• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's new in San Francisco?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're spending a few days in San Francisco at the beginning of February. We've been there several times before, and have done many/most of the usual things, and seen a lot of the well-known sites. Anybody have new(er) things to suggest we do? We'll be there during the week, not on a weekend, staying at the WorldMark, near Union Square.

Dave

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Take a drive down to Stanford and check out the Campus. No homeless there :D

Cheers

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you done Lands End? This may be part of the usual sites, but I have taken folks there and enjoyed the views. Beautiful area and typically not as busy as many of the sites.

I also end up in Pacifica frequently. Nick's feels like a supper club back in time and has amazing crab sandwiches and beautiful views. Moonraker next door is more upscale and both have great views. Fun to watch folks surfing.

Pacifica is on Hwy 1 halfway to Half Moon Bay another fun area to explore.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Are you into art? We always enjoy SFMOMA.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Check this site https://sfcityguides.org/ for a great list of options - they are free (tip only) walking tours led by local residents passionate about their city. We always book a tour or two while we visit. My absolute favorite was a tour of the Fairmont (we were there just before Christmas so it was extra special!) although that is one that isn't offered often so you have to lucky enough to be visiting when it is offered. Another favorite was the Alfred Hitchcock tour, but honestly they are all well done. If you are any kind of a history buff you will find something interesting.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building Tuesday/Thursday 10am-2pm, rain or shine. Take the F line trolley which drops you off in front of the building.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
The Walt Disney Museum in the Presidio is very good.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Some great ideas, folks. Thanks! I got a new camera for Christmas, and I'm anxious to use it. Hope the weather cooperates!

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building Tuesday/Thursday 10am-2pm, rain or shine. Take the F line trolley which drops you off in front of the building.
It should be walkable from where they are staying.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The trolleys retro-fitted to art deco era style are great to ride. I enjoyed the curio museum at Pier Whatever...old penny arcade and vintage games that actually work. Near there is a restaurant in an indoor "farmers" market in Ferry Bldg, that has the best ever grilled cheese made to order with artisan cheese. Best thing I did in August was go on a wine tasting all-day tour to both Napa and Sonoma, using a Groupon. I need to dig up the name of the company, it was fabulous and well, I guess I forget the company name due to visiting five wineries and having mimosas first thing that morning on their chauffeured passenger van. :cool:

P.S. I just found the tour company I used...the chauffeur Abe was funny and way cool! I would do it every visit to San Francisco...and check groupon to see if they have a deal! https://www.winecountrylimos.com/

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will second Land's End/Sutros Bath ruins. You'll also be able to eat at the Cliff House and visit their little gift shop which was surprisingly nice.

I was going to go to San Francisco next summer and have read various forums/trip reports on other websites. It sounds like it has become very bad in the evenings. Major tourist spots that are hopping with people during the day become toilets and people will do drugs right out in the open because there are no longer consequences for any of that according to people who live/work in the area. Just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware as I certainly wasn't. I didn't see any of that last summer, but I was only there for a couple days.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will second Land's End/Sutros Bath ruins. You'll also be able to eat at the Cliff House and visit their little gift shop which was surprisingly nice.

I was going to go to San Francisco next summer and have read various forums/trip reports on other websites. It sounds like it has become very bad in the evenings. Major tourist spots that are hopping with people during the day become toilets and people will do drugs right out in the open because there are no longer consequences for any of that according to people who live/work in the area. Just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware as I certainly wasn't. I didn't see any of that last summer, but I was only there for a couple days.
That may be true in certain areas downtown. I stayed in Hayes Valley one week and walked back and forth alone to Divisadero and back, no problem. I had no issues the week I stayed on Nob Hill...this was just this past August. I also took BART to Oakland and back to see King Crimson...no problem. I went to Great American Music Hall one night to see Drab Majesty, walked there and it was after dark, and I took a cab back to my timeshare. You make it sound like folks are going to trip over homeless and druggies...simply not true. They also want to be safe and tend not to hang out on the streets at night!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
We were staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area last part of November/first part of December and had no problems. From the sounds of things we were expecting lots of homeless people, not true.