• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Your Vacation Says About You

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
An opinion piece in the NY Times says some interesting things about vacations:

vacation planning tends to bring happiness

people derive little to no happiness boost from vacations they perceive as stressful

introverts prefer the mountains while extroverts prefer the ocean

for Europeans, the fallback topic is always, “Where are you going on vacation this year?”

the average student loses a month of academic progress during summer vacation

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/opinion/what-your-vacation-says-about-you.html

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Good article. Being a borderline extrovert, I live in the mountains; when we vacation we go to the mountains also- just farther up north- but I also love water, so we always can find a semi- uncrowded lake beach somewhere, surrounded by mountains, of course. As much as I love the ocean, I loathe places like the New Jersey or Long Island (NY) shores with miles and miles of people along the sand, not to mention traffic! If I know there will be crowds or traffic to go anywhere I simply don't go. That eliminates most beaches here on the East Coast, unfortunately. I'd rather be on my own deck surrounded by woods and peace and quiet. After working all week, I need to rejuvenate!

Now- give me some beaches in Kauai where there are hardly any people on the sand- that is heaven to me! Of course, Kauai has- uh-mountains!

I am a big planner, but I also allow down time in the itinerary. I prefer vacations to our home resorts where we have a pleasant 6 hour drive- no flying!- and can hunker in a bit. Even when we did fly- last time was to Scotland a few years ago- I left the last day to do nothing- just hang out at the cottage. I felt guilty as we were only there for a week and could only see so much, but I felt we needed a break from all the stress of planning and driving and navigating the area- our first time ever overseas.

Funny- I have a job where I have to visit clients' offices everyday and I always ask if anyone has any vacations planned. I rarely ask anything about work! I probably should have been born in Europe!

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good article. Being a borderline extrovert, I live in the mountains; when we vacation we go to the mountains also- just farther up north- but I also love water, so we always can find a semi- uncrowded lake beach somewhere, surrounded by mountains, of course. As much as I love the ocean, I loathe places like the New Jersey or Long Island (NY) shores with miles and miles of people along the sand, not to mention traffic! If I know there will be crowds or traffic to go anywhere I simply don't go. That eliminates most beaches here on the East Coast, unfortunately. I'd rather be on my own deck surrounded by woods and peace and quiet. After working all week, I need to rejuvenate!

Now- give me some beaches in Kauai where there are hardly any people on the sand- that is heaven to me! Of course, Kauai has- uh-mountains!

I am a big planner, but I also allow down time in the itinerary. I prefer vacations to our home resorts where we have a pleasant 6 hour drive- no flying!- and can hunker in a bit. Even when we did fly- last time was to Scotland a few years ago- I left the last day to do nothing- just hang out at the cottage. I felt guilty as we were only there for a week and could only see so much, but I felt we needed a break from all the stress of planning and driving and navigating the area- our first time ever overseas.

Funny- I have a job where I have to visit clients' offices everyday and I always ask if anyone has any vacations planned. I rarely ask anything about work! I probably should have been born in Europe!

You strike me as full-blown card-carrying extrovert. Unless you're one of those who is totally engaging online but not irl.

They didn't mention the three fallback topics in America:

1. Will you be able to afford to go anywhere on vacation this year?
2. Why does your lack of business and staffing planning mean I have to cancel my vacation this year?
3. Do you think I'll still have a job when I return from vacation?

:hysterical:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You strike me as full-blown card-carrying extrovert. Unless you're one of those who is totally engaging online but not irl.

They didn't mention the three fallback topics in America:

1. Will you be able to afford to go anywhere on vacation this year?
2. Why does your lack of business and staffing planning mean I have to cancel my vacation this year?
3. Do you think I'll still have a job when I return from vacation?

:hysterical:

LOL! I took that Meyers Briggs test once- my cousin was the psychologist- he said although I was on the borderline of extroversion, I actually PREFER introversion. That actually made sense to me- knowing me as I do! LOL!

I like talking with people and socializing. But I need a lot of alone time. I studied Journalism in college as I always liked to write when I was a kid. I used to dream of being like an Emily Dickinson- kind of a hermit writer- but I could never be to that extreme.I do l love communicating on-line- best thing for someone with my personality!

I am gregarious. People say I am funny. But I hate noise and crowds. And, I am a homebody also, despite liking to travel. I guess people are complicated and don't necessarily fit into one category. But, I still consider myself an introvert overall. A bit reserved initially but once I know you very open and talkative.With me- what you see is what you get. Being in marketing (in person customer service and PR) I have to extrovert myself and I think that is a learned trait in my case. It's hard to survive in a world of extroverts if you are not one of them!

Love your questions. As for # 1- that is what is good about being a timeshare owner- vacation is already paid and you don't have to spend a lot of money when you go to your resort if you can't afford it.

#2 and #3-so funny! I always say at work- I am going on my vacations no matter what! Here are my dates. Don't like it-FIRE ME! I don't give a &()%#$!
:rofl:

Last edited:

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Perfect! Multivert! Ambivert! :)

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
The difference between introverts and extroverts isn't their ability to enjoy being with people. It's where do they get their energy and recharge. introverts need time alone to recharge; extroverts get their energy from being with people. So lots of introverts (like me) can be talkative and outgoing; but they then need some alone time to recharge.

My favorite vacations for relaxing are beach ones, but our family is content to relax on beach chairs and read for lots of the day, so it's a little "alone" time in a way. We usually aren't on the wall to wall beaches, where others are an annoying presence.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I consider myself more introverted, everyone else tells me otherwise. Having said that, I much prefer mountains to beaches. I've been to Hawaii, the Caribbean, and numerous other domestic beaches, and I've yet to see anything as beautiful/tranquil/inspirational as what is found in the mountains that are within a couple hours of my house.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The difference between introverts and extroverts isn't their ability to enjoy being with people. It's where do they get their energy and recharge. introverts need time alone to recharge; extroverts get their energy from being with people. So lots of introverts (like me) can be talkative and outgoing; but they then need some alone time to recharge.

My favorite vacations for relaxing are beach ones, but our family is content to relax on beach chairs and read for lots of the day, so it's a little "alone" time in a way. We usually aren't on the wall to wall beaches, where others are an annoying presence.

Yup - that's me- introvert. I like people but I get exhausted from them.