• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When do you plan to retire and first trip

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Honestly no matter what happens with healthcare in the US I don’t ever see the preexisting cause or coverage until 26 going away.

We are very fortunate to have health coverage until Medicare kicks in, my DH complains bitterly that they switched to Medicare half way through his career. I guess it’s all about expectations. He specifically chose his career looking for a pension and early retirement. He is a lucky man that he loves his job so much so that he will do an extra 3.5 years with no further retirement accumulation while paying in an extra 20k/yr towards his pension.

I would prefer he retire yesterday but I am starting to get excited about making plans for our future travels.

Why do you not see pre-existing and age 26 going away? A federal appeals court may any day now uphold a lower court ruling that the ACA is unconstitutional. Then, it presumably would go to the Supreme Court for final adjudication with a ruling possible by next summer. If they uphold the prior rulings, about 21,000,000 people will be without healthcare, immediately. Many of those will be unable to get replacement healthcare due to pre-existing conditions or they will simply not be able to afford the cost. This isn’t getting much press right now due to everything else that’s in the news, but if it happens, it is going to be catastrophic.

I hope you’re right but I don’t share your optimism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Honestly no matter what happens with healthcare in the US I don’t ever see the preexisting cause or coverage until 26 going away.

We are very fortunate to have health coverage until Medicare kicks in, my DH complains bitterly that they switched to Medicare half way through his career. I guess it’s all about expectations. He specifically chose his career looking for a pension and early retirement. He is a lucky man that he loves his job so much so that he will do an extra 3.5 years with no further retirement accumulation while paying in an extra 20k/yr towards his pension.

I would prefer he retire yesterday but I am starting to get excited about making plans for our future travels.

Why do you not see pre-existing and age 26 going away? The Supreme Court may rule any day now that the ACA is unconstitutional. If they do, about 21,000,000 people will be without healthcare, immediately. Many of those will be unable to get replacement healthcare due to pre-existing conditions or they will simply not be able to afford the cost. This isn’t getting much press right now due to everything else that’s in the news, but if it happens, it is going to be catastrophic.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Why do you not see pre-existing and age 26 going away? The Supreme Court may rule any day now that the ACA is unconstitutional. If they do, about 21,000,000 people will be without healthcare, immediately. Many of those will be unable to get replacement healthcare due to pre-existing conditions or they will simply not be able to afford the cost. This isn’t getting much press right now due to everything else that’s in the news, but if it happens, it is going to be catastrophic.

Well, I just don’t. Call it optimism or pessimism. No matter where you stand on the issue I believe there would be such a universal out cry if either of these where rolled back that it won’t happen.

Plenty of people purchased Health Insurance prior to the ACA and IF it is repealed I am sure they will again. We still have plenty of uninsured in this country.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I just don’t. Call it optimism or pessimism. No matter where you stand on the issue I believe there would be such a universal out cry if either of these where rolled back that it won’t happen.

Plenty of people purchased Health Insurance prior to the ACA and IF it is repealed I am sure they will again. We still have plenty of uninsured in this country.
I heard an interview with Seema Verma (CMS Director) today and she was asked directly several times if there was a plan to deal with the millions of uninsured if the ACA is struck down and she did not have an answer. So, there is no plan. I assume the court would allow a timeframe for congress to pass a substitute but do you actually think this congress and president can actually agree on something? I don’t. This is probably getting close to breaching the TUG rules, so I’ll stop now.

geekette

Reaction score

This is not accurate. First, no one is ever without healthcare, it is always a matter of Who Pays.

Second, there is no immediate loss of coverage. Every insurance plan is calendar year; it's a contract bound by the policy and continued payment on that policy. I know of no insurance company that would suddenly refuse premiums already agreed to be paid. It is also not quite possible for insurers to suddenly change their policies, here at open enrollment time. Whatever is being bought now, is the deal for 2020.

Nobody should fear suddenly not being able to go to the doctor because that will never be true. There is also no big rush to "lock down" an insurance policy for 2020 just in case laws change. If anything, you'd see a sudden emergence of very cheap plans covering very little for young people, and very pricey slim coverage for older folks. Buyer beware. Insurance is tricky and is designed to profit the company, not the insured.

SmileLynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai, KBV, & Ka Eo Kai
Jan 1, 2015, just turning 64, DH retired after 42 1/2 years. 7 days later we were in Kauai for 13 weeks. It was a hard decision to retire being 8 12 years younger, but after DH was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease a few years prior, we didnt know how well we could travel if we waited 9 more years. So we had a plan. Travel now, take pictures, and relive the memoreis when we no longer could travel. Fortunately, we were offered good health insurance as part of his retirement package for less than $500/mo combined.
We are Wyndham owners and visited 56 of their properities since retirement. The memories piled up and we met so many wonderful Wyndham owners and Tuggers! The places were great but the people were outstanding! We looked forward to meeting up with different couples all over the country. We attended the annual Wyndham meetings and the annual Tugger get togethers in January in Orlando.
Thanksgiving Day 2018, DH unexpectedly passed away, not from PD, but a pulmonary embolism. Its been a rough year. I never thought Id be a widow before 60. I dont know what I would have done without the wonderful friends we made in those 3 3/4 years. They picked me up & put me back in motion instead of letting me become dormant this past winter in Iowa and the rest of the year.
So... dont wait, plan that vacation/retirement and go at it with gusto and no regrets! Who knows what tomorrow brings.
Oh, by the way, Ill be at the Annual Wyndham meeting in Austin and the TUG get together in Orlando in January. Introduce yourself. I love meeting new people!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
So sorry for your loss.

My mother was widowed at 58. She is 78 now and very busy. I call her the Social Butterfly because she is never home.

I am so glad you have those wonderful memories.

All my best.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I turned 49 this year. I am not sure when we will retire. We are in good financial health. We just paid off the mortgage. We max out our 401K contributions. We basically live very nicely on my take home pay and bank my wifes.

However, we have 2 kids who are juniors in HS and will be starting college in 2021. One of them wants to be a Dentist and the other one Virologist(wants to work for the CDC). Schooling will be expensive. We have saved money in a 529 plan to cover a 4-year college, but not post graduate.

So, I don't think we can retire before schooling ends which will probably be 2029. We will be 59 at that time. I guess we will have to see what we have in investments and what is the status of health insurance (medicaid for all?)

I don't really have any sort of trip planned to celebrate our retirement. There are a bunch of trips I would like to make while I am still working. Trying to convince the wife to go on safari.

All we can do now is to continue on our path and try to make good decisions.

Joe

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if those of you who are retired really don't work at all?

It may be different for us, because we have a business, but we cannot imagine ever not working at all. My husband has scaled down and he thinks that when he does "retire", he will work about half time. His long term plan is to take a full week off each quarter and a long weekend per month, but never close his business and stop working.

geekette

Reaction score

It may be different for us, because we have a business, but we cannot imagine ever not working at all. My husband has scaled down and he thinks that when he does "retire", he will work about half time. His long term plan is to take a full week off each quarter and a long weekend per month, but never close his business and stop working.
I'm looking forward to responses to this question, and I think it all boils down to how one defines "work".

While I do not currently have an employer, I am busy finishing a faux fur coat (and other items) for a craft fair in one week. I am toiling with expectation of financial reward, but it's kind of fun, except when it's not (ugh, so many seams I've had to rip...) I will be very careful to say, I am not building a business, it is monetizing a hobby. There will be no empire nor employees, and while I don't fear getting fired, I do fear getting too many custom orders. My objective is to reduce stress and replace with art therapy. If I get over-deadlined, I'm right back in the pressure-cooker that I seek to avoid. I already have 2 custom orders, one that will be quick, the other more complicated. I have decided to not put up a sign about accepting custom orders at the show but depending on audience engagement, I may come out of there with a few. If someone loves this piece but it's wrong size, I would absolutely remake one in correct size. I think I could like that deadline of "someone likes my stuff!"

I may at some time pick up a part time job at grocery store, SBUX or fabric store. If I do that, there will be benefits involved, plus a discount. At this point in my life, there is no reason to work for someone else unless there is more than money to it. Many people want me to do Etsy or put my stuff on my own website, etc., but I am not doing that. I want to spend the bulk of my time doing what I want and reducing administrative overhead as much as possible. For what I'm making, every piece unique, web selling would be a massive time suck. And I honestly do not at all want to be a shipper or deal with returns.

I'm 54 and calling this semi-retirement. I don't think I want my career back but I reserve the right to change my mind.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

We have different philosophies here.

Me Never worked a day after retirement and do not plan to after 12 1/2 yrs

wife Had a daycare in the house. She substitutes at a local daycare. She works two days a week unless physical problems or trips interfere.

We do not need the cash. She says she would miss working with kids.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

When dh and I retired his theory was that we'd both need to take part time jobs, not for the money, but to keep busy. His idea is that you have to have a reason to get up in the morning. Fast forward 7 years and neither one of us has held a paying job since then. We've found so much to do to keep us busy that we haven't needed the jobs.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

I feel the same way, although I'm well short of retirement age so maybe in a few decades I'll feel differently. I expect to slowly slow down over a period of years working less and less until I'm down to "hobby" levels. I can work remotely as well, so it doesn't interfere with travelling.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I retired a little over seven years ago but not before checking with our financial advisor as to whether we afford to retire and do the travel we wanted to do. The answer was positive.

I have not worked a paying job since I walked out the door and have turned down two very lucrative short-term (6-8 weeks) assignments in my field of expertise. Part of retiring is not having work-related stress and IMO as long as I had a work-related responsibility I was going to have work-related stress/anxiety.

