• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where does the “Trust” Own?

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
Are there any disclosures that tell us where the the Trust owns intervals? I know some resorts are completely owned within the Trust. In other cases intervals came into the Trust by defaults, resales, ROFR, etc. I am curious to know more.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Europe, there is no Trust ownership at any of the resorts.
in Asia , there is a different but interworking set of Points ownership.
Phuket Beach Club is the only resort here with a mix of Weeks and Asia Pacific Points ownership, all other resorts here are Points only ownership.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The Trust is a U.S. Land Trust, so it can currently only own real estate in US and territories, thus not Europe, St Kitts, Aruba, etc. Also, no Boston Custom House since that is a RTU property.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The setup in Asia Pacific, apart from Weeks ownership at Phuket Beach Club the first resort there, is
”Marriott Vacation Club, Asia-Pacific is a proprietary club (the "Singapore Club") owned by Club Resorts No. 1 Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd., ("Club Owner") which is responsible for providing its members with the right to use and enjoy the Club Resort Properties that are a part of the Singapore Club, in accordance with the Club Constitution, Disclosure Document and Club Guidelines, and other of the Club Governing Documents.”

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It's all smoke and mirrors. Club. Trust. Points. Deeded interest in land. Banking, borrowing, extend points that don't exist into the future due to COVID. Or it's a completely legitimate program with complete transparency and no overlap of usage intervals and rights.

You choose, and you'll probably be partially right. :doh:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's all smoke and mirrors. Club. Trust. Points. Deeded interest in land. Banking, borrowing, extend points that don't exist into the future due to COVID. Or it's a completely legitimate program with complete transparency and no overlap of usage intervals and rights.

You choose, and you'll probably be partially right. :doh:
I think it's in between with a little of both though far more to the legitimate side.. With points AND floating weeks all you really have is the opportunity to make a reservation. There is the guarantee that it was there at some point but not that they have what you want and not even that a reservation is available at all using what you own if you miss part of the reservation time frame. If one delays they may indeed have no workable options and in some cases, no options available at all with either one. That's why I believe that you either need to plan well ahead or be very flexible as a minimum, it's easiest of you can do both. I've come to learn over the years that one person's flexible is not the same as another's. There is a subset of people that say they're flexible but really aren't to the degree that's required. For example, they may say they're flexible but mean they can take either week 26 OR week 27 at a beach location. Or they're tied to school calendar's or have similar restrictions. If you can be as flexible as Steve Fatula then you can really make out but most of us can't be that flexible. It ultimately comes down to understanding the system including what you are and are not getting, understanding your personal limitations and putting in the effort to make it work.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I think it's in between with a little of both though far more to the legitimate side.. With points AND floating weeks all you really have is the opportunity to make a reservation. There is the guarantee that it was there at some point but not that they have what you want and not even that a reservation is available at all using what you own if you miss part of the reservation time frame. If one delays they may indeed have no workable options and in some cases, no options available at all with either one. That's why I believe that you either need to plan well ahead or be very flexible as a minimum, it's easiest of you can do both. I've come to learn over the years that one person's flexible is not the same as another's. There is a subset of people that say they're flexible but really aren't to the degree that's required. For example, they may say they're flexible but mean they can take either week 26 OR week 27 at a beach location. Or they're tied to school calendar's or have similar restrictions. If you can be as flexible as Steve Fatula then you can really make out but most of us can't be that flexible. It ultimately comes down to understanding the system including what you are and are not getting, understanding your personal limitations and putting in the effort to make it work.
Yes, and you bring up another point of hocus pocus. No one knows exactly how the Club acquires its inventory of weeks for itself, although there is a consensus that they do not have a cadre of workers that get up at 6am PT and either login or call in to reserve those weeks for the club like we all have to (and NO, there is no such thing as a separate bucket, they are an owner just like the rest of us under the CC&Rs).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and you bring up another point of hocus pocus. No one knows exactly how the Club acquires its inventory of weeks for itself, although there is a consensus that they do not have a cadre of workers that get up at 6am PT and either login or call in to reserve those weeks for the club like we all have to (and NO, there is no such thing as a separate bucket, they are an owner just like the rest of us under the CC&Rs).
This has been an area of interest for me and I've explored it quite a bit though not to the level of senior management. As I see it there are 4 main options. They are:
  1. MVC reserves a week then makes it available to reserve with DC & Trust points.
  2. MVC assigns the underlying deeded week of the owner to be reserved with points.
  3. MVC assigns time that corresponds with the # of points to be reserved at a given resort within a season.
  4. MVC assigns a proportionate number of weeks corresponding to the weeks given up for points plus those in the trust.
The first is impractical because it means either the points system is always behind if they do it as a single owner would or it means they can reserve ANYTHING they want at any time if they use the combined force of their control with the 13 month priority. The latter would be like owning 52 weeks at say Maui in the same villa type. Fixed weeks are unique and I assume they flow directly into points availability but I have no experience in this area.

The second likely the most fair but might be a little more difficult to administer. The fourth similar and likely the best balance of simplicity an fairness.

The third is what I've come to believe is the method for floating week resorts. As I see it this option gives points reservations a big advantage over single week owners or those who are only reserving 2 weeks at a time. It also means the points can all go after the higher demand weeks disproportionately, esp if the higher demand weeks are earlier in the season like Aruba or HHI Platinum time as an example. Obviously status plays a role.

I'm curious if anyone has additional information on this issue.