• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wheel chair accessible in New Orleans

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We made reservation over a year ago for the Quarter House. We are so excited. Last summer I was diagnosed with dermamyositis/polymositis. It is an autoimmune disease that affects your muscles. I was doing pretty good. And starting to feel good b.before Christmas and then I had a flare up. I am now pretty weak. I need blankets on chairs to be able to lift myself up. I can walk level ground pretty good but very slow .........hills and stairs exhaust me. I am on the mend but I have to rebuild all the muscle I lost. I pretty much stayed inside all of January and i really need to get out. I don't really want a wheel chair but I will. I was wondering if I should just bring one down with me or has anyone ever rented one down there. Are the sidewalks good for wheelchairs. I know we will be taking it easy and I'm glad the Quarter House is so centrally located. Never had to deal with this before.......what are your thoughts.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to have problems in New Orleans with a wheelchair

The quarter house is actually several attached buildings and the hallways dont always line up. There are twists and turns and steps up or down as you move from building to building. with some luck they will be able to keep you on the first floor

Sidewalks are narrow and often uneven. and the streetcars (my preferred way of getting around) will be difficult for you to use.

Having said that. I wouldnt stay home. with a little help from your traveling companions, I bet you can overcome the problems and have a great time

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Ron. NO is not very accessible. However, if you are willing to take cabs, it is doable. There are many places here that you can visit in a wheelchair/scooter: Riverwalk, Zoo, Aquarium, WWII Museum, riverboat cruises, etc... You could take a cab to all restaurants.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I visited NO along time ago for just one day, that's kind of what I remember about the sidewalks. I think we will make it work. After all, I can be in wonderful NO in warmer weather or the smog inversion Northern Utah. I love Utah but not so much this time of the year.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I visited NO along time ago for just one day, that's kind of what I remember about the sidewalks.

They are the same sidewalks! Haven't changed a bit!

Edit: Wrong! They're the same sidewalks and they're worse now.

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try the public parks

I'm in New Orleans now and have noticed how poorly their sidewalks are taken care of. Most are cracked, heaving and in need if leveling. I would still encourage you to come with an able bodied companion. After all, it's just what the doctor ordered, right? May I suggest an outing at Audobon Park or City Park? They seem to be the exception to the rule with wonderful maintained asphalt paths. I wish you the best!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any places in NOLA that rent wheelchairs. I looked for a wheelchair rental in NOLA when my nephew graduated from Loyola around 2012. I couldn't find a place that rented them. Once I got to NOLA, I realized why -- it just isn't very wheelchair-friendly. Bad sidewalks, and few (or no) handicapped restrooms.

However, if you can walk some on level ground and will have companions to help you, you should probably go anyway. I am glad I went to my nephew's graduation.

When I couldn't find a rental, I ended up buying a wheelchair at the last minute from Amazon. The price was great (about $140) and I used my Prime membership for $4 overnight shipping. (Otherwise, overnight shipping would have been about $50.)

Airlines will transport your wheelchair for you at no charge. When you book your flight, there will be a place to request assistance. You should state that you are bringing a wheelchair. If you want to take your wheelchair to the gate, you will need an inspection tag for your wheelchair from either the skycaps or the ticket counter. Then, you will need to get a gate check tag when you arrive at the gate. Alternatively, you can check your wheelchair along with your baggage, and then use a wheelchair from the airline if you can't walk to the gate.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
difficulty walking in NOLA

I empathize. I have moderate weakness on my left side after three minor brain bleeds in my 40's from a weak blood vessel in my brain that I was born with. I wear a leg brace to aid my stability.
Because I tire easily and worry about tripping and falling, I have thought about a wheelchair for my biannual trips to NOLA, but agree with the others that the city is not accommodating to them. If you go that route, just do what you can.
When I was there in December with a friend, we walked in congested areas, e.g., around the French Market, and took Uber for any distances -- there are plenty all over the tourist areas of the city. Cost was $5.75 directly to my credit card, and I knew the car description, license tag, and driver photo of the person picking us up and could watch their progress on a map on my phone. I just got my first smart phone two days before my trip, so this was quite an adventure! It worked very well.
If you take a wheelchair, you might want to check if it folds and goes into a vehicle without difficulty. When I pick up my mom (age 89) to go somewhere, we pick the one that collapses best. All taxis and Uber vehicles should have trunk space.
Good luck and enjoy!
Susan

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every unit at the QH is technically wheel chair accessible, but some units are more difficult than others. They have ramps for the stairs but it can be a pain since they are not always down and they may be leaned against the wall. I have a double stroller that is the legal max width of a wheel chair so I have plenty of experience getting it through the QH. It can definitely be a challenge.

There is a wheel chair entrance that leads directly to an elevator. Units 218 thru 418 are specifically designed for wheel chairs and right next to that elevator. If you are bent on going I would call the QH directly and inquire.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Checking out today. This week has been wonderful. New Orleans exceeded our expectations. I didn't get a wheel chair. We walked a lot. I had a hard time with the steep steps on the street car and getting off lower chairs but my husband helped me a lot. The two times I went down to my knees others would help me. Everyone was very nice and patient. We would go out in the a.m. and come back to the room for a rest and then go back out. We didn't get to see everything but I don't think anyone could. We will be back.

Some of my family was concerned and said I shouldn't go. Very happy I didn't listen to them.. thanks again for all the great advice on this thread and others.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
talkamotta, glad to hear you went and had a good time. You also appear to have caught the NOLA bug as you stated "We will be back"
Where else can you see the following two things in close proximity.

Royal%252520Street%252520Art%2525202.JPG" height="600" width="800"

St.%252520Louis%252520Cathedral%2525206%252520-%252520back%252520of%252520bldg.JPG" height="800" width="600"

St.%252520Louis%252520Cathedral%2525207%252520-%252520back%252520of%252520bldg..JPG" height="600" width="800"

Greg