• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to tip movers?

22go

Reaction score
We are moving from N.Y. to Va. It took a crew of 3 men 8 hours to load the van. Tomorrow they will deliver the furniture and we were told it should take about 5 hours. Does anyone have any ideas as to a tip for each worker. The entire cost of the move is about $4300. Thanks for any help. We have never moved before and hope to never move again.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've moved a lot, unfortunately, and since I've been in condos more often than not, it generally only takes about 5 hours to get me packed up and out (I do a ton of preparation work -- despite most of my moves being corporate -- I just can't help myself!). I usually tip $50/mover -- I think I've almost always had 3 movers and a boss who keeps track of the inventory.

I've never had the same movers on both sides -- so it usually totals $400 ($200 on each side).

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why?

Don't these guys get paid by the moving company?

I don't get it.

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have moved several times, and I have never even thought about tipping the movers. :wall: YIKES! Is tipping movers customary?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only used professional movers once and the last thing on my mind was tipping them. Someone should have paid me! What a job; physically, mentally and emotionally; even with paid movers! Why would they be tipped? Because they did their job? They didn't break anything? I don't get it.

mterra

TUG Member
Reaction score
It never crossed my mind to tip. I did buy lunch and kept them hydrated.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a household goods mover for several years. Some folks tipped, others didn't. Most sprung for lunch. A few sodas in a cooler is appreciated. Usually the driver (if it's an over-the-road move) arranges help on each end which may or may not come from the moving company. Local moves use in-house employees. I would (and have) tip the driver- or- crew leader and ask that he spread it around. Or if you see your mover going the extra mile, tip him or her separately. ( I used to wash any cars I hauled and reassembled anything that was KD'd. I would haul houseplants in wardrobes, etc) Sometimes it's less expensive than having them measure the exact number of steps from the truck or 'creatively' weighing the load.

Jim Ricks

RahRah

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we did our move a few years ago, we tipped on each end ... on the move-out side we had three guys + driver/manager, the crew got $50 each (nothing for the driver/manager on that end since he was driving our stuff out), on the move-in side we had four guys + same driver/manager, the crew got $50 each and the driver/manager got $150 for what we thought was an incredible job on both ends! All totaled we tipped out $500 for a $7200 move. On each end we also provided lunch, some snacks and beverages throughout the day. In my experience (and I've moved a lot) if you take care of your moving crew, they take care of your stuff quite nicely....and at the end of the day, when all your stuff is as it should be, with no damage and it's all accounted for, the tip is a thank you, for a job well done, in my mind.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
No tip from us

We never thought tipping should be part of most jobs and moved about 20 times and never tipped.I was surprised to hear of others that did tip. We often provided drinks and sometimes food.IMHO if you tip movers why not electricians,plumbers,and anyone who you hire for a job?
My wife and I taught 50 years between us and never received tips although
small gifts were awkwardly accepted although not really desired.

RahRah

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, I see moving guys like any other person in the service industry (haircuts, waitress, etc.), thus feel that a tip is earned for a job well done. Like other service industry folks, they work hard for what really is low pay if you think about the back-breaking work they do. In my mind a tip says thank you for doing something I can't do myself, I appreciate you doing it and appreciate the attentiveness and care you've given my property.

I do think, after having lived on the east coast and now in the midwest, that the thinking on tipping varies by region of the country.....since moving here (midwest) we've continued to tip as we've always done while living in NY/DC/NJ/CT and a lot of folks are surprised to get a tip.....like the furniture delivery guys who delivered my sofa and two bedroom sets a couple of weeks ago - said they usually don't get tips, but certainly appreciate them! It wasn't a big tip in my mind - $10 for each of the two delivery guys - but they took good care of bringing things into the house, set up everything for me, moved some things around - all totaled, spent about an hour in my home.....in my view they went above and beyond what was expected, thus earned a financial thank you from me.....$20 total for an hour of good service from guys being paid just $8 an hour to deliver furniture. Ya know what? When they deliver the rest of my order on Friday this week, I KNOW they're going to do a great job again!