• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What will be my options

SiriusHGVC

Reaction score
I am about to close and part of the deal was 8400 points for 2008. I will not be able to use this and given that my membership will probably be formalized in Nov-Dec, I do not want these point go to waste.

What are my options? Given that I have this should I banked my 2009 points?

Best,

Joe

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
You can pay a small fee to rescue those points, Hilton speak for banking to next year. Worth the money not to waste them.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Contact Hilton about the Club Points Protection Program. You can either rescue the points for use in 2009 at a HGVC resort or deposit them into RCI for a future exchange within the next two years. It costs about $69.00.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I concur with those who suggest that you "rescue" your points for use in 2009, but your use will be limited to Hilton club reservations. Hilton's RCI program is too clunky, IMHO, since you have to call them to find a unit.

If, as a consequence, you will not need your 2009 points for use in 2009, you can also "deposit" them for 2010, but you need to do this by 12/31/08. The advantage of a "deposit" is that, if you later change your mind and want to use them in 2009, you can "borrow" them back w/o charge.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rescued my 2008 points by paying $69. I made reservation for 2009, and used that rescued points along with 2009 points. If you think you cannot use rescued point until 2009, deposit is better. Once you rescue the points, you have to use it by 2009. If you deposit the points, you have 2 years to use (until 2010).

SiriusHGVC

Reaction score
Thanks guys. With the economy going like it is, I think we will be only going and using up the 8400. I will bank the 2009 as suggested and either use it 2010 or plug back in 2009 if we need another vacation.

Do you think I will be able to book Hawaii (2br) with the rescued points--Waikoloa preferably but HHV will do but ocean view.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do rescue the points, which I have also done in the past, remember the points must be used in 2009 at a Hilton Developed/not affiliate resort.

jscboston

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sunrise (Park City UT), The District by Hilton Club (DC), HGVC Flamingo (Las Vegas, baby!)
I rescued my 2008 points by paying $69. I made reservation for 2009, and used that rescued points along with 2009 points. If you think you cannot use rescued point until 2009, deposit is better. Once you rescue the points, you have to use it by 2009. If you deposit the points, you have 2 years to use (until 2010).

I'm in a similar situation, having recently closed on an HGVC purchase with 2008 points that I will be unable to use. I spoke to a counselor at HGVC who told me that "rescued" points must be used by 12/31/09. Points that are "deposited" to RCI have a two-year window for use. But there is no way to "deposit" them into the HGVC system and use them in 2010. If anyone else's understanding is different, I would be interested to hear from them.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm in a similar situation, having recently closed on an HGVC purchase with 2008 points that I will be unable to use. I spoke to a counselor at HGVC who told me that "rescued" points must be used by 12/31/09. Points that are "deposited" to RCI have a two-year window for use. But there is no way to "deposit" them into the HGVC system and use them in 2010.

Part of the problem with HGVC is that it almost takes an advanced degree in linguistics to fully comprehend the meaning and effect of their "magic words."

If you "rescue" 2008 points, you must use them for club reservations in 2009. But if you "deposit" 2008 points to RCI, you'll get a two-year window in which to use them for an RCI reservation (clunky, IMHO).

HOWEVER, if you think that you will not be needing your 2009 allotment (say you "rescued" enuff 2008 points), then you can make an early "deposit" (transfer) of your 2009 points into 2010. This must be done B4 the year starts. The benefit of this early "deposit" is that these points are not restricted. If you later decide you want to use them in 2009, you can "borrow" them back for free.

Last edited: