• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where in Hawaii for family vacation?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tentatively planning a Hawaii family vacation around Xmas. Would likely be 9 or 10 days in duration. My kids are early teen and pre-teen. My wife and I have been to Hawaii (Oahu), and for us it was very "meh" -- too crowded, not that scenic, etc. But my kids want to go to Hawaii, so............help me decide on an island/resort.

Here's the criteria:

Decent resort (we like "down" days occasionally, where we don't do much)
Access to a nice beach area nearby -- ideally on or walk to from resort
Good scenery that's moderately easy to drive and/or hike to
Access to touristy type Hawaiian things (luau, tours, etc.)
Access to reasonably priced golf (not a must-have)

A realize that this isn't particularly specific. In essence, we're seeking a good mix of nature and tourist type things. Somewhere that will scratch my kid's Hawaii itch. A co-worker, who was born and raised in Hawaii, thinks Maui might be best. Thoughts?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Christmas/New Years are the highest demand and most expensive time to go to Hawaii for both accommodations and airfare. If money is no object, Maui is a good choice for families.

*It will be near impossible to get an exchange for this timeframe.

*I would not expect anything to be "reasonably priced." ;)

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
First, is this exchange thru RCI or II.

Second, what are you using for your exchange: your home resort, bedrooms, etc.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, is this exchange thru RCI or II.

Second, what are you using for your exchange: your home resort, bedrooms, etc.

RCI Points. Require 2BR.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kaanapali/ Lahaina area of Maui. I'm not a fan of the big resorts there- Marriott, Hyatt and similar, but there are plenty of others and tons of vrbo's to fit any budget. And Maui Brewing is close. Biking down Haleakala, snorkeling, whale watching, etc. etc, all available that time of year.

Jim

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Christmas/New Years are the highest demand and most expensive time to go to Hawaii for both accommodations and airfare. If money is no object, Maui is a good choice for families.

*It will be near impossible to get an exchange for this timeframe.

*I would not expect anything to be "reasonably priced." ;)

What I meant is - if I'm paying $250 for a round of golf, it's not going to be in Hawaii.

I have a match for an OGS (Kauai) as we speak. May be rare, but not impossible. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Not that big of deal. Hawaii is not high on my list.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Where did you get a match?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think to get a 2 br during that time frame you are going to have to take what you can get. For points inventory you can't start an ongoing search but you might want to do one for weeks inventory anyway. My gut tells me that Shell might deposit a Paniolo Greens Resort unit or two. It has some of what you are looking for but not easy beach access.

A 2 br walk to beach resort on Maui through RCI for 7-10 days over Christmas and New Years holiday is very very unlikely to happen.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think to get a 2 br during that time frame you are going to have to take what you can get. For points inventory you can't start an ongoing search but you might want to do one for weeks inventory anyway. My gut tells me that Shell might deposit a Paniolo Greens Resort unit or two. It has some of what you are looking for but not easy beach access.

A 2 br walk to beach resort on Maui through RCI for 7-10 days over Christmas and New Years holiday is very very unlikely to happen.

Understood. I don't mean to imply that I have to have all of those things or that this has to be this year or that it even has to be a TS based trip. Just trying to initially determine which island/resort would be a good fit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With a family, I'd avoid the Big Island until they get Dengue Fever under control.

Some of the resorts on Kauai are very quiet, and some are very busy, so it depends on which resort you got.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
With a family, I'd avoid the Big Island until they get Dengue Fever under control.

Some of the resorts on Kauai are very quiet, and some are very busy, so it depends on which resort you got.

Pono Kai Resort

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai is an ocean front resort in the middle of Kapa'a, but a quieter resort. I like it, but you will have to drive to most activities. However, to get anything for Christmas is great, so I'd hesitate to throw it back.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Given your criteria and experience with Oahu, I'd second the recommendation for Maui/Kaanapali.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pono Kai is an ocean front resort in the middle of Kapa'a, but a quieter resort. I like it, but you will have to drive to most activities. However, to get anything for Christmas is great, so I'd hesitate to throw it back.

