• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's new in TS, is RHC still in vogue & where are the points deals?

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been keeping up with you guys. We need to pick up a couple units.

Is RHC still a good idea?

Should we buy points resorts with low MF? Do they exist?

Should we buy another weeks resort with low MF for PFD?

I’m not clear on the points renting scheme, do I need to study it?

Are we still being quiet about our little gems? I figure trade power is not an issue with points, and the more popular the resort, the more likely the MF will stay down so although the selling price may be affected we all know that the MF is what we all concerned about. Therefore, there is no harm in sharing info, is there?

Inviting ideas!

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
RHC has worked for me but it does not work for everyone. I am forced to plan way earlier than I typically do and/or grab some say SF or other weeks and deposit them into SFX or another exchange co fall the year before.

I have noticed some points inflation with RHC and fees have gone up and I think it would accelerate since they must be having trouble selling new membership in a low economic cycle. London Allen House is getting hard to book unless you pay top points for the subletted apt at Nell Gwynn House. NYC Affinia Dumount is still a decent deal but you would need to book in the fall for next year. At this point, I might try 1 contract with RHC if I don't own already but would look for a shorter expiry date if possible in the 5-10 year range rather than the 20+ year range.

I am thinking seriously about the RCI points rental for 3 years since if I don't like it, I can walk away and if I do, I can renew or buy in more fully. I think RCI points is going to degrade too so the short 3 years lease give me a wait and see position. If I try RCI points out maybe I will sell one of my New Orleans week or use it for PFD since I have bought both week 10 and week 12 at the same resort and I only really use one week.

The other I am looking into is Hyatt since it seems to fit my needs and I like the Hyatt system to be able to book part weeks.. Which suites me better than SVO or HGVC that I looked into.

Since I am able to travel at short notice, I am surprised my Island Park Village white week with it s $350 M/F is able to pull Hyatt Key West at 45-75 days.. With exchange fee and membership fees, it is still less than $700 for the week and $100 per night for a 2bdrm Hyatt is a decent deal although I have seen some auctions for similar prices so that may make owning less compelling too.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
If You're Talking Renewable 3-Yr. R. T. U. Points-Timeshare Lease . . .

I’m not clear on the points renting scheme, do I need to study it?
. . . then what's to study ?

You sign up for 3 years, renewable.

If you like it, you re-up for 3 more years.

If not, you drop it like a hot rock.

If we had it to do over, instead of buying our dinky points timeshare we for sure would have gone with a 3-yr. RTU points-timeshare lease.

Live & learn, eh ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
The revaluation of RHC points had occured recently and there are pluses and minus. The prime, high and low season changed and some of the points changed.

I made a reservation for my sister for San Francisco Powell Place 1bdrm for August 09 about a month ago for 25,176 points which used to be high season, it is now Prime season and cost 31351 points. A June 09 reservation had even more inflation from 17767 mild season to 31351 prime season. But Mar / Apr was downgraded from high season to Low season from 25,176 to 17767 so I guess win/loss depend on your travel pattern.

J

JoeMid

Haven’t been keeping up with you guys. We need to pick up a couple units.
Why? Just rent from TS owners, it can be more cost effective in today's economy.

Is RHC still a good idea? is RHC still in vogue
RHC has never been in vogue but it works well for those who can navigate it and more points makes it better.

Last edited by a moderator: