• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where would you go in 2020 using Points?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents have messed up our plans for two trips with them so I currently have 6200 points for 2020 that I need to use. I hate renting them because I don't feel I get my value out of it. We were planning to take it easy on the travel for 2020 since we did a bunch in 2019.

Things to factor in are 5 people, of which 3 are children. Airfare starts to get expensive.

We toyed with Frenchman's Cove over Christmas and New Years but flights were like $1200-$1500 a person.
Wife said no to Hawaii. :doh:

We currently have Maui for the first half of June and I have an Alaska trip 2nd week in July.

We're in Salt Lake City so close options are Grand Chateau and the Park City (We're not skiers) resorts. In-Laws have a Cabin in Ouray, CO so that usually means no Vail or Breckenridge or Tahoe.

Besides Golf, what activities are at Canyon Villas (Phoenix)?
Do I dare try Orlando in December when school's out?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents have messed up our plans for two trips with them so I currently have 6200 points for 2020 that I need to use. I hate renting them because I don't feel I get my value out of it. We were planning to take it easy on the travel for 2020 since we did a bunch in 2019.

Things to factor in are 5 people, of which 3 are children. Airfare starts to get expensive.

We toyed with Frenchman's Cove over Christmas and New Years but flights were like $1200-$1500 a person.

We currently have Maui for the first half of June and I have an Alaska trip 2nd week in July.

We're in Salt Lake City so close options are Grand Chateau and the Park City (We're not skiers) resorts. In-Laws have a Cabin in Ouray, CO so that usually means no Vail or Breckenridge or Tahoe.

Just say no to Orlando at Christmas. Coal in your stocking would be more fun.
Loved Canyon Villas! It’s been a few years since we went but then they allowed use of the JW pools with a big lazy river.
If you want FL try Marco Island- wx should still be mid 70’s plus.

Last edited:

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the Orlando! How about Newport Coast Villas on your October break? Or, bank the points and use them at the new Costa Rica MVC when it opens.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I think Orlando is a blast at Christmas / New Year's - I'll be there later this year. Yes, the parks are crowded but we go when they open so it's not as bad.

EDIT: I'd also consider Newport Coast and San Diego for either end of the summer or December.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Orlando during Oct for Mickeys Not So scary Halloween Party, or if your kids are more adventurous, Halloween Horror Nights at Universal. Have been doing Halloween Horror nights with my son annually since he was 8. Stay at Lakeshore with nice heated lazy river!

Enjoy Alaska. We spent 2 weeks cruising Alaska in July then 6 nights land tour into Denali. It was spectacular and we are planning to do it again in 2022. It was in the 90's for our land tour of Alaska.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently have 6200 points for 2020 that I need to use ...
We toyed with Frenchman's Cove over Christmas and New Years but flights were like $1200-$1500 a person. Wife said no to Hawaii. :doh:...We're in Salt Lake City...
My first choice would be California. The Ritz Carlton in SF is wonderful and Newport Coast is nice as well and gives you access to south LA (DL, Catalina Island, etc.) as well as San Diego. Actually my first choice would be a Hawaiian Island you haven't been to much - Waiohai is one of my favorite MVC resorts and the MVC Waikoloa gives you the Big Island.

Our family of four did WDW over Xmas/New Years three years ago and again last year. It's a lot of fun and (I think for the first time) last year they added an extra 'New Years Eve' at MK on 12/30 so we did the MK on 12/30 and EPCOT on 12/31. As long as you use your fastpasses, try less 'popular' rides, and have ADRs to get a break from the crowds it's quite enjoyable. There are also a number of events they only do during that week (e.g. they brought back the Muppet performance in Liberty Square and reopened Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer island).

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
My first choice would be California. The Ritz Carlton in SF is wonderful and Newport Coast is nice as well and gives you access to south LA (DL, Catalina Island, etc.) as well as San Diego.

I would not stay at NCV again if you are going to DL as the main purpose of a trip. The drive from NCV to DL is almost an hour away. If you stay till the parks at DL or DCA close at midnight or later it is a very long and far drive.

gsb

Reaction score
Ritz Club in San Francisco is great. The Ritz Club in Aspen has three bedroom villas which are beautiful. We were there for Thanksgiving last year. We also liked, the area around Newport Coast. Lots to do there. I’ve not stayed at the Pulse in San Diego but we have enjoyed the area quite a bit.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
We love Hilton Head Island.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score

Steve - Orlando at Christmas can be pretty bad both in terms of crowds and the weather. My two kids (now 31 & 34) still will bring up what a terrible time they had as kids when we "forced them" to go to Orlando at Christmas. It can be wet, chilly and dreary. Given the situation, I think I'd base where I go on airfares first and foremost.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I would not stay at NCV again if you are going to DL as the main purpose of a trip. The drive from NCV to DL is almost an hour away. If you stay till the parks at DL or DCA close at midnight or later it is a very long and far drive.