Right -- scoped it out on satellite map. Slightly worried about boredom/disappointment. Would rather do it right than settle, given that it would be my kids first trip to Hawaii, and likely my last.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For lots of onsite activities, you really need one of the Mega-resorts on Ka'anapali Beach, or the Marriott's on Kauai. Extremely difficult to get for Christmas.

Last edited:

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Poipu area of Kauai, Suite Paradise is a good agency.

We like Lahaina/Kaanapali area on Maui, lots of condo rentals, Kihei worth a look, some good beaches down there.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd head for Maui. Next to Oahu, it has the most amenities, without the big city feeling of Honolulu.

I love the Big Island, but it's a lot of driving.

Frankly, and I'm ducking as I write this, didn't care that much for Kauai, wouldn't go back.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For lots of onsite activities, you really need one of the Mega-resorts on Ka'anapali Beach, or the Marriott's on Kauai. Extremely difficult to get for Christmas.

Don't have to have activities onsite, per se. But a resort that makes one feel like they're at a resort would be nice. Doesn't need to be a Marriott, but family-oriented pools, etc. Pono Kai looks like the type of place that would be great for a couple looking for a relaxing break, but not so great for a family. That's my impression from online pic's, anyway. Could be wrong.

As I said, given that it's going to cost an arm and a leg just in airfare, I'm not going to limit our experience by RCI availability.

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott & Westin are in II, so forget those. I don't think you'll see any Hyatt's. For HGVC, you'll have to wait until April/May of this year for their bulk deposits for 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Pono Kai Resort

I'd say go for it.

Kauai is not as buzy as Maui but there will be plenty to do in Kapa'a There is a 8 mile long beach walk/bike trail

Driving either north to Princeville/Hanalei bay is easy and Driving south to Poipu isn't to bad either.

Good Luck

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For Kauai, I also give a vote for Pono Kai, just don't expect Marriott/Westin quality and amenities. Also be aware that although Pono Kai has a beach, it's not a swim-able beach because of rip currents, but there is a beach near by that you can walk to. If you get a 2-BDRM on the 3rd floor, you could get a 2-BDRM that also has an upstairs loft.

For Kauai, there are a couple of Wyndham's between Pono Kai and the airport that you could look at.

For Maui, I see Sands of Kahana has 2-BDRM's available for December. What ever you do, Do Not Say at Kahana Falls.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Frankly, and I'm ducking as I write this, didn't care that much for Kauai, wouldn't go back.

No reason to duck, Bev. That's the best thing about Hawaii - each island has its own appeal. And as the signature line somebody here has, "If you like Kauai, send your friends to Maui." ;)

I tend to agree with Maui as a better choice, if trying to occupy teenagers. Lots to do there, if location and budget can be made to fit. Certainly no chance of being bored.

The thing for OP to consider is how they like to vacation. If it's a "lay on the beach all day" vacation, then Maui beaches are pretty great. If it's a natural sites kind of thing, then driving is in order, and in some cases, LOTS of driving. If the kids want to see a live volcano, then only the Big Island will serve - but that means sacrificing great beaches on most of the island.

Pono Kai is a nice place - good, not great, but has a central location that works well for a leaping off point to see other parts of the island. Kauai has a slower pace, but it's also not as crowded, and likely not as expensive as the fancier places. It depends on how OP wants to spend the vacation time.

Dave

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I would consider the summer over XMAS. I suggest pricing out the two to compare. I believe XMAS prices are higher than summer for airfare, car rentals and hotel /condo rental rates. Less Availability mean higher demand and higher prices.

Also, if you choose a summer visit, you'll have more resorts to choose from if you search across all possible summer dates. Keep in mind, summer is also peak travel time (with the height of demand starting from mid June through mid August for two bedrooms or larger).

Good Luck :)