reservation. $10-12 is probably the best you would do renting out points, but the right reservation (like a Studio at BCV during the F&W Festival) might rent out at considerably more. October/November is "Choice Season", and a Studio is only 107 points. I would suspect that you could get $1400 ($200/night) to $2100 ($300/night) for a reservation then. Disney charges quite a bit more than that ($385-410/night + 12.5% tax, during that time).

While it is possible to get lucky and rent for more than $13 (it only takes one uninformed renter), I think it's going to be very difficult to get more than that. Last year someone had multiple reservations for rent during F&W at BWV and BCV where the price per point was $20/pt !! Needless to say those listings stayed active for quite some time and I imagine that either the price was dropped signifcantly or the reservations were cancelled.

I been on both sides of the rental and transfer process, if you know how your timeshare works (like most TUGGERS) it's not difficult at all. Further, if you find yourself spending time browsing forums talking about timeshares the little bit of incremental work required to post points for rent and make a few calls (or check online with the new system) isn't that big of a deal IMO.

I don't have a ton of points and don't rent every year, but I will say that I do enjoy renting points and helping others plan their trips.

Chris

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
After finding out that I have to do most of the work renting points through David, I posted an ads on mouseowner and rented most of my points for 2011 and 2012. I asked for $10 pp, same price as I would get from David and got the money already. It is so much easier now that we can check availability and make reservations online. I also added Magical Express and Dining plan online. I got $12 pp a few years ago. But I'd hold on to my points even at this rate for the sell price is so low after paying commission.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
mouseowners is great. I was able to rent points for what I needed in Sept @ VGC and was very pleased with the guy I worked with.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Of course if you read the disboards, you can read the constant debate on buying to rent.

If you have to charge $20 a point you are paying too much. Remember, the asking price is just an ask, not what you have to pay. If you are looking to rent them a lot, you better low ball til you get a low low ball.

OKW and SSR are large resorts, so easier to get ressies. I own at HHI and BWV. If you ever want to go to HHI (a small resort) in the summer, you should buy there to get the home court advantage. If not, then get OKW or SSR.

I have rented many times on the disboard before the Dave monopoly. I post there, so probably still could, but I might try mousesavers. Never had a problem. This year, when I wanted to rent out some extra points I "asked around" and had three people I know want to rent..so win-win. IT is about 1/2 the price of renting from Disney.

But the bigger problem I usually have is wanting more points..and I have 515!