Now I volunteer at our church, an elementary school and a retiree association but I know I can walk away from those at any time if I desire.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Medical debt itself is not the bankruptcy cause. It is trying everything to erase it that harms people. I might not have my radiation paid off for another 2 years, or, I could sell stock and settle it right now, but harm my future. I can co-exist with the payments for years better than I can co-exist with my sister if I sold my house to settle all costs I have and will incur.

I am fully willing to pay a fair price for care I need, I just might not always be able to pay the whole thing immediately. Finding a hospital system that cares about the people more than prompt in full payment has been beneficial to me in being able to continue treatment, and payments. My most important doctor writes all of my appointments off. there are no supplies used, and she is salary. No real cost to hospital, just not a profit. At some point after I have everything paid off, I know exactly where donation dollars are going: that hospital. Cutting me a break when I needed it is massive reason to return the favor later. Way better use of my funds than continuing insurance payments.

Not sure about 100 years ago, but certainly large quantities of women died needlessly since we were not economically necessary and not seen as physically different from men (where all the research was). We still lose far too many to childbirth.

Seems to me that if your town had a doctor, he might accept a chicken in payment. Insurance companies weren't in the health market so there was no middleman between person and doctor. Not sure that doctors were wealthy back then, they wanted to heal people and weren't under threat of lawsuit. Costs have piled in from areas not related to direct treatment of patients.

Based on your rationale I assume you also don't by home insurance?

This is rolling the dice. Costs can easily reach a million or more if something unforeseen occurs. $600/month savings will go nowhere near the ability to cover this - especially if you contract a disease that requires specialists at another hospital that don't "trade chickens."

And youth doesn't help. We had a healthy teen relative who had complications of an illness where the costs ran to a million dollars. Thank goodness there was insurance. His family, who was financially secure, would have drained their retirement, lost their home and their lives would have been completely altered if there was no insurance. (The teen is better now.).

So if you are willing to protect your home, why would you put off saving your life? or are you expecting the taxpayers to bail you out after you go bankrupt?

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We don't work for money at all after we retired 3.5 years ago. We still wake up at around 6am 7 days a week. My days are filled with golf a couple of times a week, volunteering at a non-profit, gym, cards with a couple of ladies groups and cooking dinners.

I made sure that our financial health on paper is good before retiring. I have on Excel our 30+-year budget, i.e. income vs expenses. We have money in buckets and include a bucket that won't be tapped for 3 decades until I need it or if I die before, it goes to my estate.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

There has been a universal outcry on many issues (e.g. guns after mass shootings) but nothing has changed. Why do you think this will be any different?

The biggest reason for bankruptcy prior to the ACA was unpaid medical costs.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have not been employed in over a year now and just like I always said when I did work- "I have no time to work".

Actually- just living life and dealing with day to day responsibilities is enough work for me. And obviously with just selling our home and moving I have been crazy busy above and beyond what I normally am.

If I ever get to the point where I have a a true "retired" type lifestyle, I might- and that is a BIG MIGHT- do a very part-time per diem type gig in the tourism industry where we are moving. Like a tour guide at a museum or something like that. MAYBE.

But I will have enough to do for a very long time with moving to a new home in a new area.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
There has been a universal outcry on many issues (e.g. guns after mass shootings) but nothing has changed. Why do you think this will be any different?

The biggest reason for bankruptcy prior to the ACA was unpaid medical costs.

I am not interested in a political debate here but your example is flawed, your definition of universal is strictly one sided. I will leave it at that.

I will add I have no dog in any fight on ACA. I only stated that I believed certain pieces would never be rolled back because they are now universally excepted. Just an opinion not meant to be a needle in anyone’s eye or a political view.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am not interested in a political debate here but your example is flawed, your definition of universal is strictly one sided. I will leave it at that.

The fact you accept that ACA provisions are Universally agreed upon and therefore will be protected speaks volumes. Suggest you stop wasting your time reading Fakebook news stream filter bubbles and get an outside perspective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

(I have stopped using Fakebook and added tracking blockers to my searches for this reason...)

Last edited:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
This is a nice thread on retirement plans and travel, let’s get back to that topic please.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

My wife thinks that she will get a job at Starbucks to have some spending money. I told her she is crazy. At even $20/hr it doesnt pay when it will taxed at higher bracket on top of our income. I however would consider a consulting gig with my current firm. Since they would probably pay me on 1099 basis, it would have to be at 2X my hourly salary rate to make sense. Of course you know what they say about best laid plans.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My wife thinks that she will get a job at Starbucks to have some spending money. I told her she is crazy. At even $20/hr it doesnt pay when it will taxed at higher bracket on top of our income. I however would consider a consulting gig with my current firm. Since they would probably pay me on 1099 basis, it would have to be at 2X my hourly salary rate to make sense. Of course you know what they say about best laid plans.
My plan was to get a job at Chico's because I love their clothing. And funny thing, I was offered a job there when I wasn't even looking. I was in the store shopping and was talking to one of the area managers. I thought about it for about a minute, then decided "No".