• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What will you do with your DC points when you need to sell ?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug's post about the trading deficit of the DC points got me going again on this subject.

I know there are some great benefits to the DC points system, and many of you have signed on. The system can be leveraged for great short stays, and savings of fees. That is fantastic.

However Doug has proven a real deficit in trading value.

I also wanted to ask the people that have thus far signed on to the DC system a really serious question?

All things being equal, and not much movement on Marriott's part to accommodate the resale of DC points. What do you plan on doing with your points if say you need to sell them next year, 5 years, 20 years. I know this is not the first thing on your mind now. Please don't tell me that you will worry about it later. Put yourself in the scenario now as if you had to sell your points. How would you reconcile this. I mean seriously, there is a viable resale market now. But as far as I can tell there is no market whatsoever for resale points?

Please correct me if I am wrong because I would love to learn about this?

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

Billy...

all of the participants onthis forum are legacy week owners that have enrolled in Dc and have the option of usingDC points. When we sell, we will be selling our Legacy deeded weeks...

Pure Trust points are almost unable to be given away due to draconian restrictions...

Not many posts from these owners...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Billy,

Puck's given you a good answer for we TUGgers but your question is spot on for the unfortunate Trust Points purchaser who is stuck with something that has limited resale ability (and a high MF). As we understand it today they look to be stuck with a near-total loss of their purchase price.

Unfortunately, we see the pattern where developers don't really care about the near-total loss of the purchase price by their customers. Starwood and Wyndham, two systems that I know reasonably well, have deliberately made decisions/instituted rules that directly reduce the value of the timeshares, in the interests of reducing competition from the resale market.

Marriott appears to have taken this same path -- whatever residual value in the old days was directly related to the legacy week, and seasons/locations would determine value retention. But where the value is related to whatever rights and privileges the developer provides? That's a real gamble....

Net net -- many unhappy owners in Marriott's future when this sinks in.

Best,

Greg

Edited: I agree with Billy's comments in the next post -- and edited out my ROFR comment -- no need to distract the thread -- thx!

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

As always thanks for your well written explanation. I have witnessed the debates on ROFR, and I don't wish to see another debate in this thread.

Thanks,

Bill

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I think this is a great point which is something every prospective new buyer should consider. Things unfortunately happen in life that aren't planned, and I think that's a huge limitation in the new program. A new points buyer may have something that, forget about what price it can be sold for, may not be sellable at any price, because the limited use may not warrant the MF's.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the OP question points out the great misunderstanding of DC.
For multiple week owners of lock-off the DC program is great.

When I use my weeks like normal I save on fees.
When I reach the point where I have too many deposits, or if I need to trade down (short stay, off season, etc...) I am no longer subject to the II skim.

I gain lots and lose nothing.

Most are still taking a wait and see on real points and until Marriott starts building anything new, don't see any real advantage.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Billy,

Puck's given you a good answer for we TUGgers but your question is spot on for the unfortunate Trust Points purchaser who is stuck with something that has limited resale ability (and a high MF). As we understand it today they look to be stuck with a near-total loss of their purchase price.

Unfortunately, we see the pattern where developers don't really care about the near-total loss of the purchase price by their customers. Starwood and Wyndham, two systems that I know reasonably well, have deliberately made decisions/instituted rules that directly reduce the value of the timeshares, in the interests of reducing competition from the resale market.

Marriott appears to have taken this same path -- whatever residual value in the old days was directly related to the legacy week, and seasons/locations would determine value retention. But where the value is related to whatever rights and privileges the developer provides? That's a real gamble....

Net net -- many unhappy owners in Marriott's future when this sinks in.

Best,

Greg

Edited: I agree with Billy's comments in the next post -- and edited out my ROFR comment -- no need to distract the thread -- thx!

We were just advised this week, during our 'Owner Update' presentation at MGV (by a Sales Director, not the Sales Exec presenting to us) that the DC Repurchase Program is moving forward and owners can expect a buy-back rate of approximately .40 on the dollar should they need to sell. Not a total wash IMHO, considering legacy weeks (generally) are not reselling at or near this level of return (unless possibly you were selling a week you purchased resale yourself).

.40 on the dollar isn't as good as .50, but it's better than .30.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just advised this week, during our 'Owner Update' presentation at MGV (by a Sales Director, not the Sales Exec presenting to us) that the DC Repurchase Program is moving forward and owners can expect a buy-back rate of approximately .40 on the dollar should they need to sell. Not a total wash IMHO, considering legacy weeks (generally) are not reselling at or near this level of return (unless possibly you were selling a week you purchased resale yourself).

.40 on the dollar isn't as good as .50, but it's better than .30.

Congratulations on you purchase of DC points. Use them well and enjoy!

Anyone affiliated with the Sales Dept, from the President on down is a salesman. You know what we say here on TUG... If their lips were moving, they must be (fill in the blank).

After reading the other commentaries on today's postings many of the experts here feel it is not in Marriott's best interest to buy back points since we already know they are flooded with inventory. They will not market any buy back program, not a priority. When we start to see some real experience then I will believe it.

Last edited:

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I don't know all the ins and outs of the Marriott points system, which is decidedly IMHO much more confusing than the Disney system..but Disney has a market for resale points. Although it has gotten more and more restrictive, it is better than resale on weekly timeshares. I think the market at Marriott will evolve but it is certainly a bad time in the economy for this to move ain a great direction.