Travel time right now from Disneyland to Newport Coast at 830pm is about 25 minutes.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

I live near NCV. It does not take an hour to get to Disneyland from there. It’s more like 20-25 minutes. If you can drive in the car pool lane, you’ll be able to get there perhaps even a little faster.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will defer to the people that live near there. My experience the week I was at NCV it took me about 50 min to get from DL parking lot back to parking at NCV. Maybe my Garmin was taking me the long way? I did drive through a lot of residential neighborhoods to and from DL.

For me, even a 25 min drive at midnight is not fun when yoqu are exhausted from being at the park for 8 hours or so.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
We're trying Hilton Head's Barony this year, we'll see how that goes :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I will defer to the people that live near there. My experience the week I was at NCV it took me about 50 min to get from DL parking lot back to parking at NCV. Maybe my Garmin was taking me the long way? I did drive through a lot of residential neighborhoods to and from DL.

For me, even a 25 min drive at midnight is not fun when yoqu are exhausted from being at the park for 8 hours or so.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Nothing in SoCal is less than a 20 minute drive. o_O

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if my wife will go for Marco Island again. She said she'd consider Costa Rica but that means banking points and I hate banking points. Plus it means I'll run through this same exercise again in 2021.

I presented San Fran to her and she shot that down. Poop and Needles are the main reason. :LOL:
I proposed HHI between Oct - Dec and that was a no. She wants to go to the family cabin in October.
She's open to international as my kids asked for it. I think this is where Costa Rica fits in or Cancun if the programs merge.

Maybe I'll just do nothing and have another busy year of vacations in 2021.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I'm wondering if my wife will go for Marco Island again. She said she'd consider Costa Rica but that means banking points and I hate banking points. Plus it means I'll run through this same exercise again in 2021.

I presented San Fran to her and she shot that down. Poop and Needles are the main reason. :LOL:
I proposed HHI between Oct - Dec and that was a no. She wants to go to the family cabin in October.
She's open to international as my kids asked for it. I think this is where Costa Rica fits in or Cancun if the programs merge.

Have you considered trading DC points in II? I know that for the most part that is a terrible value prop, but maybe you could get something in Cancun or Riviera Maya in November (which is an awesome time to be there - low crowds and after rainy/hurricane season is over). I've occasionally seen Lagunamar pop op in searches.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered trading DC points in II? I know that for the most part that is a terrible value prop, but maybe you could get something in Cancun or Riviera Maya in November (which is an awesome time to be there - low crowds and after rainy/hurricane season is over). I've occasionally seen Lagunamar pop op in searches.

No, I will never deposit points in II. If it comes down to that, I’ll just rent my points out for cash and not be tied to II.

Vacation1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Desert in November can be very nice. If you golf - some of the courses will be closed for seeding. Other than that fun and relaxing.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Have you been to Ocean Pointe in Florida? We are going for a dew days in April. Friends of ours went last year and loved it. Ocean, big pools and close to West Palm. Just a thought.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing in SoCal is less than a 20 minute drive. o_O
When I stay at VGC it is at most a 45 minute walk from Grizzy River Run back to my room

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the Village Ille de France - loved it there, It was so quaint, beautiful grounds and gardens - with a Disney property close by (smaller one, didnt go, daughter beyond the age ) and a short train ride into Paris. We plan to return to this property - as well as to Marbella - in the next few years.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

Hi Steve,
We were able to book a week at Marco Island over Christmas this year (3 bedroom) using about that many points you have. Felt lucky to grab it and there may be limited availability by now. I actually booked it less than a month ago. I know Florida weather can be iffy in Dec. keeping our fingers crossed.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on our experiences when traveling with family (depending how old your kids are), these would be my suggestions based on timing of trip:
(Note: I've not included summer months or Oct since you already have plans
March -May, Nov:
Phoenix Canyon Villas: Sunny, warm, use of pools and lazy river at the JW Marriott (except some weekends), golf, desert hiking, musical instruments museum, good restaurants nearby, day trips to Sedona or Flagstaff. You can also add a couple of nights in Flagstaff to visit the Grand Canyon.
NCV: beautiful location with coastal sunset views, nice resort pools and fitness center, walking beach nearby, Laguna beach close, Disneyland and Knots Berry Farm,
Our favorite attraction has been the San Diego zoo about an hour drive, or you can add a short stay at the SD Pulse
Marco Island or Singer Island: All three MVC resorts are on the beach and have good resort facilities (Oceana Palms has small footprint but great villas and balcony), good restaurants nearby, Everglades, (We now prefer Marco Island over others, but all are nice)
Hilton Head resorts: Lots of activities and restaurants, decent weather, great beaches, we also enjoy long hikes in the public parks (yesterday we saw alligators, giant blue herons, wood stork, and several other bird species)

I am no longer a fan of Orlando because I refuse to subsidize the pockets of greedy Disney executives to stand in long lines and eat mediocre food. We were fortunate to enjoy many great family vacations at Royal Palms and Disney prior to the Eisner era.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't mention Tahoe as an option. They have 3BR units there and it could check some boxes if you go in non-ski season.

I love the Disneyland Paris idea.

Not sure why banking points is such a horrible option.