• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you add to list of essential/approved...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
As I said, they are open for emergencies. I just recently got a post card from them to schedule my next exam. I'm going to call and schedule one for a month or so out, then if I have to cancel I will.

I think dental offices are doing the same thing. Emergencies only, in fact I think by order of our state dental offices are to be closed except for emergencies.

I meant that as a joke. That is why I added the smiley face.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am not saying gardening is essential. The stores get away with it because part of the store sells essential items. You can keep 6 ft away from folks when buying gardening supplies and they are mainly outdoors. You cannot stay 6 ft away from a doctor or a nurse and what it's more, it is indoors.

Yes, I get it. This was another one of my TUG jokes gone bad. It is funny to me what is considered essential vs non-essential. For me, I am sticking to food, medicine, medical care, pet care and safety issues as essential.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I will be calling my moms eye doctor as her macular shot is April 23 in NYC to see if it is still set or if he chooses to hold off another week or two. These shots are essential for patients not to go blind.

Whereas mom is listening and staying in, except to throw out garbage or get the mail in the lobby, there will be no choice if she wants to maintain her vision in her one eye( the other she lost vision in as a child). You can only be so careful, at some point everyone will take risk if something medically not virus related has to be taken care of.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My votes:

Gyms with equipment more than 10 feet apart and with disinfectant applied before after every use.

In-home (or on front porch) hair appointment. Both wear masks and face shield on stylist. Stylist and client will need to have negative test and daily temperature reading before appt.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My votes:

Gyms with equipment more than 10 feet apart and with disinfectant applied before after every use.

In-home (or on front porch) hair appointment. Both wear masks and face shield on stylist. Stylist and client will need to have negative test and daily temperature reading before appt.
At times when too many people were in the hair salon with high percentage hair processing it would bother me. My beautician would would apply the dye to my roots outside in the front of store if necessary. Even once I went home and washed it out myself, both can be options now.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
So preventative care is non essential but gardening is essential. What is the world coming to? ;)

We probably need to wait another 2-3 months to really know if gardening is essential...

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We probably need to wait another 2-3 months to really know if gardening is essential...
I think vegetable gardening should definitely be essential. However, we may be talking about where the seeds and plants are obtained.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How can one really know if he or she has COVID-19? Preventative care is non-urgent and hence non-essential. If one has a medical concern which should be seen to now, medical offices are open for that. By keeping services to only those who need to be seen now keeps the COVID-19 spread down.

Well the OP asked what we thought should be essential when things start to open up and that is what I think.

geekette

Reaction score
So preventative care is non essential but gardening is essential. What is the world coming to? ;)
With all the reports of food service disruptions, gardening is becoming essential for anyone that wants to be sure they can eat! I am definitely planting veggies and not seeing my doctors.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think vegetable gardening should definitely be essential. However, we may be talking about where the seeds and plants are obtained.
With all the reports of food service disruptions, gardening is becoming essential for anyone that wants to be sure they can eat! I am definitely planting veggies and not seeing my doctors.
One of my neighbors told me his wife is ripping out all of her flower beds and planting vegetables instead. It's too early for dh to plant, probably not until the end of May.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seeds were actually hard to get online. The selection was slim. Seems many are doing veggie gardens.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Seeds were actually hard to get online. The selection was slim. Seems many are doing veggie gardens.
Dh has done a vegetable garden for years. I really miss the one he had in California. We could eat out of that for months. How long do seeds last I wonder?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I googled ”gardening coronavirus“ and learned that planting vegetable gardens is big right now. They can’t keep up with demand. The articles say people are scared that they won’t get food if the food supply chains fail. Interesting. I would have never thought about growing my own food. I am not worried about getting food. I have confidence that food will be available. But who knows, I never imagined a global pandemic shutting down the world. Maybe food shortages are next.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Not worried about food shortage. Interested in re-starting our garden this year because we are not traveling and can attend to it.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dh has done a vegetable garden for years. I really miss the one he had in California. We could eat out of that for months. How long do seeds last I wonder?

Generally they're good for 2 years, and we have had pretty good success up to 3 years. This year we used a lot of our leftover seeds from previous years and thankfully most of them still sprouted.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lowe’s and a Home Depot’s stores are really booming in our areas especially their building supplies departments, and their lawn and garden departments.

geekette

Reaction score
In-home is a burden on hair dressers. They do not normally make house calls and should not have to enter homes. Porch still implies transport on their own dime.

What about staking out a claim on a gazebo in a park? One client at a time.

geekette

Reaction score
Seeds can last a very long time if kept cool and dry. A friend had seeds from her garage with no idea how long she'd had them. I kept them in my garage for a couple years. Last year I finally got around to them and was very surprised by how many "took"! Try them before tossing them.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as seeds - hubby does the planting/gardening. He saves the seeds from last year's veggies and then plants them this year. There are some that he buys each year though.

geekette

Reaction score
I googled ”gardening coronavirus“ and learned that planting vegetable gardens is big right now. They can’t keep up with demand. The articles say people are scared that they won’t get food if the food supply chains fail. Interesting. I would have never thought about growing my own food. I am not worried about getting food. I have confidence that food will be available. But who knows, I never imagined a global pandemic shutting down the world. Maybe food shortages are next.
I have always considered my home as possible self-contained hunker bunker so growing food has always been a thing here, every one of the 20 years. Wood stove with fuel falling free in the yard is a bonus (one of my HVAC zones has been out for a couple months, the stove made the difference). Eventually I'll put the well on a generator so I can have water service during power outage.

I think it depends on where you live, and what type of lifestyle you're living. One could tell how stressful my job was by how large my garden. I had no kids to attend to. Husband mowed lawn so that time consuming chore was not mine.

geekette

Reaction score
One of my neighbors told me his wife is ripping out all of her flower beds and planting vegetables instead. It's too early for dh to plant, probably not until the end of May.
It has to be late for me, too, hopefully late April/early May. I can count on my great dirt being covered by the damned helicopters. Every single year I have to pick those out. annoying chore.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
1.) Hiking Trails. Since our trails are already staffed with cops keeping people out, maybe they can start to let people in with a reservation system,
2.) Dog Grooming. I use a mobile groomer now and she's still operating, but the brick and mortar shops are closed and I know a few owners and groomers who are in a panic state. It seems like there could be a one dog at a time option.
3.) Libraries. Seems like it would be easy to let people in a few at a time, but I haven't frequented libraries in many years, so many it's not as easy as I think.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
My reply was none of those should be considered essential at this time.

When would the three listed EVER be essential?

Swimming pools, restaurants, and hair salons? Maybe I don't understand the word but I imagine a pyramid with water, food, and medicine are at the top and everything else comes under that.