• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

where to buy euros for Italy trip

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
We leave for Italy in 2 weeks and I am wondering where to get euros. Should we wait and use the ATM when we arrive? I have used AAA in the past and find their fee to be very high. They want $112 for 70 euros. any suggestions? Thanks

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will get your best rate at an ATM machine. I can't remember specifically where we got our Euros in Rome, but I'm sure it was at an ATM - I think we used the machine by baggage claim. Make sure your card will work in Europe. You may need to have only a 4 digit code - and know the code in numbers, not letters. Many, most, or all the ATMs will only have numbers, not letters on the keys.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't need any until you land in Italy. I'd get 'em at a bank ATM at the airport there, obviously using either a Cap 1 or credit union debit card. If you are arriving at an odd hour or feel you want to get settled into a lodging or a car and headed out, you might get a small amount at AAA or your bank.

70 Euros should be about $100 at $1.40 each. Official rate today is $1.36 and change. Up this week from $1.34ish Monday. You won't get that lowest rate, but you can get pretty close using bank ATM's. The direction the exchange is going, I'd withdraw the daily maximum. Small withdrawals eat you up with fees.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I always get some Euros before leaving the States, so I can hit the ground running with one less task to deal with on arrival. By that time, I just want to find my hotel, not go looking for an ATM (even though I do use 'em).

I would not use AAA... they rely on Travelex and the rates are quite poor.
Dealing in person with a local bank (which I have done) is only slightly better.

I recommend ordering foreign currency from Wells Fargo online.
The rates are okay and with 2-day Fed-X delivery, its a breeze.
You do not need an account, just a CC
.. there may be a cash-advance fee so cover it quickly.

Here's the website: https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreignexchange/

Oanda also offers foreign currency delivery and its worth comparing to Wells Fargo.
See: http://www.oanda.com/currency/traveler-cash

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
BANK ATMs in Italy were a lot less hassle than doing the conversions at home. I do take some ready cash in their currency, but just enough to cover the cash tips, etc. You might need before going to the bank there...but I've made more use of Amex there than cash...and be sure to get a money belt or something secure from pickpockets (which I've never seen but have heard there's a risk).

Brian

Jamerican71

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to Germany in November --- dumb question - how do you figure out what the best rate is between local bank vs. wells fargo vs atm in germany? I do want to travel with some Euros though but not sure how much???

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely get SOME Euros before you go. I landed in Florence in the early morning on a Sunday. The ATM at the airport wasn't working and none of the taxi drivers accepted cash other than Euros.

I had to scout and search for a cab that would accept a credit card.

Could have saved a great deal of headache and time (especially after that long flight) had I managed to get at least $50 worth of Euros before I arrived.