• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's wrong with search functionality?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I run a search and put in two search terms, it appears to give me results with either search term, rather than both search terms. This is borderline useless to me. What's going on?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
[Correction] The vBulletin search is glitchy - on the drop down menu, click on google search instead.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
As has been discussed many times ;) the vBulletin search is glitchy - on the drop down menu, click on google search instead.

I have done that, but I find it to be a sub-optimal workaround. Problem with google search is that it also searches people's signatures and profiles. So if I want to search for what people have written about, say, "Welk", then I'm also going to get back all results with "Welk" in their profile or signature.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see this was merged with the "fatal error" problem, which I don't seem to experience anymore. Before the site was taken down a couple few weeks ago for some maintenance, I used to be able to search for two terms without a problem. Why is that? What happened? Is there some master admin setting that needs to be changed?

Alternatively, is there some sort of Boolean term I can add, like "AND" between the terms to make it only return posts with both terms?

[The two threads have been un-merged. - DeniseM]

Last edited by a moderator:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I see this was merged with the "fatal error" problem, which I don't seem to experience anymore. Before the site was taken down a couple few weeks ago for some maintenance, I used to be able to search for two terms without a problem. Why is that? What happened? Is there some master admin setting that needs to be changed?

Alternatively, is there some sort of Boolean term I can add, like "AND" between the terms to make it only return posts with both terms?

The fatal error problem was fixed by abandoning vBulletin's built in search in favor of the server's native mySQL service to search the message data base.

Some cursory testing I did this evening would seem to indicate that a boolean AND between two searh terms seemed to work.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hm, the boolean "AND" is not working for me.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, TUG search is officially useless...

I absolutely cannot search for two terms and have results constrained to only those posts that contain BOTH terms. This used to not be the case up until the last few weeks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have you tried the google search feature instead? it provides the exact same results.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if you refer to my post #3 above, you'll understand why I don't like it. Google is just too thorough in what it searches.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been poking around the internet, and I think this is a problem with vbulletin's settings that can be changed. See post #2 in first link below. Although, it may be moot since MakaiGuy said TUG is now on MySQL for search. Admittedly, I don't know much about SQL or coding, but I do believe this issue is configurable. Did you upgrade or do something recently?

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/sho...olean-search-with-quotes-inconsistent-results
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/fulltext-search.html
http://forums.devarticles.com/mysql...t-search-relavances-in-boolean-mode-3939.html
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=202367.0

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So no remedy yet?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Try it now. I've enabled Boolean searching as a perk for users identified as TUG Members.

In tests, searching for "makai club" (with the quotes) found posts with the phrase Makai Club.

Searches for makai +club found messages containing both words, although not necessarily together.

Searches for makai -club found messages containing the word makai but not the word club. It mostly came up with posts that mentioned my username in one way or another.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh man, this appears to work. This is great, thanks!!!!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hm, interesting thing. It works kind of, but something odd is happening. I did a search for "foxrun fsa" and got back results confined to those terms. But when I substitute "fsa" with "aviara", I get a more restrictive list, even though some of the threads that had come up with "fsa" actually contained "aviara" in the thread. So it is better than what it was by far, but something is awry with how it is working. It seems to have the same issue with or without adding the "+", so that doesnt seem to be the culprit. What could be causing this you think?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think words of less than 4 letters are being searched for.

foxrun fsa --> 500 posts (the search limits it to 500 to keep from bogging own the server too badly). I believe it should be posts containing foxrun or fsa. In a spot check of a dozen or so hits I didn't encounter fsa at all, so it looks like either fsa just didn't happen to show up in the posts I spot checked, or this 3-letter term was being ignored.

foxrun +fsa --> looks to be the same result list as foxrun fsa, which seems to confirm that the 3-letter fsa term is being ignored, even with the + in front of it, since again none of the posts I spot checked contained fsa, as they all should if the +fsa were being honored.

"foxrun fsa" --> just your post above, so apparently this is the only post where there two words appear together in that order. It also seems to indicate that a three letter word can be part of an exact search phrase, I guess because the search phrase is actually 10 letters long.

foxrun aviara --> only gave me 12 results, which contained both words, seemingly acting like foxrun +aviara rather than foxrun OR aviara. (??) Note that I didn't try this format earlier.

I guess we'll have to play around with this a bit before we understand it fully.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I knew about the 500 thread limit, but That is strange, when i did the search last night, foxrun fsa gave me a far narrower list of results, so fsa definitely wasn't being ignored when I ran it last night. It was something like 30 results, and then when I subbed "aviara" for "fsa", the results were even narrower.

But then I went back to the foxrun fsa search and confirmed that some of the results also contained "aviara", even though they didnt show up in the foxrun aviara search. I never put quotations around anything either.

I am stumped right now then.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug, take a look at the thread below, in thensightings forum. It contains both terms, foxrun and aviara. However when you run a search for both terms, it does not come back as a search result.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164561

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the night of Mar 8th when three letter search was active (foxrun fsa), the search for foxrun aviara was not returning accurate results and still isnt. I would have to assume that this inaccuracy is not confined to the word aviara, but is emblematic of a broader issue wih how someing is configured.